Coolant return system - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 10, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Daniel Mitchell

Send a message via Skype™ to dmitchel1981
Coolant return system

My Dad bought a coolant return system from Oreilly and I wasn't sure if I could even use it. My mechanic used an antifreeze bottle temporarily but that obviously won't last long. I don't want to give up my washer fluid container if I don't have to. The main issue is this car has been torn apart for over 4 years and we are slowly putting parts back in and I can't remember how everything will look put together. Will you all please look at the attached images and tell me if you think I could use it and where?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 10, 08:04 PM
Senior Tech
Michael

Re: Coolant return system

I don't have one, personally I think it is an unnecessary clutter. Just take a small line and run it to the ground. If its getting a little more warm just add. We don't do this today because of "environmental" issues. A little won't hurt on your antique that isn't driven as a primary.

If you want you can put that think in the engine compartment. Just looks trashy IMO, and I wouldn't want to drill for it, but when I had one it was on my passenger fender well. Maybe try on the front of the core support kind of out of eye sight (front of battery?).
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 10, 08:26 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
"Tri-Tip"

Coolant overflow systems are to keep from having air in the system and to keep from spilling coolant which is basically toxic. Air in the system lowers the boiling point and will cause rust. There are nice overflow bottles made of tubing that will look good under your hood.

"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." ..... George Washington

Gary,TC Member with a Lemans Blue/Ivory 02D X33, DZ, M20, MS, flat hood. Only the BU code rear end is original.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 10, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Daniel Mitchell

Send a message via Skype™ to dmitchel1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary L View Post
Coolant overflow systems are to keep from having air in the system and to keep from spilling coolant which is basically toxic. Air in the system lowers the boiling point and will cause rust. There are nice overflow bottles made of tubing that will look good under your hood.

any suggestions on where I could find one for my car? I have been looking and haven't had much luck that why my Dad picked up the one he did from Oreilly.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 10, 04:04 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Try Summit Racing....

1969 Camaro SS, 350(NOM), M21, 12 Bolt Posi, 01B LOS Build
1977 Camaro, 350(LM1), M20, 10 Bolt Posi, Purchased New, (SOLD)
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 10, 05:33 AM
Senior Tech
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary L View Post
Air in the system would have to be pretty significant to lower the boiling point since you have a pressurized cap. Antifreeze is extremely corrosive so yes it causes rust, he is right though it is more reactive in the presence of air. Still though this is minimal its rusting the inside of your block which the only real place that will see air is your radiator because its higher which won't care to much (unless dexcool). Air will not flow through the system just collect around your fill cap so if you check it often no problem. Hell I run my car about an inch low maybe more before I fill it back up. It hurts nothing my car stays below 190 and quiet frankly I could care less what my car does to the environment its a collectible and after all back in the day no one controlled this.

Main reason we have overflow tanks is as stated above toxicity and people today are just to lazy to do any maintance to their car. Heck we have to put sensors to tell people to stop and help them park now. Whats next?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G1472/

I would mount this in front of your batt tray though if you insist on one. A flashy catch can for coolant overflow is a little overkill. Not like you running braided stainless line to it.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 10, 07:28 AM
Senior Tech
Todd

Don't waste your money on a catch can. Buy a recirculating set up and be done. It will keep your cooling system at the right level. I don't want the mess in my engine compartment that a catch can or overflow line causes.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 10, 07:57 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
"Tri-Tip"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitchel1981 View Post
any suggestions on where I could find one for my car? I have been looking and haven't had much luck that why my Dad picked up the one he did from Oreilly.
This is the one I was referring to. Evidently Moroso makes one too.

"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." ..... George Washington

Gary,TC Member with a Lemans Blue/Ivory 02D X33, DZ, M20, MS, flat hood. Only the BU code rear end is original.

Last edited by Gary L; Mar 19th, 10 at 05:41 PM.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 10, 09:01 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Daniel, consider a couple of points. First, there is NO car built in the world without a coolant recovery system. And you can't drag race without a catch can. The recovery system precludes the catch can.
Back in the sixties it was common to see antifreeze under an engine in a parking lot. I thought even then that it was not classy. Kinda like oil leaks. Besides, running with air in your engine allowed rust to form. It was a common maintenance chore to boil out the rust with acid.
Then in 1970 GM came out with Closed Cooling. I bought one the next day. End of spills, and dead pets too.
Of course that system was a little different than the ones out there today. And even my sailboat diesel came with a recovery tank and that was 25 years ago. There's a reason for that. Here's my Moroso.

Wanna see the one on my sailboat? Sure you do,,,,,,, the engine is on the otherside of the mounting bulkhead. This is from Summit.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 10, 10:16 AM
Senior Tech
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Ficarra View Post

Wanna see the one on my sailboat? Sure you do,,,,,,, the engine is on the otherside of the mounting bulkhead. This is from Summit.
Don't boats use that water they are submeresed in for cooling?
Maybe the sail boat is different because they don't want to mess with the hull shape for something like that because of effects on speed?

Nice set up though, mighty 1 cylinder diesels.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 10, 03:00 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Michael! Sorry, I missed this.
No sail boat with an inboard engine uses raw water cooling. It will ruin the block in a short time when in saltwater. I learned that the hard way in 1972 with my SBC ski boat. Then my first inboard sailboat engine came raw water cooled because I wouldn't pay the factory the outrageous asking price for a closed system. I did it myself for 1/5th the cost.
Also that black cylinder is not a diesel. It's the oil separator for my refrigeration system. (The engine is a 3 cylinder Yanmar.) Probably didn't need the separator but what the hell, it's my boat and I want it. Wanna see more of the refer system? There's lots. (built it myself. Horrible mistake, but I learned a lot.)

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 10, 06:18 PM
Senior Tech
Vall

I just use a catch can that was $15 from Summit. Every once in awhile I drain it into a container and pour it back into the radiator when it's cold. Only gets maybe 1/4 cup in a month or more of pretty constant driving.
That's it over on my driver's side fender. (decal optional)
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 10, 08:59 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

What radiator caps are folks using with a coolant recovery system?

Mike - '68 Camaro - aftermarket or modern pretty much everything.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 10, 10:09 PM
Senior Tech
Todd

Mike, I'm using a 17-19lb cap. I tested my system at that pressure to make sure it was compliant.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 10, 10:01 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post
Mike, I'm using a 17-19lb cap. I tested my system at that pressure to make sure it was compliant.
So just a regular radiator cap? I figured you'd need something a little different that would allow the vacuum from the cooling coolant to refill the radiator from the overflow tank.

Mike - '68 Camaro - aftermarket or modern pretty much everything.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode