Engine Side Heater Box - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 07, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Engine Side Heater Box

I took my 69 Z28 to to a body shop to have the fenders, hood, etc. installed and the body painted. When I got the car back I installed the grille, headlights, trim, bumper, parking lights, etc. and then started on the interior. Well guess what, the engine side of the heater box can not be installed with the passenger fender in place. What are the fewest amount of parts that I can remove and get the heater box in place? Any tips or tricks would be appreciated!!

I should have posted this here in the first place rather than the general tech area.....sorry.

Leonard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 07, 10:48 AM
Tech Team

Re: Engine Side Heater Box

I just did this job on my 68 car, but it was to remove the box and install Vintage Air. The way I understand it is that you can remove the inner fender without removing the fender. I took both off but then again, I did not have to worry about new paint at that point. Good luck, Mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
396 RS SS RED 1968 Just like when I was 18 only 10 times the price
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 07, 10:52 AM
Senior Tech

Leonard -

Welcome to Team Camaro!

I posted the service manual procedure to pull the blower recently, in this post https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...ghlight=heater .

Should be able to use that to get it back in.

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 07, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Kammerer View Post
Leonard -

Welcome to Team Camaro!

I posted the service manual procedure to pull the blower recently, in this post https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...ghlight=heater .

Should be able to use that to get it back in.
Thanks for the info Eric but the heater box is too thick to pass by the inner fender and inner fender rear brace, and too tall to pass under the fender?? I can see how this would work for removing the heater motor but not for removing the heater box. Unless I am missing something. I also don't see how I can remove the inner fender without removing the fender itself. I'm open to any/all suggestions.

Leonard
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 07, 11:09 AM
Senior Tech

Well, I assume if the box isn't in, neither is the blower, so you'll need that procedure anyway.... The inner fender will flex quite a bit if you do it the way GM said.

If you pull the inner fender down, you can unbolt the two bolts holding that brace on and remove it. Looking at how far that bolt on brace sticks out, just removing the three bolts that hold the inner fender to it and then the two bolts holding it to the body might gain enough clearance to get the box wiggled in, but you'd have trouble with the blower.

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 07, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip. I agree, your plan will be required to install the heater motor and I have used that idea in the past. I will try to remove the inner fender brace bolts and see if I can gain enough clearance like that.

Leonard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode