Best radiator.. - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 07, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Best radiator..

I purchased a new stock replacement radiator and a 16 in electric fan. I originally purchased a stock 350 but a mechanic rebuilt it with flat top pistons and lunati cam and I just started it and wonder if I need a larger radiator. Just sitting and idle is gets towards 250 on temp. guage. Drove it from the exhaust shop and BLEW UP the bottom rad hose. Put on new one and drove to my house..3 miles and shut it down as soon as I pulled in it was getting hot again...any help...what do others like for radiators??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 07, 07:07 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: Best radiator..

Unless that's one big 16" electric fan, AND it's mounted on a full shroud that covers the entire radiator, it's just not big enough. Many of us used one of these radiators. http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...=KeywordSearch I used the 28" (stock small block non ac size) with a full shroud and 17" derale mechanical fan, cools great.

A proper electric fan setup would look something like this one: http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Note I am not recommending it, it's just the first one I found. I'd consider 2750 cfm inadequate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 07, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM View Post
Unless that's one big 16" electric fan, AND it's mounted on a full shroud that covers the entire radiator, it's just not big enough. Many of us used one of these radiators. http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...=KeywordSearch I used the 28" (stock small block non ac size) with a full shroud and 17" derale mechanical fan, cools great.

A proper electric fan setup would look something like this one: http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Note I am not recommending it, it's just the first one I found. I'd consider 2750 cfm inadequate.
I also meant to add I have the vintage air setup too...even though it's not hooked up yet. Should I get one that is meant for a BB car W/ AC??

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 07, 08:07 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

certainly can't hurt. Either of those 2 rads would work fine.
You didn't mention the year of your car, if you go back to a mechanical fan, all 69 small blocks, a/c or not, used the 28" radiator, and so the only stock shroud for a small block is for the 28". The difference is really small, but you can't have too much cooling.

Really, the rad you have should keep your car cool, if your fan and shroud are up for the job.

My car runs at 180 (always, never higher) with the 380456 rad, full shroud, and 17" derale flex fan.

A couple months ago, I needed to put my original 38 year old 2 row radiator back in for a few weeks. As it was tempory, I didn't bother to put the shroud back on. That Derale fan moves a lot of air, she ran at just 195 with the old rad and no shroud.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 07, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Sorry..it's a 69
Well I would hate to get rid of a new radiator, so if I went to a pully fan with shroud it would be ok
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 07, 02:22 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

stock they came with a 2 core, a/c cars came with a 3 core. With the factory type shroud and either a 7 blade clutch fan or a good (Derale) flex fan, it will keep cool.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 07, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM View Post
stock they came with a 2 core, a/c cars came with a 3 core. With the factory type shroud and either a 7 blade clutch fan or a good (Derale) flex fan, it will keep cool.
So if I go to a clutch fan, what size should it be and what type of clutch will work. Do I just bolt all this to the front of the water pump pully? and do I use spacers to get it close to the radiator?..I was looking at the Derale website.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 07, 09:22 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

You should be able to find an aftermarket cluthcx that is the correct length. Spacers aren't normally used with clutch fans, but could be.

The hole in the shroud is 19" in diameter, and the factory A/C clutch fans, I believe, were 18". I used a 17" fan just to make sure nothing ever gets "whacked"!

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 07, 09:25 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Electric is also a decent option, but there is a lot more to doing it right that using some tie wraps to attach a fan to the rad core. Such a hookup only draws air thru about 1/4 of the core, and they just don't get the job done. There needs to be some space between the fan and the core, and a shroud of some sort so air is drawn thru the entire radiator. The big fans generally drow a ton of power, and often the charging system needs to be upgraded to supply enough jiuce.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 07, 05:57 PM
Senior Tech

First, I don't recommend clutch style fans anymore period. They are way too unpredictable and you NEVER know if they are performing to the 100% level. Plus, the ones that are mostly available these days are "universal" in application which means that most likely if they work, they will engage much longer than typically needed which eats hp (and gas) huge! I know folks get along with them.. but in my opinion they are iffy at best. And most OEMs are starting to agree swiching to electric.

High output quality electric fans can produce twice as much airflow at idle than any mechanical fans can. Yes.. Jim is correct that complete core footprint fans are best and that you WILL have to upgrade your electrical support system for the fan.... but high output alternators also allow headlight upgrades.

Steve "Jack'stands" Jack

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 07, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Well I'm looking at going with a Griffin 23" radiator, but Rick's went up 100 buck since last years catalog. So I need to upgrade fan from my 16" electric too??
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 07, 12:57 PM
Senior Tech
Charlie

I run a BeCool aluminum with a 22" core part #BCI-62009 and a Flex-A-Lite 16" electric fan/shroud unit part #FLX-180 both from Summit and my car never goes above 170 anymore. I have a Weiand aluminum high flow water pump part #WND-9240P. The Flex-A-Lite Black Magic 16" fan pulls 3300cfm and I have no problems.

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 07, 01:18 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

It really depends on how much bling you want, and how many $$$ you want to spend. The rad you have should cool your car, when used with either a factory shroud and good mechanical fan.

If you want a good inexpensive radiator, summit's direct fit line is only $300 for a two 1" core 23" alluminum. But you'd still need a better fan than you have.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode