I have a cam that is more than mild
3.42 posi and stage 2 shift kit 350 tranny
stock 5 blade fan and clutch with stock shroud
no AC
temperatures get between 40 and 100 ' F during the year that I drive it
stock water pump
new 4 core rad and new stock cap
car has been tuned to perfection by my mechanic one month ago
overheating problem, this setup is all new, and I want to stay with a stock looking engine compartment

first thing I wanna replace is the thermostat since it is the cheapest, then go from there, but which one is best? all advice welcome.

67Camaro 396BB 750Holley, edlebrock performer,280isky,3.42 posi, turbo 350,stage 2 shift kit, 2800 stall, MSDready to run distributor, headers, 2.5"exhaust, Hotchkis(1.5"/2"drop).(orig.Deep water blue/light blue dlx inter, v8 column shift/bench seat)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 07, 08:41 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

Re: which thermostat to get for my setup

180* should be fine

71 Camaro 355 NA
11.1650 @ 119.30
1.5028 60'
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 07, 09:24 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny67 View Post
I have a 396 BB that is rebuilt to a 402
I have a cam that is more than mild
3.42 posi and stage 2 shift kit 350 tranny
stock 5 blade fan and clutch with stock shroud
no AC
temperatures get between 40 and 100 ' F during the year that I drive it
stock water pump
new 4 core rad and new stock cap
car has been tuned to perfection by my mechanic one month ago
overheating problem, this setup is all new, and I want to stay with a stock looking engine compartment

first thing I wanna replace is the thermostat since it is the cheapest, then go from there, but which one is best? all advice welcome.
Well, you really didn't tell us much about the "overheating" problem at all. But, I am going to guess...

The inherent problem with everyone doing "performance" upgrades to the "used to be" stock engines (which would be boring, VE improvements etc..) is that you are making more horses. While this is a wanted and good thing... the OTHER THING that you have to do is UPGRADE your cooling system because you are making more waste heat. It's that simple! I have seen this countless times!!!

So, having said that.. the thermostat will NOT make one ioda of difference with regard to cooling per se. It just is a "gate" that regulates the specified tempeture.. and if the system will NOT operate correctly in the BTU removal department.. the thermostat will spend its life in the wide-open position.

So, having said that.. the best thermostat is indeed a 180 high flow like a Mr. Gasket or Mildon that you can easily get from Summit.

I know you want to keep your engine looking stock... but upgrading to other "almost looking stock" components can help things appreciably.

The three things that will be the best upgrades are (in the order of effectiveness):

1. Radiator surface area (Find a large tubed aluminum lookalike (stock that is) and paint it black... and usually no one will know the difference .. yet you have made a 30% improvement in your cooling. The best is Fluidyne.. go here.. http://www.fluidyne.com/pl_hpdomestics.html but they do NOT look like stock. Also, you can seek out a heavy duty radiator that was used in your application for air etc .. but the aluminum is the way to go if you are going to spend any money in my opinion.)
2. Coolant flow improvements (Get a Stewart's Stage I or II and paint them the engine color. Again, most people can't tell the difference and yet a great upgrade)
3. Airflow improvements. (Use the factory heavy duty cooling fan (seven blades)

I will guaranty you if you do these.. you will NOT have cooling problems.

Cap the system off with at least a 12lb cap... 25/75% mixture of antifreeze to water and you are good to go for your temperature specifications.

Steve "Jack'stands" Jack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 07, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Johnny

thanks guys, I will get the
-180' high flow thermostat
-stewart's stage 1 or 2 water pump
-a seven blade fan from a 69'
-and use as little antifreeze as possible

I forgot to mention that my new 4 core rad is for an AT but I use a tranny cooler installed in front of my rad instead. How much affect does that have on the cooling system good or bad.

67Camaro 396BB 750Holley, edlebrock performer,280isky,3.42 posi, turbo 350,stage 2 shift kit, 2800 stall, MSDready to run distributor, headers, 2.5"exhaust, Hotchkis(1.5"/2"drop).(orig.Deep water blue/light blue dlx inter, v8 column shift/bench seat)

Last edited by johnny67; Aug 18th, 07 at 12:10 PM. Reason: added info on the tranny cooler
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 07, 12:21 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny67 View Post
thanks guys, I will get the
-180' high flow thermostat
-stewart's stage 1 or 2 water pump
-a seven blade fan from a 69'
-and use as little antifreeze as possible

I forgot to mention that my new 4 core rad is for an AT but I use a tranny cooler installed in front of my rad instead. How much affect does that have on the cooling system good or bad.
I would use a minimum of 25% antifreeze these days. The components of the newer GO5 and HOAT products contain so much good anti corrosive and acid combating concoctions... that it's a good thing. Also, added surfactants... so really WaterWetter etc is not necessary with these newer mixes.

The tranny cooler will depend on how much of a stall converter you have making heat. If it's a stock one.. no biggie. But, if you are running some of these wicked 2500+ stalls.. then the heat certainly could have some effect out front.

I would also like to point out since this is a rebuild.. that commonly using the exact same carb with the exact same jetting usually creates a too lean condition at cruising speeds. That means more heat! So, do a "cruise mode" plug reading and my bet is that if you are seeing temps rise when speeds get higher.. then the jets need to be fattened up!

Steve "Jack'stands" Jack

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 07, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Johnny

How much capacity does a BB with a 4 core rad hold, for a good mix.

yes I do have a 2800 stall. So I use a tranny cooler. Should I have bought a MT 4 core instead in this case?

I will get my mechanic to check and make sure I am not lean on the jetting.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode