March serpentine conversion kit advice - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 10, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
John sr.& jr.

March serpentine conversion kit advice

Hello; we're building a 383sbc/69 camaro; I'm considering the set-up shown here; with a pulley driven fan; the kit also says; March's serpentine pulleys have a 25 percent underdrive to free up extra horsepower; will these underdrive pulleys create any problems with other units being driven; alternator, pwr.steer? no doubt the high-flow ratio should help any overheating issues. has anyone used this set-up successfully and still had room to mount pulley driven fan (flex or clutch) and not hit alum. radiator with stock shroud? opinions appreciated; thanks John sr&jr

March Performance 22051 Standard Mount Serpentine Conversion Kit SB-Chevy - Long Water Pump Deluxe Series High Water Flow Ratio Drives Alternator Water Pump Saginaw Keyway-style Power Steering Pump
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 10, 04:40 PM
Senior Tech
Frank

Re: March serpentine conversion kit advice

Sell and install lots of them. No problem with clearance, you will need to run a flex or plastic fan and a spacer you will have decide how big a spacer.

If we can help let us know
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 10, 04:58 PM
Senior Tech
Al

I've never understood why they call that a serpentine system. It's the same thing GM did in 1969 but with polished aluminum brackets and a wider belt. I always thought a serpintine system is one in which one belt runs all of the accessories. It looks nice, though. As far as "freeing" up extra power....at the expense of what? Alternator or water pump output? I dunno....I've always been leery of such claims - kinda like electric fans.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 10, 07:22 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dennis

On my setup and I know several others on this site, had to go to a smaller diameter alternator pulley to keep it charging at idle with the underdrive pulleys.

Dennis
69 Z/28. 302DZ, Autogear M22, Red w/black stripes.
69 Camaro, ZZ4, 700R4, 8.5 3:42 posi, X11
70 Nova SS 396, 4sp, 3:55 12 bolt
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 10, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
John sr.& jr.

Hi Dennis; was it a similar March 22051 set up; and were you able to request a smaller alt. pulley at time of purchase? I just contacted March; they said; the 22051 kit doesn't have 25% underdrive pulleys; like Summit add/descripton states; so there won't be any issues; kit includes a 7" crank and a 2 1/2" alt. pulley. thanks Johns

Last edited by Femino_Racing; Apr 8th, 10 at 01:08 PM.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 10, 01:20 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

I too would doubt any performance claims on this as it looks just like a stock setup. I have about the exact same setup from March (called a Mid-Mount), but I have A/C also and only one belt. I use an electric fan (2 actually)

-Kevin

'68 RS Camaro, 454 SBC
'69 Camaro, body only
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 10, 09:28 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Femino_Racing View Post
Hi Dennis; was it a similar March 22051 set up; and were you able to request a smaller alt. pulley at time of purchase? I just contacted March; they said; the 22051 kit doesn't have 25% underdrive pulleys; like Summit add/descripton states; so there won't be any issues; kit includes a 7" crank and a 2 1/2" alt. pulley. thanks Johns
I bought it several years ago and did not request a different alt pulley. Not sure if you can do that or not. Your correct, the 22051 is high flow, not increased HP. That HP would be the 22021.

If you ever need the smaller alt pulley for your system, it is #112. 1 11/16". Works great. Here my system now. Just like yours except for air.

Dennis
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 10, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
John sr.& jr.

thanks Dennis; for photo/info; looks nice; can I add on to #22051 kit at later date; if I add a/c? Johns
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 10, 10:51 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dennis

Yes, they sell the AC bracket with the tensioner seperately. It's a pricey little item but fits nice. Here's a little better pic of the AC bracket.

Dennis
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 10, 03:56 AM
Senior Tech
Frank

A much better layout for a Camaro is the the mid mount A/C bracket. Puts the compressor below the alternator and prevent crossing the engine with the A/C hoses. When combined with our hidden hose routing behind the inner fender for the A/C lines, you barely see hoses.

If you already have the alternator / Power Steering kit shown buy the OP, you can buy a combo Alternator / A/C bracket to do a mid mount.

We sell quite a few of the Mid mount kits. If your starting from scratch, the Style Tracs have become super popular also.

March Mid Mount

March Style Trac
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 10, 05:33 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bill

John ,I have the same part number on my 383 works fine with my stock fan shroud and stock gm clutch fan or flex fan with spacer, never any problems with the alternator charging.

Bill
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 10, 07:20 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Garage

Frank I ordered the 22072 (top picture) and had to order the power steering cover as it did not come with the kit but overall I like the look very much and although I heard some people had issues with the quality I found it all very well packaged and no scratches or nicks on anything I received, top quality. It all fit perfectly although I have a later model high amp alternator that the adjuster will not fit properly but there was an extra bracket that I am using, that was included in the kit, that appears to have taken care of that problem.

Steve
The best laid plans are those not made (mine)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 10, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
John sr.& jr.

Hi Frank; good suggestion on mid-mount 22072; is it offered in reduced cost "deluxe"
series ? and can you use a a/c delete pulley set-up on bracket and maybe add compressor at later time? or buy it with alt.only now and add a/c bracket down the road? thanks Johns
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 10, 09:01 PM
Senior Tech
Frank

You could bypass the A/C for now and add it later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode