my camaro got up to 240 then I shut it down - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 07, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Johnny

Unhappy my camaro got up to 240 then I shut it down

I hope I did not damage anything. It was boiling down the overflow I put aprox 1 gal. of anti freeze and the rest water. I have a 396 that is bored 30 over with a new stock- 4 core rad automatic, water pump, fan shroud, 5 blade fan with a clutch, 180 thermostat, and a tranny cooler in front. The car is running great and it is only 72 F outside but I was in heavy traffic for at least 40 min.

http://,

67Camaro 396BB 750Holley, edlebrock performer,280isky,3.42 posi, turbo 350,stage 2 shift kit, 2800 stall, MSDready to run distributor, headers, 2.5"exhaust, Hotchkis(1.5"/2"drop).(orig.Deep water blue/light blue dlx inter, v8 column shift/bench seat)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 07, 07:01 PM

Re: my camaro got up to 240 then I shut it down

i wouldnt worry johnny...you really have to cook the hell out of an iron headed motor to hurt it...maybe you should add a pusher for those traffic riddled days...just a thought...
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 07, 07:04 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Erik

I have had mine get really hot like that also and all was okay. What radiator do you use? I have a stock 3-row. Was thinking of going to 4-row.

Erik
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
with original 350/295

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 07, 07:04 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
"Tri-Tip"

How is your timing set up? Retarded timing can cause over-heating issues.

"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." ..... George Washington

Gary,TC Member with a Lemans Blue/Ivory 02D X33, DZ, M20, MS, flat hood. Only the BU code rear end is original.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 07, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Johnny

lol, yeah thats good to hear. The engine still sounds okay.

I checked the clutch and it has 3/16 of play in it but no oil on the front spring and it has some drag to it when I spin it.

67Camaro 396BB 750Holley, edlebrock performer,280isky,3.42 posi, turbo 350,stage 2 shift kit, 2800 stall, MSDready to run distributor, headers, 2.5"exhaust, Hotchkis(1.5"/2"drop).(orig.Deep water blue/light blue dlx inter, v8 column shift/bench seat)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 07, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Johnny

Its a stock 4 core from US radiator. I am not sure about the timing but I can call my mechanic. It has a mild cam in it I believe its a 280.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 07, 07:17 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

Oh, you are talking about temperature. I thought you were talking MPH! I was going to congratulate you.

Skunk Works
302DZ, M22W Muncie, GV overdrive,12-Bolt Rear 3.73
Some photos:

Member # 159
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 07, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Johnny

Quote:
Originally Posted by X33D80 View Post
Oh, you are talking about temperature. I thought you were talking MPH! I was going to congratulate you.

lol, I'm afraid to take my eyes off the road to look at the speedo when my car gets goin that fast.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 07, 08:23 PM
Senior Tech
luke

after a nite of racing i lost a fan belt driving home and tried to make it without stopping. i was about 1 mile from my house and blew the upper hose off the thermostat housing at 260*. waited 30 min got some water from a gas station to fill my radiator and got it home. even though it got that hot i never had a problem afterwards.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 07, 12:53 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

I changed to a 7 blade fan with a heavy duty rated fan clutch on my 68 Camaro BB 396 and it really pulls a LOT more air through the radiator at lower engine speeds. Runs cooler if you are caught in traffic. I have also been known to turn on the heater on high fan to help cool an engine in hot weather in traffic. You will sweat big time, but keeps the engine from excessively over heating
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode