Bulkhead or no bulkhead - VA gen IV - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 10, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ted

Bulkhead or no bulkhead - VA gen IV

I have a 69 a/c car. I am in process of installing th VA gen IV system. I have scanned through numerous pics of the many smoothed firewall pics. Some guys are using bulkheads some aren't. And are running hoses straight from the unit I am assuming, through the old fan hole to the compressor and such. I guess my question is: why did you do it one way or another? Less parts, servicibilty, etc?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 10, 12:44 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Garage
Re: Bulkhead or no bulkhead - VA gen IV

I used a bulkhead fitting on my El Camino. With the fitting the firewall is sealed and water proof, plus it's easy to connect the lines.

'69 Camaro - 429 SBC Dart Iron Eagle 9.325" block, Crower crank, Crower 6" billet rods, Ross pistons (10:1), Total Seal rings, AFR 245 heads, T&D steel body shaft rockers, Cloyes Timing set, custom ground 4-7 swap solid roller 274/286 @ .050" with .704" lift, Dart single plane, Holley Dominator EFI on E85, Injector Dynamics ID2000 Injectors, Stef's #1705R oil pan, F2 Procharger, Lemons 2" primary 4" collector, ATI 9" blower converter
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 10, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ted

What about afterward once the fenders are all on? Have you had to do any servicing?

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 10, 04:38 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

I took the advise from Vintage AC and Frank at Prodgy and ran the lines from the evaporator through the kick panal, through a Chevelle 4 hose adapter plate where the fan motor was on my 69 Camaro. Routed the hoses under the outer fender to the connectors. Less connectors mean less issue with leakage. I cannot ever remember having a leakage problem with the 32 Camaros I have owned or restored in 40 years. Use good products with good advise and do it right the first time, you should not have problems.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 10, 05:27 AM
Senior Tech
Frank

Nice install on the bulkhead and being water tight and all but that is a drain your going into. Just above that is 3 large opening that water to drain into the cowl. That cowl plenum area is deisgned to drain water off the windsheild into that cowl and out through the back of the rockers. There is zero reason to keep this area 100% water tight.

Actualy the bulkhead is a PIA, 8 additional possible leaks and tighening those hose in there is a nightmare. We have rubber grommets that are like chinese fingers. Slide one continous hose through them and eliminate 8 potential leaks and save a bunch of time.

FWIW, Vintage Air designed the Chevelle systems to do this same thing. The new Chevy II kit, same thing.

Believe me, one continuous hose.

Here is the grommets we use

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 10, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ted

Frank, can you send me the 4 grommets that you use and either the Chevelle plenum plate or template that you use for proper spacing of the hoses? Do you use special heater and a/c hose? Or just what VA sells in specified lengths? When you do it your way, what are the lengths that each hose needs to be? Thanks
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 10, 11:04 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Armando

what would you use if you smoothed your firewall but kept the fan hole?

Armando

1967 Chevy Camaro RS/SS
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew FX4
2007 Ford Mustang GT/CS (sold)
2002 F150 Harley Davidson (sold)
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 10, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ted

I believe what Frank can get is a piece from VA from a Chevelle kit that fits in that hole. And has 4 holes in it for the hoses to go through. I believe if you do a search on "smooth firewall" there are some pics of someone with that set up. Cant remember the TC members name. I will look.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 10, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ted

Found it Armando. Members id is rocketrod.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 10, 07:14 PM
Senior Tech
Frank

Send Me a email Ted. I sent you extra hose length in your kit. So you should be set.

From your invoice............

Universal hose kit with 3 extra feet of -6 and -10 hose

Firewall Bulkhead plate kit

The firewall Bulkhead plate kit comes with the 4 Grommets.

If by chance that did not make it send me a email and I will get you some more grommets out. But check that package good first.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 10, 11:47 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
tom

thanks to frank i'm goin the direct hose, thru the firewall, to the va. unit, don't need any extra places for leaks

thanks tom
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 10, 04:37 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

How do you get the wiper motor to work when it is on the far left side? I like it. I have a smoothed firewall and routed the hoses through the Chevelle piece from VA, under the fender and under the core support to the compressor 12 feet of hose. Nicely hidden.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 10, 05:18 AM
Senior Tech
Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Camaro Guy View Post
How do you get the wiper motor to work when it is on the far left side? I like it. I have a smoothed firewall and routed the hoses through the Chevelle piece from VA, under the fender and under the core support to the compressor 12 feet of hose. Nicely hidden.
Spend thousands of dollars have a drive rod made like i did! LOL!

What a freakin nightmare. We had aspirations of making those extended wiper transmissions, then I ate lunch and something else came up.

l
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 10, 05:54 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

If you never drive in the rain you don't even need the wipers! Give it the clean look. Thanks Frank for your advise on the VA and running the hose under the core support to the drivers side compressor. . .pics are coming.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 10, 07:47 AM
Senior Tech
Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Camaro Guy View Post
If you never drive in the rain you don't even need the wipers! Give it the clean look. Thanks Frank for your advise on the VA and running the hose under the core support to the drivers side compressor. . .pics are coming.
Works nice doesn't it? If your forced into a drivers side compressor it is the slickest way I know. Doing so many of these gives us a chance to see EVERYTHING, good and bad!

Did you get it to run through the trough? Do show pics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode