After Market A/c Kits - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 07, 06:33 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
tim

After Market A/c Kits

Has anyone ever used the Sure Fit A/C Kit? I saw one installed on the show Muscle Cars this weekend. seem to go in pretty easy. Please let me know if anyone has used this kit before.

Thanks, Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 07, 11:23 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Re: After Market A/c Kits

From pics I've seen of the Vintage Air gen IV kits it looks like they've addressed the issues I had with the sure fit kit I installed about a year ago. I'd make sure you're not buying old stock of the old design. On the old style you had to bring all the hoses through the firewall and connect them to the evaporator. The new model has the evaporator fittings extending through the firewall making the connections much easier and cleaner. As far as function, it's keeping me cool even on the 95+ days.

Dave

all gave some
MY SON GAVE ALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 07, 06:55 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

The Classic auto Air was designed from the beginning to have the evaporator tubes through the firewall. Once the old heater is removed, Installation is EASY.
Here is a great deal on the Classic auto Air kit. It uses Separate heater core and AC evaporator, not a low efficiency combined unit like others do.
Also if a $10-$20 part fails down the road the unit can be disassembled and the part replaced, The others glue their cases together, so be careful on what you buy. Saving $200 now will end up costing you years of less comfort, and more aggravation from the very beginning.

71 Camaro 355 NA
11.1650 @ 119.30
1.5028 60'

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 07, 04:38 PM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

Well I guess what is posted above is true about replacing parts, in either situation you will most likely be pulling the case out to fix the problem. The Vintage Air case is what's being said as "glued". You can send it back to vintage for repairs. Even if I do have to wait 2 weeks for a repair, I would expect the wait time to be the same since I would have to disassemble the classic unit, trouble shoot and then order the part. in my opinion just sending it to the professionals would be best. I would most likey just send back a classic unit to the factory for repair to make sure it's done right.

I also don't buy into the "built for repair" style of selling them. To me that's just telling me somethings going to break and they know it.

I ran a vintage air unit in my Chevelle for years with no problems and it worked excellent.

Now for my observations. I think the vintage air unit fits much nicer and the stock parts supplied with the kit for the firewall is not an afterthought like the classic unit stuff is.

At this time I have a vintage unit for my 67 and a buddy has a classic unit for his 68. The vintage unit looks allot better installed and the parts supplied to cover the firewall are much better. The vintage stuff was made for our cars. The classic firewall stuff is just plain junk.

With that said I have no idea how a classic unit performs. I have seen seen a complaint posted about one. I have also never seen a complaint posted about a vintage unit. I can only speak from my experience with one that my vintage unit worked very well. I see no reason why a classic one will not also. In the end it's what you want. If it possible to see the two kits side by side I would do that and make up your mind. Mine was a no brainier after seeing the classic kit and then ordering the vintage kit.

Joe

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 07, 05:14 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
tim

Thanks for all input. I have ordered the Vintage unit . It is the new style with the electric controlls. I will let you guys know how it goes.

Thanks,Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode