Switching to aluminum rad in a 67 - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 10, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Switching to aluminum rad in a 67

I'm wanting to lose the radiator and mechanical fan (no clutch) that came in my '67 when I bought it back in 1997.

In your experience, what is the most budget-friendly radiator and elec. fan set-up? I have some connections with local wrecking yards, so that might be a good source of parts from other makes/models.

Thanks in advance. I've been out of the game for a while and am looking forward to getting back on the road!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 10, 04:04 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

Re: Switching to aluminum rad in a 67

welcome to team camaro!
try summit and get a universal fit rad they go right in and are cheap for a stocker.

BILL D.
JOHN 3:16
SEMPER FI
if you have a bbc in your 1st gen 67-69 camaro click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post yours up!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

if you have an all original 1st gen camaro 67-69 click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post your up!!

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 10, 04:35 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

Whats wrong with the original set up? Many opinions on that one. All 6 of my collector cars have the original set up, 3 are BB and I have no issues. You may save some weight and 5-7 HP but you will save some $$$$$. I think some do it for the looks and it is popular. Just an old Camaro Guy talkin!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 10, 04:36 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

Quote:
Originally Posted by the camaro guy View Post
whats wrong with the original set up? Many opinions on that one. All 6 of my collector cars have the original set up, 3 are bb and i have no issues. You may save some weight and 5-7 hp but you will save some $$$$$. I think some do it for the looks and it is popular. Just an old camaro guy talkin!
he is from texas, i can understand him wanting a alum rad. It gets hot down there stuck in traffic on the hwy's?

BILL D.
JOHN 3:16
SEMPER FI
if you have a bbc in your 1st gen 67-69 camaro click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post yours up!!

if you have an all original 1st gen camaro 67-69 click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post your up!!

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 10, 05:04 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

I got mine from Speedway Motor's, I haven't put it in but all I had to do is drill four holes to mount it and it run about $560 for the rad and duel fan with a relay sw.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 10, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcome and the ideas.

It does get plenty hot here in the summer, and I also have a Vintage Air system that heats things up even more. I know there has been a lot of talk about using a e-fan and shroud set-up from a Taurus (mid-90's?), and I've seen the 2nd gen. guys use a rad from a 99 Malibu. Heard of anything like that for our gen?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 10, 12:47 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Got mine off Ebay... was about $270 (Champion radiator). 21" 3 core w/ 16" fan.

Had running in garage for 30 minutes.... never went over 120*

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 10, 04:32 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

I'll say it again, I am running a 427 in my 69 Chevy truck with AC and pulling 5000lb of 69 Camaro behind at 75 MPH and have never had a over heating problem running the roads in Oklahoma and Arkansas. The factory 4 core and clutch fan with a 180 theromostat work just fine at half the cost of the newer set ups. Just and old Camaro guy talkin!!!!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 10, 07:07 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve O.

A factory 3 or 4 row radiator,or better yet a 2 row aluminum with a factory shroud and a factory clutch with a 5 or 7 blade fan will cool better when maxed out than just about anything out there.
It's amazing how much air it puts out when the clutch is locked at low RPM like in traffic.
It has blown the fender covers off my ride before....

Plus it won't tax your electrical system,espiecially when the AC is on.

Try a direct fit Alum.Rad from AFCO available from Summit..bolts on like stock and has the lower shroud clips already installed unlike most others out there....and the price is nice.

67' Vert RS Tremec TKO- Eaton 3:55- 350 cu.- L98 heads-Vintage Air- Torque Thrust-BFG.g-force 4-wheel disc.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 10, 07:17 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve O.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AFC-80251N/

Here is the link.

67' Vert RS Tremec TKO- Eaton 3:55- 350 cu.- L98 heads-Vintage Air- Torque Thrust-BFG.g-force 4-wheel disc.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 10, 09:59 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

I use custom radiator and dual fan setups from Portell Radiator Shop in Desoto, Missouri. Great prices and top notch equipment. The system is delivered with the shroud and fans alaready assembled. The radiator has a smooth aluminum top plate. All you have to do is put it in the car, install the temperature sending unit and run the wiring harness. I have a system in my Corvette and one in the wife's Camaro. I plan to install one in my son's Nova too.

There's a fine line between hobby and obsession and I think I crossed it!

69 Camaro SS 350 4 Speed (5 Speed)
69 Corvette L46 Roadster 4 Speed
99 Corvette 1SC Roadster 6 Speed
Hot Rod Power Tour Long Hauler 08, 09, 10, 11, 12 & 13
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 10, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. That's a bunch of good stuff. I can appreciate the original set-ups and also the higher-end drop-in equipment.

Has anybody 'put together' a cooling system from modern parts/cars? I have a good connection at a local wrecking yard and can get the parts for pretty cheap. Any leads along those lines?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode