How to R&R heater core on 67 no A/C? - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 07, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

How to R&R heater core on 67 no A/C?

My heater began leaking on the carpet and needs to be replaced. Does the heater core come out from the interior side or firewall(engine compartment) side? Do you haves to remove the firewall bolts to pull the interior box out. Please help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 07, 08:59 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lane

Re: How to R&R heater core on 67 no A/C?

Hey Jim

It comes out from the inside...might do a search for any detailed procedure...but yea remove the hoses at the firewall and unscrew the 6 speednuts (or whatever is on the firewall). Pull the box out on to floor inside the car. The studs you see onb firewall come with the interior box... Likely need to unhook the cables so you can get it out on bench to clean it up. A small clip holds the heater core in the "interior box".

If you want to forego the job for awhile most parts stores have a 1/2x5/8 (i think these are the sizes) nipple that allow you to hook the two heater hoses together to bypass the core...

have fun..

Lane
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 07, 11:31 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Strick

It is as Lane describes above - take the nuts off from the engine side cover and remove the box on the inside. It is not very hard to accomplish. Re-mounting is more of a chore, but still not that hard. I did not remove the cables to replace my core, just the glove box.

Strick
'67 'Vert (408" SBC), V-Rod, Street Glide, and too many other motorcycles to list.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 07, 06:25 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks for the info guys!! I had read on another post that it came off from the engine side and the inner fender had to be removed. I went as far as removing all the bolts. But it almost seems you would have to remove the fender to get the wheel house out. I hope the blower motor lasts forever!!!!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 07, 07:13 AM
Senior Tech
Charlie

Jim H, I had to have my heater core replaced also only I could not get to the last nut that sits all the way in the fender. I tried everything. Universals, extensions, etc. Could not reach it without removing the fender. I finally took it to someone. I still to this day don't know if they reinstalled that particular nut. Good Luck. If removing the fender isn't necessary can someone please tell me how to get at it? Thanks. P.S. I didn't mean to hijack this thread.

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 07, 02:33 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lane

Hi Charlie

Dont need to remove the blower box to replace the core.

The "last nut" is actually a bolt..there are two that hold the asm to the firewall when you remove the nuts to drop the interior box. I have removed both of them with 3 or 4 18" extensions....lol.

I was unable to get the blower/cover out however with all the bolts loose. So yes the fender needs to come off to get the cover out.

This was the start of my resto 6 years ago...still wrenching.

Lane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode