67 big block cooling - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 10, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

67 big block cooling

i have a 402 bored 30 over.i have a gilmer type belt drive & a 4 core radiator.i was wanting to put a electric fan on to go along with the flex fan.what i want to know would i need a electric fan that pushes air threw radiator or one that pulls air threw radiator.i don't want the manual flex fan to interfere with the electric fan or the electric fan to interfere with the manual one.i want them to work together & not conflict with each other.my motor runs about 190 on the road but if i stop and idle for 15 min it runs up to 215 or 220.i have a 180 thermostat in it now.is 220 to hot.i have always ran a small block & like to see them run around 190-195
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 10, 01:21 PM
Senior Tech
red

Re: 67 big block cooling

Do you have a shroud? Both fans needs to work in same direction of air flow. Towards engine. Do you have the under the carberator passage blocked off in intake manifold? Do you have a oil splash baffel under intake? What size pulley do you have on waterpump and crankshaft?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 10, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

i have a shroud & the pulleys are the ones i had for a stock long water pump.so is the crank pulley.have a oil sheild baffle under intake

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 10, 01:52 PM
Senior Tech
red

These were things i did to help. I had a smaller water pump pulley for high water flow. Made sure fan is inside shroud at least 3/4 inch. Big flex fan also for air flow. Filled area of shroud diameter wise. Were is your temp guage located? head or intake/
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 10, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

i appreciate your help.my sending unit is in the head.i have the fan blades 3/4 to 1 inch inside of shroud
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 10, 05:50 AM
Senior Tech
red

Does your engine sound hot. If you have good air flow across radiator, air sound and engine does not appear to be hot hot but your guage reads 220, then i would have running in drive way with rad. cap removed and place external temp guage in rad fluid and see if lower temp is registered. Head temp guage to me reads a little higher caused by were located by the cylinder heat generated. Another thing is to see if you can get smaller pulley on waterpump or larger on crank and then see if you notice a difference in guage reading or it takes longer in traffic to warm up. I just did this lately with new engine. It was running warmer than other engine but major chages i did was bigger waterpump pulley and clutch fan for originallity. So i put on the other flex fan and spacer and i noticed the difference right away.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old May 5th, 10, 05:51 AM
Senior Tech
red

After adding straight fan and smaller pulley for waterpump, just got at canfield ohio swap meet, temp in my car dropped 10%.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old May 5th, 10, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

i cant change pulleys I'm running a belt drive.that's the reason i thought i would run a electric fan with the Manuel fan.i think my timing was off.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old May 6th, 10, 05:29 AM
Senior Tech
red

Sorry, i see you listed a gilmor set up earlier. missed that. High flow thermastat can help too.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old May 6th, 10, 06:44 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

yep i have the high flow stat thanks to all who have helped
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old May 6th, 10, 07:48 PM
Senior Tech
Vall

I had a similar problem with my BBC engine. I changed to a 2 row radiator that's the same thickness as the 4 row, but 2 rows give more cooling area. I also changed to a Weiand hi flow aluminum water pump. I don't run a shroud or a electric fan now. I used to have both and ran near 200* traveling, and boiling over after 10-15 minutes of idling.
Now I run 170* driving, and might get to 200* idling in the hottest summer days.
You didn't mention which radiator you have? I also went to the largest I could find (width) as the original was a 19"x 26" core, and the new one is a 19"x31" core.

1971 SS427 Camaro. 2nd owner since 1973!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode