67/8 camaro Gen 4 Vintage Air install pictures - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 07, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Thumbs up 67/8 camaro Gen 4 Vintage Air install pictures

I am about 80% done with the Gen 4 install in my 68. Here is a link to some of the install pictures. The only picture I forgot to take was how the factory controller is integrated into the new system. Overall it hasn't been too tough, just time consuming. I like to take on alot at one time (glutten for punishment), I am doing the VA system, a street and performance pulley system and converting to a covans dash unit. Let me know if anyone has any questions.

http://rides.webshots.com/album/560202775dZkBLK

Chris
1968 Camaro SS coupe, Lemans Blue/medium blue interior
LS3/T56 Ridetech Suspension
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 07, 09:41 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dennis

Re: 67/8 camaro Gen 4 Vintage Air install pictures

Sounds like were doing the same install with the VA and Covan dash except mine's on a 69. Glad to hear no real problems with the install. Mine's still in the box. Not ready yet.

One thing I ran into previously with the performance pulley system to be aware of is, it will reduce the speed of the alternator pulley, so at idle it really drops off. I had to order a smaller diameter alternator pulley to keep the proper ratio with the crank. Ideal a 3 to 1 ratio, but I got around 2.7 to 1 and it was fine. I would think this would be pretty important to keep the alternator putting out the proper ouput at idle with the addition of the VA. Just something to keep in mind.

Keep ups posted of your progress!

Dennis
69 Z/28. 302DZ, Autogear M22, Red w/black stripes.
69 Camaro, ZZ4, 700R4, 8.5 3:42 posi, X11
70 Nova SS 396, 4sp, 3:55 12 bolt
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 07, 08:21 AM
Senior Tech
Charlie

Another thing to be aware of is the water pump pulley. I have heard so many people complain about their car overheating after installing a pulley kit because of the difference in water pump pulley diameters. When you get the kit make sure you compare the pump pullies to be sure they are the same. The last thing you want to do is slow down the water pump, especially with a/c.

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 07, 08:27 AM
Senior Tech
Charlie

Did you have to remove the fender, what happens to the glove box, and did that control selector come with the kit or did you special order it? I am thinking about installing a gen IV on my 67 and any help you can give would be appreciated. Thanks.

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 07, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Thumbs up Re: 67/8 camaro Gen 4 Vintage Air install pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67CamaroRS/SS View Post
Did you have to remove the fender, what happens to the glove box, and did that control selector come with the kit or did you special order it? I am thinking about installing a gen IV on my 67 and any help you can give would be appreciated. Thanks.
1. I removed an old surefit kit so I didn't. If you still have the old heater box, then you can do that or you might be able to just loosen the inner fender. I removed the fender, it was a pain but made it easier in the long run.

2. The kit comes with a ABS plastic glove box that replaces the old one.

3. The gen 4 kit uses the original heater control. You remove all of the cables and install their "adapters". The finished heater control is the only thing I didn't take a picture of initially. It is a pretty easy conversion.

I am going out of town this weekend and will get back to it next week. Let me know if you guys need anymore info.

Chris
1968 Camaro SS coupe, Lemans Blue/medium blue interior
LS3/T56 Ridetech Suspension
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode