Vintage Air Line Length - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 10, 06:57 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jason

Vintage Air Line Length

My car is being painted now and I want to go ahead and order my A/C system so its ready to install when I get it back. I will be running the lines out the blower motor hole and through the fender to the compressor which will be on the passengers side of the engine. For those of you that have done this, do you know how long do the hoses need to be to reach the compressor? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 10, 07:32 AM
Senior Tech
Ted

Re: Vintage Air Line Length

Jason you have my car! Just kidding sort of. Checked your profile and your pic is of my car. Mine is a black 69 with TTII's also. Mine also is in the body shop for work and paint. No vinyl again for me. Any way to your question. I too am in the process of the VA Gen IV install and doing the same thing. When I ordered mine from Frank at Prodigy my #10 hose is 8' long and the #6 that runs up to the condensor is 9'. Of course once everything is installed and measured the lengths will vary. I am running the March mid-mount serp. belt conv., putting the compressor on the passenger side. I know hose is not cheap but you want to make sure you have enough length. The heater hoses will probably be about the same length as the #10, maybe a little longer. Sorry can't give you exact lengths. Talk to Frank, he can set you up. Also are you doing a smooth firewall? If you are you might want to wait on the paint. Because the VA unit has you mount one of the support brackets through an existing hole in the wall. That is my issue right know and am trying to work through it. I have been posting recent questions along this line.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 10, 08:15 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
tom

i just installed my va system i got from frank, i also am smoothing the firewall, i made up some tap pads and welded them on the inside f/w, and inside the cowl area, it worked great, the upper pad is 1/4"x 1"x6", the lower pad is 3/4"x2"x3", if you drill the hole and tap it 1/4-20 all the way thur, you can bolt it to the f/w one way (outside) for location, use a long bolt to slide the va system over it, and bolt the top pad to the va system hold where you want it and tack the top pad, worked great, and you don't need the nylon spacer, brings the unit inside the car about a 1/2"

thanks tom

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 10, 08:26 AM
Senior Tech
Ted

Tom do you have pics of your tap pads? And an interior shot?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 10, 09:09 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
tom

i don't have any right now but i can get them up on here for ya tomorrow it did work out well i didn't like the idea of drilling holes thru the cowl and when i first held the unit in it's location it stuck out thru the heater core hole with didn't work well for a smooth f/w thats when i thoght about a tap pad use them alot at work. when you drill the hole thru the 3/4" block and tap it thru you can actually bolt the block in position using the same hole that va recommends then using 1/4-20 by 1/2" long hex head bolts with locks and flat washers you can use the bottom bolt as a guide and hold the unit up to the cowl (i used some block of wood) and tack it in place just take the bolt out and finish welding it

and as long as i'm here i have never messed with an ac unit before is there any way you could get me some pics or info on what fitting and hoses go where i'm kinda in the the dark about the connections

thanks tom
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 10, 09:53 AM
Senior Tech
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123 View Post
i don't have any right now but i can get them up on here for ya tomorrow it did work out well i didn't like the idea of drilling holes thru the cowl and when i first held the unit in it's location it stuck out thru the heater core hole with didn't work well for a smooth f/w thats when i thoght about a tap pad use them alot at work. when you drill the hole thru the 3/4" block and tap it thru you can actually bolt the block in position using the same hole that va recommends then using 1/4-20 by 1/2" long hex head bolts with locks and flat washers you can use the bottom bolt as a guide and hold the unit up to the cowl (i used some block of wood) and tack it in place just take the bolt out and finish welding it

and as long as i'm here i have never messed with an ac unit before is there any way you could get me some pics or info on what fitting and hoses go where i'm kinda in the the dark about the connections

thanks tom
I had noticed the issue with the unit sticking through the heater core opening also. Pics of your tap pads would help me understand greatly what you did. If you go to the VA web page and click on catalog. You can scroll down to the pages that are in the upper 60's and low 70's. They have different fittings. I am getting nickel coated fittings from the local custom hose shop. And when I've dertermined the correct length I will have them crimp them on. Off of the evap. you will need 3-#10 fittings and one #6. The 6 being a 90* and the others straight or maybe one 45*. I think that will get you at the right angles to go throught the kickpanel. You might want to mount the heater control valve inside also. Haven't decided for sure yet.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 10, 01:57 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
tom

tgifford5 i hope these pics help it's kinda hard for me to get my old large a$$ under there any more

thanks tom

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 10, 07:15 AM
Senior Tech
Ted

Thanks so much Tom. Pictures are worth a thousand words.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 10, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jason

Thanks for the measurements on the hoses Ted! Its just what I needed..
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 10, 06:24 PM
Senior Tech
Frank

Zeb, just give us a call. There are a few parts you will need to do the heater blower rouyting. We have it all nailed! We also have a plate you can use if you dont weld the blower shut.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode