Firewall Selection effects Vintage air setup - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 07, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Firewall Selection effects Vintage air setup

I am a long ways away from thinking about the air cond in my 68 however I am in the process of replaceing the firewall and upper cowl panels. I am not sure if I should by the heater delete for a smooth firewall of the stock heater firewall of buy the one for an original A/c should I later decide the restore it with original parts however unlikely that would be.

Has anyone any input on wether a choice will have any effect on the vintage air setup I was planning on using?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 07, 06:15 PM
Senior Tech

Re: Firewall Selection effects Vintage air setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvettemaster View Post
I am a long ways away from thinking about the air cond in my 68 however I am in the process of replaceing the firewall and upper cowl panels. I am not sure if I should by the heater delete for a smooth firewall of the stock heater firewall of buy the one for an original A/c should I later decide the restore it with original parts however unlikely that would be.

Has anyone any input on wether a choice will have any effect on the vintage air setup I was planning on using?
I did a smoothed firewall on the 69 and ran all the hoses thru the original blower hole plenum, trapped them in the fender and ran them out the front of the fender inner liner.

Steve "Jack'stands" Jack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 07, 04:55 AM
Senior Tech
Frank

We can set up the new Gen IVs for factory firewall or smoothed firewall with bulkhead, or heater blower motor plate as shown in Steve's pick

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 07, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Looks good! I guess if its unimportant which firewall I choose then I still have to decide if the original A/C firewall may be a plus for resale should someone want to restore it to orignial or just go with the heater delete for the looks?

If I had to make a choice now I guess I'd go with the heater delete firewall.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 07, 05:40 PM
Senior Tech
Chuck

Lightbulb Re: Firewall Selection effects Vintage air setup

You might think about servicability. Sure, it looks way cool to hide everything, but what happens if you have to fix something? Do you really want to have to pull the front fender or front clip off to fix a leaking ac line or heater hose? Even the best brand new stuff can have problems. It can still be made to look good and be accessible. The smoothed firewall looks great. Running the hoses through the origional blower motor hole is a very good idea! Making a removable panel on the inner fender makes it even better. I'm telling you this because I work on cars for a living and am constantly cussing engineers for making stuff so hard to get to. So, make it look pretty, but don't make it a royal pain to fix!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 07, 08:05 AM
phz

Check with Detroit Speed and Engineering, they have a really nice a/c package and should be able to assist you. 704-662-3272.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode