Blown head gasket? - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 07, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Blown head gasket?

I just got the engine (350) in my 75 Camaro running but its blowing white smoke The guy I bought it from had never started it( project car that he never started). The car has been sitting for a while, the gas in the tank was nothing but varnish etc) I replaced the water pump, the thermostat and hoses last week becuase when I fired it up the first time there was water leaking out the weep hole in the water pump. When I started it up after putting on the carb after I rebuilt it, it started to smoke white smoke out the tailpipe, I dont have the gauges hooked up (tonight I will) so I dont know what the temp was reading, it runs and starts fine, I ran it for about 5 mins or so and it idled fine, sounded strong, I reved it by hand a couple of times no misses or anything. I shut it off and let it set a minute and it restarted fine. The thermostat did open, I could tell since I was watching the radiator with the cap off so I'd know when to add water/antifreeze. Do I have a blown head gasket or just a leaking intake or what, is there a way to troubleshoot this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 07, 12:55 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dennis

Re: Blown head gasket?

Did you change the oil? If the car has been sitting for a long period of time, its possible that condensation has accumulated in the oil. What you may be seeing is it's finally burning off. If you don't let engines get to temp, this is a common problem.
You may have a blown head gasket too, but I would change the oil and take a look at the old stuff and check to see if it looks milky.

Dennis
69 Z/28. 302DZ, Autogear M22, Red w/black stripes.
69 Camaro, ZZ4, 700R4, 8.5 3:42 posi, X11
70 Nova SS 396, 4sp, 3:55 12 bolt
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 07, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the response, I did change the oil already, I used 10w30, a friend suggested that I may need to use 10w40 or 20 50 weight. I will check the oil tonight when I get home to see if it looks milky or not.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 07, 02:44 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

When I first got my car it was blowing some white smoke. Put a leak tester on the radiator and coolant was leaking all around the intake. Installed some good Fel-Pro gaskets-problem solved. Good luck.

1969 Z28

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Firebird 400

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My new project for 2010 DONE/ Sold.

2002 Camaro SS LE/SLP
67 Nova SS 327, M20, 3.73
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 07, 03:11 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

When you looked in the radiator, did you see any bubbles?
Blown head gaskets leaking coolant will blow bubbles in the radiator.
Water also cleanes spark plugs real good, do you have any that look nice and white?

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 07, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

I havent seen any bubbles in the radiator, I just put a new set of plugs in 2 days ago so I will pull them to see what they look like. I checked the oil and it dosent look milky at all, and its not overfull either. I did notice that the 2 inside intake bolts were loose, I torqued them back down but it didnt change anything. It seemed to get worse the longer the engine ran, it gives a quick puff when it first starts but the longer it runs the more smoke seems to come out. Thanks for the help.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 07, 08:24 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

How about the vacuum modulator in the transmission?
I bought a cutlass cheap once cause the PO thought it was aboutto explode, darned thing looked like a misquito fogger going down the road!
Pull the vacuum line from the trans, and check for anytrans fluid in it.

Another one that was a real smoker was just "gunked up" The inside of the heads were sludged solid to the top of the valve springs! That one got the kerosene treatment. 2 quarts of kero in the crank, idle for half an hour, drain, change filter, repeat. After a few gallons ofcheap oil, cheap filters, and kero, she cleaned up real nice and didn't smoke anymore.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode