2 temp sending units - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 10, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

2 temp sending units

Team, I placed a temp sending unit for my temp gauge in my Edelbrock Manifold. I am now installing my radiator and want to control fans with a 185 sending unit switch. No place in the manifold for a second sending unit. Any ideas on how to do this??? Thanks…

Clean 67 - 600hp / 579ft lb, 502
St Petersburg, FL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 10, 09:05 AM
Senior Tech
Ted

Re: 2 temp sending units

What manifold do you have? I just glanced at the Eddie website and it looks as if there are 2 positions for the temp sending units. One on the drivers side and one on the passenger side.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 10, 09:13 AM
Senior Tech
Al

The cylinder heads should have pipe plugs you could remove to install a sending unit. You can also purchase a thermostat housing with provision for a sending unit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 10, 10:07 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Just remember the head will have a hotter temperature. Usually about 10 to 15 degrees difference between the intake manifold and head.

I tried using the preset sending unit but ended up buying the digitial dokata adjustable thermostat control.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 10, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

After thinking a bit more on this - the fans should come on based on water temperature coming out of the radiator. What do you thing about something like this mounted in-line with my lower radiator hose???

St Petersburg, FL
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 10, 07:16 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
David

seems like too much work to me ...just use one of the 2 head plugs. If you aren't seeing those look between middle two header tubes on each side. Probably not too important but the heads handle a lot of the engine heat so a good place to see the coolant heat by the sensor.

68 coupe ,572,tko
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 10, 07:40 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Those 185 switches come on at 185 and off at 170. I'd be inclined to think that if you put it in the engine the fan would never turn off.

Typically you want your probe in the radiator. If there's no port in it or you can't replace the drain with a sensor, there are controllers that mount to the fins.

Here's the $27 adjustable one from Flex-a-Lite:
http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/31147-99936.pdf

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 10, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

Placing the sender in the drain **** sounds like an excellent idea... Think this is the way I will go…

St Petersburg, FL
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 10, 03:51 AM
Senior Tech

You can also get thermostat housings that have threaded ports for temperature sensing devices.

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM ...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
Semper Fi! L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft, B Co 3rd AT's, Khe Sanh Combat Base, February, 1968
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old May 6th, 10, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

After some thought, I decided not to place temp sender in drain petcock. The water has been cooled by the time it gets to the bottom of the radiator so I went back to inserting the sender in the top hose. I really think this is the best place to control fans via water temperature. The insert was about 25 bucks and it has a clean look… it is “taped on” in the pic…

St Petersburg, FL
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old May 28th, 10, 05:47 AM
Senior Tech
Don

never mind

Don ~ TC Member #15 ~

Don't mess with Texas!

Last edited by ZZ_430; May 28th, 10 at 05:48 AM. Reason: wrong post
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old May 28th, 10, 06:01 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

You've got a nick on your fender brace you slob.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old May 28th, 10, 07:45 AM
Guess

I haven't installed it yet, but I have an adjustable fan controller that has me putting the probe into the upper hose. That means running the little probe wire deal between the hose and the radiator fitting.
Seems like an easy place to spring a leak! I didn't know it mounted like that when I picked it up. Should I seal the probe wire to the fitting with some high-temp RTV before I slide the hose back over it?

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old May 28th, 10, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

Joe, no need to goop it up with anything. I ran one like that on a truck. The rubber hose will bite done on it and seal just fine... At least mine did. ran it for years...

St Petersburg, FL
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old May 28th, 10, 01:27 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
Just remember the head will have a hotter temperature. Usually about 10 to 15 degrees difference between the intake manifold and head.
I despute this..
If on uses a gun to check the area yes..
I have 2 sencors 1 for the gauge the other for the idiot light...one is resistance the other a switch set at 230 drg.
I played around with swaping them over yrs ago when had issues of the gauge not reading right....the difference is only 3 to 5 degs...but the head does give hotter readings faster until the thermostat opens

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode