Water Pump-Geez, what the heck - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 10, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Water Pump-Geez, what the heck

Ive been to three local auto parts stores (Advance, NAPA, KOI) to get a short water pump for my 68 and all the water pumps they had were incorrect. The end of the shaft where the pulley goes over is either too big for the hole in the pulley or the shaft was too short and the pulley rubbed or the heater hose outlet was on the driver side. Its the original pulley so what the hell?

Last edited by wheezer; Mar 11th, 10 at 08:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 10, 04:50 PM
Senior Tech
bill

Re: Water Pump-Geez, what the heck

ive had same problem finding 1. i sent mine to cordone to get rebuilt instead of paying out the azz from any supplier. think it was like 35 bux.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 10, 05:13 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Sounds like they're showing you later (84~92) 'short' pump styles

Early Chevy short pumps are 5-5/8" from mounting surface to the top of the flange surface.
It's easy to lay the pump on a counter and use a couple rulers to measure - lay one across the flange surface and measure from counter to bottom of that ruler edge - should = 5-5/8" ...
Try a full service parts house or a larger NAPA and see if they don't have a couple you can look at and measure if needed.
My parts guy lets me go through boxes to find castings without the by-pass riser

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 10, 08:14 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Roger

Are you sure the pulley hole was too small. The tolerances of the pulley are very close and it goes on very tight.

Roger

1967 Camaro SS/RS 350/295HP Coupe. First and only owner.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 10, 05:50 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage 68 View Post
Sounds like they're showing you later (84~92) 'short' pump styles

Early Chevy short pumps are 5-5/8" from mounting surface to the top of the flange surface.
It's easy to lay the pump on a counter and use a couple rulers to measure - lay one across the flange surface and measure from counter to bottom of that ruler edge - should = 5-5/8" ...
Try a full service parts house or a larger NAPA and see if they don't have a couple you can look at and measure if needed.
My parts guy lets me go through boxes to find castings without the by-pass riser

I'm having the same issue, my new bbc has a new Weiland water pump which measures 6 1/4. This is why my wp pulley doesn't line up. I found another pulley from Summit/Jegs that is taller than my current one and should measure up. Do you think this will work or do I need to get another water pump?

Thanks, John
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 10, 10:11 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

Be careful with the taller pully and a short water pump. The pulley may rub the body of the pump. I installed a Weiand pump in my 69 Vette with an aluminum pulley and had to put a spacer behind the pulley and hence I had to put a spacer behind the crank pulley. No problems after that because I use Zoops alternator and A/C brackets that are fully adjustable.

There's a fine line between hobby and obsession and I think I crossed it!

69 Camaro SS 350 4 Speed (5 Speed)
69 Corvette L46 Roadster 4 Speed
99 Corvette 1SC Roadster 6 Speed
Hot Rod Power Tour Long Hauler 08, 09, 10, 11, 12 & 13
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode