Fresh Big Block... Coolant Boiled Over - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 07, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Fresh Big Block... Coolant Boiled Over

Okay guys. Fairly straight forward question, hopefully some straight forward answers.

67 SS 490 BBC Completely frshened up
AFCO Aluminum Racing Radiator (7 Lb cap)
Flex-a-lite Dual Electric fans

I installed the motor this past week. Started up on first try, almost dead on. Made a few adjustments, including rollers, all went well.

Brought the car home from the shop today, and about half way there, I saw my console temp guage start to climb around half way. Then, I turned the corner to my home and the guage needle pegged and buried ALL the way to HOT side. This was about 4 houses down road.

So I pulled it in the driveway, shut her down, and coolant was boiling over from the canister.

So i have a few questions:
1. What could of caused this?
2. What temp does that mean it went to?
3. What should I be checking for 1st?
4. Why me? (just kidding)

Thanks ahead of time.

1967 Camaro SS 396
Mike

60'- 1.687
1/8 mile- 7.415 @ 93.49 MPH
1/4 mile- 11.608 @ 124.88 MPH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 07, 03:56 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Doug

Re: Fresh Big Block... Coolant Boiled Over

Are you running a thermostat? -- if so, make sure it isn't stuck closed

==Doug
Former
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
owner
Former
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
owner
Former 2nd
owner (
)
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 07, 06:02 AM
Senior Tech

7# cap? You probably exceeded the cap rating. Once the cap relieves, it's like a geyser, all the water flash boils and you have no coolant left. Put a 20# cap on your radiator.
What kind of water pump and how is it driven?

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 07, 11:09 AM
cjg
Tech Team

If it pegged...it's close to boiling I think. If you don' t need a thermostat heave it. Or pop out the element and leave the rest so you have better water flow....that way water will stay in the radiator long enough... to get cooled. Do you have an electric fan also?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 07, 11:11 AM
cjg
Tech Team

Oh yea...Why you? Cause you have the guts to run a big block. Congrats.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 07, 11:48 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg View Post
Or pop out the element and leave the rest so you have better water flow....that way water will stay in the radiator long enough... to get cooled. Do you have an electric fan also?
Does higher flow mean the water stays in the radiator longer? How does cool water affect the efficiency of the radiator?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 07, 02:26 PM
cjg
Tech Team

The answer is no on higher flow staying in radiator longer. What I mean is if you take the thermostat out the water may flow too fast and not stay in the radiator long enough. Just had that happen, so what I did was punch out the middle of the thermostat so you have constant flow but the hole is more narrow than when the entire thermostat is out. I took the spring element out. It worked for me. I'm in Florida and we have very little need for thermostats. Not cold enough in winter and always hot in the summer. What do you mean by your second question? The radiator is the cooling spot for the water.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 07, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Well, my initial thought was that there was air in the system from being freshly installed and filled. So today I had a chance to look and did a few things.

1- I filled the radiator back up
2- I tested the thermostat, and it works fine
3- I ran the motor without the stat in to make sure coolant was flowing in radiator, it was
4- I reinstalled stat, ran motor for a few, with cap off, and saw no major change in temp, although I didn't run for very long

Raining like crazy today, so I can't give her a drive.

I will let you know what happens when I drive it a little.

1967 Camaro SS 396
Mike

60'- 1.687
1/8 mile- 7.415 @ 93.49 MPH
1/4 mile- 11.608 @ 124.88 MPH
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 07, 09:25 PM
Senior Tech
Todd

When the temp shoots up that fast it's an air bubble. I bet you have it whipped.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 07, 10:14 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
The answer is no on higher flow staying in radiator longer. What I mean is if you take the thermostat out the water may flow too fast and not stay in the radiator long enough. Just had that happen, so what I did was punch out the middle of the thermostat so you have constant flow but the hole is more narrow than when the entire thermostat is out. I took the spring element out. It worked for me. I'm in Florida and we have very little need for thermostats. Not cold enough in winter and always hot in the summer. What do you mean by your second question? The radiator is the cooling spot for the water.
Why does the water need to stay in the radiator for any extended length of time? The radiator just exchanges heat at a rate based on the difference in temperature of the radiator and the cooling air. If the water in the radiator isn't hot the rate of heat exchange goes down, which will lead to higher engine temperatures. Slowing the flow and letting the water cool in the radiator reduces the efficiency of the cooling system.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 07, 05:46 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by onovakind67 View Post
Why does the water need to stay in the radiator for any extended length of time? The radiator just exchanges heat at a rate based on the difference in temperature of the radiator and the cooling air. If the water in the radiator isn't hot the rate of heat exchange goes down, which will lead to higher engine temperatures. Slowing the flow and letting the water cool in the radiator reduces the efficiency of the cooling system.
The more coolant flow or airflow the higher efficiency of the system period. The "slowing the flow" mentality is physic's challanged and/or simply misinformed.

Check out the links in my signature line.

Steve "Jack'stands" Jack

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 07, 08:16 AM
cjg
Tech Team

Since the thermostat regulates flow....All I was saying was that if you don't run a thermostat maybe the flow is too fast to cool. I mentioned what worked for me. I'll leave the physics to you guys. Good luck man.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 07, 08:29 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Since the thermostat regulates flow....All I was saying was that if you don't run a thermostat maybe the flow is too fast to cool. I mentioned what worked for me. I'll leave the physics to you guys. Good luck man.
The thermostat regulates flow by increasing the flow when the engine is warm, which leads to more heat being exchanged and the engine cooling down. When the engine cools down, the thermostat closes down to decrease the flow and keep the engine warm.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 07, 08:33 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

I think onova was onto it in his 1st post, why are you running a 7lb rad cap? Is it required for your overflow to work? The boiling point of water goes up under pressure and most cooling systems typically run a 15lb or 16lb cap...

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 07, 08:35 AM
Senior Tech

The 7# cap is the billet one....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode