Radiator cap with sacrificial anode - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 07, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jeff

Radiator cap with sacrificial anode

What is the good, bad and the ugly for considering a RadCap with sacrificial anode? I am currently running my BeCool cap with aluminum radiator/dual electric fans and Waterwetter with distilled water only in my Camaro. In SoCal I do not worry about freezing temps.

I stuck a voltage meter in the radiator water with the engine running and did not get any voltage reading.

Does a sacrificial anode make sense?

Thanks for looking,

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 07, 09:00 PM
Senior Tech

Re: Radiator cap with sacrificial anode

i use one and i don't know why everyone doesn't. i had it in for 2 months with the car not even started, sitting still and pulled it out thinking it would look as good as new. boy was i in for a shock! a noticeable amount of zinc was gone with a buildup of what looked like crystals forming on it. the deterioration happens with static electricity, too. the voltage test only works with a digital multimeter and a good ground. ron davis instructions say anything over .3 dcv will eventually cause damage. my setup is right at that threshold, so i went looking for the rad cap. worth every penny in my book. i can't think of any drawback except for the purchase price, which wasn't bad at all.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 07, 09:03 PM
Team Member
Steve

Garage

A little off subject but some very good reading for anyone running an aluminum radiator.
http://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28012
FYI porschev8 is Tim from Ron Davis Radiators.

Steve
1968 that started life and a 6 banger with a PG. Now it's a 350 Holley Terminator EFI with a TKO600, Moser 12 bolt (3.73), Speedtech LCA/UCA, ATS AFX Spindles, Hotchkis Springs, Forgeline ZX3P, C5 (Kore3) brakes with other cool stuff.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 07, 02:29 PM
Senior Tech

It used to be that the use of aluminum and other dissimilar metals (compared to iron or steel), was scarce and thus electrically eroded (commonly referred to as "electrolysis" or "galvanic" ) parts was a main stay. I can think of the commonly OEM part of the 70 mustang with the thermostat housing that was cast aluminum (and the only aluminum part) would eat up from the inside. It got ate up because it was a very small surface area relatively compared to the iron or steel. Same thing with brass.

But, with the proliferation of aluminum of aluminum radiators, waterpumps, intakes, and even blocks.. plus the modern coolants are very good at acidic balance (which also prevents electrolysis) therefore.. sacrificial anodes are NOT needed because the surface areas are fairly balanced thus.. any electrolysis will happen over such a huge area.. not going to affect much period. Plus, zinc is really not a sacrificial anode for aluminum anywho!

But, the best protection is actually magnesium.. not zinc.

Steve "Jack'stands" Jack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 07, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jeff

Great info.
What thoughts are out there on the best mixture for ultimate cooling? Is the Evans coolant as good as they say? Is the cost worth it?
I am currently running a distilled water with one bottle of Waterwetter mixture in the HOT So. Cal. oven.

Thanks for your time.

Jeff
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 07, 04:51 AM
Senior Tech
Charlie

So I have a BeCool radiator and I am using regular water out of the hose and Water Wetter. Plus, when BeCool sent me the raditor, they sent brass fittings. Should I change the regular water to distailled and remove the brass fittings? According to Water Wetter, that products helps with corrosion and erosion.

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 07, 08:24 AM
Team Member
Steve

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67CamaroRS/SS View Post
S Should I change the regular water to distailled and remove the brass fittings?
Yes and yes.

Steve
1968 that started life and a 6 banger with a PG. Now it's a 350 Holley Terminator EFI with a TKO600, Moser 12 bolt (3.73), Speedtech LCA/UCA, ATS AFX Spindles, Hotchkis Springs, Forgeline ZX3P, C5 (Kore3) brakes with other cool stuff.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 07, 08:27 AM
Senior Tech
Charlie

I looked at my drain plug and it is brass. If it was a problem why would all these radiator maufacturers be using brass? I don't think it's a problem unless you don't maintain your cooling system. If you change your antifreeze regularly like you're supposed to then the brass is not a problem. For someone that neglects their system, then I can see the brass being a problem, but if the coolant is changed say every two years, then it's not in the system long enough to create a problem.

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 07, 08:33 AM
Senior Tech
Charlie

What about all the brass freeze plugs, drain plugs, temp senders, cooling fan switch bungs? Like HOTRODSRJ said, when the content of brass was so minescule it was a problem, but now with there being so many items that are brass being used on an engine, as long as you maintain your cooling system you will be ok. The distilled water is probably still a good thing. Right now I run straight water and Water Wetter, but I am going to switch to propylene glycol(20&#37 and distilled water with Water Wetter.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 07, 02:16 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzn69r View Post
Great info.
What thoughts are out there on the best mixture for ultimate cooling? Is the Evans coolant as good as they say? Is the cost worth it?
I am currently running a distilled water with one bottle of Waterwetter mixture in the HOT So. Cal. oven.
The recommended coolant these days is either GO5 or HOAT mixture with distilled water. I can tell you that all of these major brandnames have excellent products with lots of hours and $$$$ for R&D. So, don't second guess them! Unless you have freezing issues.. a 25% to 30% antifreeze mixture is best for cooling because the specific heat number is not too decimated by this ratio.... and there is enough good additives to help with corrosion and acidity issues. In fact, if you can get by with 40%.. I would go there.

Evans is a good choice for some applications but is expensive, lowers your system's ability to move BTUs, and is not available if you want to top off. And.. adding any kind of water taints the whole batch. back to square one. The advantages are that it's non-toxic... won't expand.. therefore no pressure, lower freezing protection and higher boiling protection. Forget about all the claims of increase hp and all that BS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67CamaroRS/SS View Post
I looked at my drain plug and it is brass. If it was a problem why would all these radiator maufacturers be using brass? I don't think it's a problem unless you don't maintain your cooling system. If you change your antifreeze regularly like you're supposed to then the brass is not a problem. For someone that neglects their system, then I can see the brass being a problem, but if the coolant is changed say every two years, then it's not in the system long enough to create a problem.
Bingo! If you keep your system up to snuff.. then no problems. Make sure the components are grounded adequately and the coolant is not supporting galvanic action.

Steve "Jack'stands" Jack

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode