Need help choosing a cooling system for a blown 454 - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 10, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
Daniel

Need help choosing a cooling system for a blown 454

What cooling system are you running in your blown/supercharged 67-69 camaro? Details would be great=-) Just interested in what is working for people without complications. So if anyone has some suggestions it will be much appreciated.... Interested in anyone with a Supercharged BB that has the same clearance and horsepower issues. I believe the radiator for 67-69 camaro's is suppose to measure 28 1/2 in wide and 18 1/2 in tall give or take 1/2in or so. So finding this is easy I just want to see what people are using. As for the fan I is anyone using a dual pusher fan or just a single? What CFM is working for you? I have a 67 Camaro with a weiand 6-71 on my built 454 and I am trying to decide what I should go with, I have looked into several options but now I need personal opinions and details. I have heard a stock radiator would be fine but don't beleive it. I find radiators that say they can handle up to 400 and 600 horsepower, some even 1000hp but not that will fit in my Camaro, but what if I have more power, Can I still use the 600 hp radiator. Also I have been told I should use a fan with at least 2800 cfm, does anyone know if this is acurate? It is very difficult to find pusher fans over 2500 cfm, I don't have enough clearance for a puller fan. I'm not sure how effective dual fans would be since the opening where my radiator is mounted is maybe 22 by 17. Thank you for anyone who can help.

Dan

Last edited by Vandan1434; Apr 28th, 10 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Re-phrase
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 10, 07:44 AM
Senior Tech
Ted

Re: Need help choosing a cooling system for a blown 454

Contact Blown69RS. If you look through his profile he has picks of his blown car. But his is a SB. He might be able to give you some clearances that he has between eng. and fans. And what fans he is using. And can't tell what he is using for fans.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 10, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Daniel

Thank you!

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 10, 09:00 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

BeCool offers a couple modular kits (radiator, dual fans, overflow can). I have the 700HP kit but there also is a 1000HP kit. Depending on how "shiny" you want it all to be will cost you a bit more.

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 10, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Daniel

With my big block I have about 6" of clearance from the radiator mounting grill to my blower belt/pulleys. That is why I have to go with pusher fans so I can mount them on the exterior of the radiator on the front of the car so the fans will push the air rather then pull it which is a lot more common.. Thank you a bunch

Dan's Pro/Street Z28 Camaro
"Drive nice it's contagious"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Vandan1434; Apr 28th, 10 at 01:13 PM.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 10, 11:11 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Here is a pic with some measurements of my 68 with 454, BeCool 700 HP modular kit with dual fans, Eddy short water pump and 2 groove basic pulley. The motor is sitting on SBC motor frame brackets which means if BBC brackets were installed, I would have a bit less room as they push the motor 3/4" forward.

Matt

post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 10, 12:53 PM
Senior Tech
Ted

Check out the Entropy with dual fans for BB on Ebay. They say they pull 3000cfm. Ask them for the measurements of the radiator to see if it will work. I have one but I am running a sb. Love it though. I don't know the measurements off the top of my head. And my car is 35 miles away in the body shop.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 10, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Daniel

I too have the BB on the sbc mounts, but the supercharger w/ a 4 inch belt sit 11.5 inches out from the edge of the block. It looks like you are sitting only 9.5 out. If I had the 2 extra inches it would work with no problem. Thank you for the picture =-)

post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 10, 12:08 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandan1434 View Post
If I had the 2 extra inches it would work with no problem.
Sadly, I've used that line before....

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM ...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
Semper Fi! L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft, B Co 3rd AT's, Khe Sanh Combat Base, February, 1968
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 10, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
Daniel

It's always nice to see some people have a great sence of humor! Thanks for the laugh =-)

post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 10, 09:23 PM
Senior Tech
george

Quote:
What cooling system are you running in your blown/supercharged 67-69 camaro? Details would be great=-) Just interested in what is working for people without complications. So if anyone has some suggestions it will be much appreciated.... Interested in anyone with a Supercharged BB that has the same clearance and horsepower issues. I believe the radiator for 67-69 camaro's is suppose to measure 28 1/2 in wide and 18 1/2 in tall give or take 1/2in or so. So finding this is easy I just want to see what people are using. As for the fan I is anyone using a dual pusher fan or just a single? What CFM is working for you? I have a 67 Camaro with a weiand 6-71 on my built 454 and I am trying to decide what I should go with, I have looked into several options but now I need personal opinions and details. I have heard a stock radiator would be fine but don't beleive it. I find radiators that say they can handle up to 400 and 600 horsepower, some even 1000hp but not that will fit in my Camaro, but what if I have more power, Can I still use the 600 hp radiator. Also I have been told I should use a fan with at least 2800 cfm, does anyone know if this is acurate? It is very difficult to find pusher fans over 2500 cfm, I don't have enough clearance for a puller fan. I'm not sure how effective dual fans would be since the opening where my radiator is mounted is maybe 22 by 17. Thank you for anyone who can help.

Dan
Dan..I am running an 8-71 blown big block in a 68 camaro.I run the dual 12" pullers in the low profile Spal 30102130.Fits a 26x18 core surface and flows in excess of 4000 cfm.Right about $350 from A1 electric.
This fan kit will work with your 3" gilmer belt and move more air than a class 5 hurricane.
I gave up on electric fan cfm ratings.theres no industry standard to compare apples to apples.i have found that for every 1000cfm stabbed to a core surface will require 10 amps to operate.
The spal kit i suggest you purchase will yank over 45 amps with both fans operational.its not reqd to run both at the same time..but this fan kit will cool my blown big block in grid lock traffic and never exceed 190f.
I run a 2 row griffan aluminum with a zz502 water pump.
Hope this helps you somewhat.

George
68 Camaro
8-71 blown 461 Rat on E-85
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 10, 06:22 AM
Tech Team
Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatblock View Post
Dan..I am running an 8-71 blown big block in a 68 camaro.I run the dual 12" pullers in the low profile Spal 30102130.Fits a 26x18 core surface and flows in excess of 4000 cfm.Right about $350 from A1 electric.
This fan kit will work with your 3" gilmer belt and move more air than a class 5 hurricane.
I gave up on electric fan cfm ratings.theres no industry standard to compare apples to apples.i have found that for every 1000cfm stabbed to a core surface will require 10 amps to operate.
The spal kit i suggest you purchase will yank over 45 amps with both fans operational.its not reqd to run both at the same time..but this fan kit will cool my blown big block in grid lock traffic and never exceed 190f.
I run a 2 row griffan aluminum with a zz502 water pump.
Hope this helps you somewhat.
I read quotes like yours and I am jealous. I built a 68 with a big block stroker motor and put an 8-71 blower on it and I have been fighting over heating problems from the beginning. I installed a bigger radiator with dual fans (don't know the cfm) and that helped a little. I took the plugs out of the back of the intake and ran lines up to the thermostat housing to keep from having an air pocket at the back of the head/block and that seemed to help a little. I installed a Mk VIII dual speed fan that everyone says is the most powerful and it helped. Then I went to an electric pump and still I was having issues but each step seemed to help because it would get hot slower. I ran it with a thermostat and it got hot FAST so I took that out. A friend who races circle track suggested I use a restrictor instead of a thermostat. I was skeptical but it seemed to solve the problem when I used the medium size. I was happy! Then I had to remove the motor because of clearance issues with the oil pan (too deep and kept hitting things). Took motor out, installed new pan (and a Titan oil pump while I was there), re-installed the motor and now it runs hot again!! I have moved the timing, nothing. I had Meziere build me a special high volume pump and nothing, still too hot. HELP!! At idle the temp will continue to creep up until I shut it down at 215 degrees. I cruise down the road and the temp continues to creep up until I shut it down at 215-220 degrees. The fan moves a ton of air. The radiator is a new three row. The motor only has about 100 miles on it and I cleaned the block myself when it was being built. I had the heads off while the motor was out just to check everything and I went from a Fel-Pro MLS head gasket to their regular high performance gasket (I had a new set on the shelf and didn't want to spend another $200 on head gaskets). I tried to find out if the coolant passages through the gaskets are different but Cometic says everyone uses the same size holes. I tried the medium water restrictor again and ran it without the restrictor. Still a problem. ANYONE know what to do next?

Last edited by blown525; Sep 11th, 10 at 06:35 AM.
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 10, 06:30 AM
Senior Tech
Frank

We have a system that will cool the Space Shuttle, Dual 16" fans, 4780 CFM. If this wont cool it, you have "other issues"

We run a similar set up in our Bull Run Racer Chevelle. It has the same size rad and fans, just does not have the aluminum support. This year on Bull Run we ran through the desert (at advanced speed, Uhm, Clears throat), sat in Vegas traffic (for hours), all in 117 degree heat with the A/C blowing.

The set up below does require the aluminum support to allow for the bigger core and 16" fans. If I was building a blower car, i would start here and build my car around the cooling system.

As we speak, i am adding Vintage Air Gen IV to My Street / Drag car, and I am installing one off these today. I run a half filled (bottom of freeze plugs) small block so i have heating issues of my own. I will post some pics in a couple days when I am finished

post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 10, 06:38 AM
Tech Team
Martin

Quote:
I too have the BB on the sbc mounts, but the supercharger w/ a 4 inch belt sit 11.5 inches out from the edge of the block. It looks like you are sitting only 9.5 out. If I had the 2 extra inches it would work with no problem. Thank you for the picture =-)
Nice motor. Where did you get the alternator mount?
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 10, 06:45 AM
Tech Team
Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyCustoms View Post
We have a system that will cool the Space Shuttle, Dual 16" fans, 4780 CFM. If this wont cool it, you have "other issues"

We run a similar set up in our Bull Run Racer Chevelle. It has the same size rad and fans, just does not have the aluminum support. This year on Bull Run we ran through the desert (at advanced speed, Uhm, Clears throat), sat in Vegas traffic (for hours), all in 117 degree heat with the A/C blowing.

The set up below does require the aluminum support to allow for the bigger core and 16" fans. If I was building a blower car, i would start here and build my car around the cooling system.

As we speak, i am adding Vintage Air Gen IV to My Street / Drag car, and I am installing one off these today. I run a half filled (bottom of freeze plugs) small block so i have heating issues of my own. I will post some pics in a couple days when I am finished

Does this setup replace the entire core support? How much does a setup like this cost? Will it clear a Meziere 55 gpm electric pump? Looks like a nice system.

Last edited by blown525; Sep 11th, 10 at 10:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode