Bad head gasket?? Need help!!! - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 07, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy Bad head gasket?? Need help!!!

Need some help before I commit into a weekend job. Now I have a freind with a 95 camaro Z28 and the car has been running hot. We went ahead and replaced the whole cooling system figuring the car could use it anyway. So everything was changed (water pump, 180 thermostat, fans and got a radiator from a local shop used but acid cleaned and flushed) but the car would still run hot. After making sure everything was working correcly we've come to conclusion the the head gasket may have took a ****e. Problem with that is that we've seen no water in the oil nor oil in the water. The car does not spit fluid or steam out the tail pipes and no steam comes from the cap when we first start the car. The car runs just fine but will overheat in a matter of 10 minutes so we pulled out thermostat to see if we had fluid moving after the car had cooled down and once we started and let the car idle for about 30 minutes we noticed that the temp hardly moved at all and we took the car for a ride and ran it hard to see wht would happen and the car still ran cool. We replaced the thermostat 3 times and the car kept getting hot but ran fine without one. Any help guy's would be greatly appreciated and sorry this thread was so long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 07, 08:28 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harley

Send a message via Yahoo to wiskeesour
Re: Bad head gasket?? Need help!!!

Not putting it (thermo) in upside down are you? sorry, had to ask. That is a reverse cooling motor, correct? with thermo in, leave rad cap off with engine running and look for bubbles in the radiator. if you get bubbles you have a gasket problem. IIRC, there is a sweet spot with those motors that if the head is cracked in a certain spot you wont get oil/water mixed, just runs hot...look for bubbles...good luck!

AE2(AW) Harley Moody, USNavy
"Master-at-Arms" for the CDWJB!!
November 26th, 2008 was my last day to serve my country as a member of the World's Greatest Navy.
Thanks Chief.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 07, 10:40 AM
Senior Tech

Sniffing the overflow tank with an exhaust gas probe is another check for blown head gasket, but I would think it would also be bubbling at that point.

Did you open the two bleeders on the front of the motor to let air out of the cooling system each time?

It sounds like air in the system to me. You could also try the old trick of drilling a hole in the thermostat to let the air past before the stat opens. Seems like it should all blow out once the thermostat opens, but I guess not if GM found the need to put bleeders on the system.

Some later model cars just get air trapped in there and it's tough to get out (later S Blazers come to mind).

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 07, 05:33 PM

dont condemn the head gasket yet!!!eric has a good point on the drilling an 1/8 hole in the outer rim of the tstat...(between the pod and the gasket area)also make sure the air dam is in place...air under the tstat will prevent it from ever opening...and no air dam will make it overheat down the road, but will keep cool at idle...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 07, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kustomwerker View Post
dont condemn the head gasket yet!!!eric has a good point on the drilling an 1/8 hole in the outer rim of the tstat...(between the pod and the gasket area)also make sure the air dam is in place...air under the tstat will prevent it from ever opening...and no air dam will make it overheat down the road, but will keep cool at idle...
The only thing is that the car had been running great and then while at a light the car started to over heat. Even after getting the car back to the house we still could not get the car to run cool at all even after replaceing the tstat and bleeding the system. And yeah it is a reverse cooling. Did't get time to pull the gaskets out and the car is the only trans he's got right now. Gotta find out for sure and soon.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 07, 04:58 PM

sounds dumb, but some serp belt setups will allow an alternate (and incorrect) route for the belt...make sure the belt is spinning the pump in the correct direction...also make sure you got a pump that ia moving water in the correct direction...shoot the rad with a raytec (infra red thermometer) to see if there are cold spots in the radiator...the thing that gets me wondering is that the car will run cool without the stat, but will overheat with...thats why i`m thinking the pump is spining backwards...could try running the stat upside down to check the theory, but i dont know if it`ll fit in the waterneck that way...just a thought...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 07, 04:41 AM
Senior Tech
Charlie

Have you ran a compression test on the engine? I had a turbo Eclipse that blew a heaad gasket and I never had any symptoms aside from the it running hot. It had just as much power as it always did. No oil/coolant mix, heater still worked well, just ran hot. I couldn't explain it. Run a comp. test on it and see what you come up with. Good luck.

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 07, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kustomwerker View Post
sounds dumb, but some serp belt setups will allow an alternate (and incorrect) route for the belt...make sure the belt is spinning the pump in the correct direction...also make sure you got a pump that ia moving water in the correct direction...shoot the rad with a raytec (infra red thermometer) to see if there are cold spots in the radiator...the thing that gets me wondering is that the car will run cool without the stat, but will overheat with...thats why i`m thinking the pump is spining backwards...could try running the stat upside down to check the theory, but i dont know if it`ll fit in the waterneck that way...just a thought...
The water pump on an LT1 runs off of the cam not a serpentine belt like most other do so the possibilty of putting it on wrong would be very hard to do also I don't think the tstat will no fit into the waterneck upside down. I've actually never tried to put it in that way. Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode