water temp gauge reading hot..air pocket? - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old May 8th, 10, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
John Doe

water temp gauge reading hot..air pocket?

so i had a cheap aftermarket mechanical gauge ran to the pipe threaded hole in the cylinder head. it was between #1 and #3. it always read about 190 worked very well for me.
i decided to go with a sport comp auto meter electical gauge. i wanted to hide the wire more so i ran it to the pipe thread hole between #6 and #8.
with the cap off it reads about 230* at a standing idle for 10 mins. as soon as i put the cap on it clims to 250* and stays there.
right now i do have the heater core lines pinched off as my core has spung a leak and im waiting for a new one.

i have some questions.
is the location ive selected too far back in the coolant flow to get a cooler temp?

do i have an air pocket trapted?

is the fact that my core lines are blocked off not allowing passage restricting me?

i really dont want to run the sensor to the manifold as i have no clean way to chase a wire up there.

thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old May 8th, 10, 03:50 PM
Senior Tech
David

Re: water temp gauge reading hot..air pocket?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked Racing View Post
so i had a cheap aftermarket mechanical gauge ran to the pipe threaded hole in the cylinder head. it was between #1 and #3. it always read about 190 worked very well for me.
i decided to go with a sport comp auto meter electical gauge. i wanted to hide the wire more so i ran it to the pipe thread hole between #6 and #8.
with the cap off it reads about 230* at a standing idle for 10 mins. as soon as i put the cap on it clims to 250* and stays there.
right now i do have the heater core lines pinched off as my core has spung a leak and im waiting for a new one.

i have some questions.
is the location ive selected too far back in the coolant flow to get a cooler temp?

do i have an air pocket trapted?

is the fact that my core lines are blocked off not allowing passage restricting me?

i really dont want to run the sensor to the manifold as i have no clean way to chase a wire up there.

thanks for the help.
Does the electrical gauge have an adequate ground??????

David F.
www.firstgens.com

"All I need is a fast machine". Steve McQueen
My Machine: 1969 Pro Street Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

468 CID 661 Horsepower
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Turbo 400
33"x19.50" Mickey Thompsons

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old May 8th, 10, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
John Doe

david,
yes it has the same groud as my other gauges which are working just fine.
i sat and watched the temp rise to 230 hold then spike once i locked the cap on. it was moving slowly so the ground should be fine.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old May 8th, 10, 05:28 PM
Senior Tech
Patrick

I am running 2 temp guages in my truck that has a 400 engine. The one between 1&2 reads 180*. The one between 6&8 reads 210* and both gauges have been swapped and are reading accurate.

When I first built this engine I was having problems with it boiling over. After searching I found that it was only the pass side that was overheating. I drilled the rear of the intake on the passenger side and did the "bypass" trick running a 3/8 hose to the water pump. Before this mod, the pass side was getting up to 260*. Now I have some extra flow on that side and it helped it equal out the temps.

Here is the link: https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=145235

69RS/SS,383,10:1cr,4.10,60ft1.6sec,1/[email protected],1/[email protected],Vicjr,RPMheads,750dp, Proform main body, cam,246*-250*@.050,.510,522,1.6rr,700r4,3200stall
383 IS SOLD!
Building a 489BBC

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old May 8th, 10, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
John Doe

i never thought the 2 sides would run that far apart. i have never had a over heating problem in the past nor now. i was ready for it to boil over but i didnt even get any coolant in the over flow.

my rpm air gap intake does already have the ports in the rear of the intake. i may look into that but i dont know if i have the room for more hoses.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old May 9th, 10, 01:40 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked Racing View Post
i never thought the 2 sides would run that far apart. i have never had a over heating problem in the past nor now. i was ready for it to boil over but i didnt even get any coolant in the over flow.

my rpm air gap intake does already have the ports in the rear of the intake. i may look into that but i dont know if i have the room for more hoses.

My AutoMeter mechanical gauge in the head between cylinders 1 and 3 reads almost 20 degrees higher than the temp sensor for my EFI which is installed in the front boss of the intake (RPM Air Gap).

Those back ports on the Air Gap are a dead head so I didn't want to run anything in them since flow would probably be poor.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old May 9th, 10, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Also, the new sending unit should not be adapted in the head. The more adapters used, the further away the sending unit is from the coolant, the hotter it will read, its reading head temperature rather than coolant temp.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode