Overheat issues - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old May 15th, 10, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Ken

Overheat issues

Hey guys, just got my 69 on the road to find it overheats(230-240 deg) when driving after awhile(15miles odd). It is a zz502 with a gm serpentine system. I have been through all the common issues e.g. water pump spinning the right way(reverse cavitation), timing, fuel mix, t/stat failure etc.
I even bought another new premium radiator( full alloy) with a 16" thermo and it helped a little bit but still eventually overheats. I have now even installed a push thermo and fabrricated an air intake which sits under the valance to direct air straight into the radiator. I do have an a/c condensor about 2" in front of the radiator but this air intake feeds straight into the space between them so it should rule out any air turbulence caused by the condensor. Horrid thoughts of incorrect head gaskets blocking off water holes are a possibility but I hope not.
The only things I am thinking off is a possible flow problem with the serpentine kit(although when I pulled the top hose off it pumps the radiator dry very quickly), or a far out one like... I am running hedman shorty headers and had to clearance primaries 3 and 5 to fit around steering box, seeing as they are only 1 7/8" primaries the back pressure causing heat problems, far out I know but I am stumped. Any help would be great thanks, Ken.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old May 15th, 10, 07:07 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: Overheat issues

Having a large fan helps, 7-blade? Gotta pull air across the radiator to cool.
Might try a high flow thermostat rather than a standard thermostat.
Five hundred cubic inches generates alot of heat, especially at higher rpms, say 3000 rpm.
General rule of thumb, if it isn't puking, boiling over, it's not overheating.
Might also try a 22 lb rad cap. Radiators are tested to 50 PSI for integrity.
Radiator big enough? My OE Dually, 454, with A/C on, 34X17X3 alum rad still runs 230F.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old May 15th, 10, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Ken

Thanks mate might look at the t/stat, I noticed the relay was hot for the thermos so just wired up another one in conjunction, took the car for a drive and it now sits on around 200 so it`s looking good... we are in winter here though so it might be a little ordinary come summer.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old May 15th, 10, 10:12 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
find it overheats(230-240 deg) when driving after awhile(15miles odd).
If driving around there is more air flow from the movement of the car than any fan will put thu....

If a cooling system is up to scratch, the difference between a frosty morning in winter and a hot summers day will only be marginal, 5 deg at most, and thats under load up a mountain.

Quote:
Thanks mate might look at the t/stat,
Yep I think so to....drill a couple 3/16 holes se if that helps...also drop in a jug of water, boil up from cold with a thermeter...make sure it is opening all the way up at the correct temps
Dont assume a new thermostat works correct, its not un common these days to get faulty ones...read the fine print "made in china."

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old May 15th, 10, 11:18 PM
Senior Tech

Are you sure the gauge is accurate?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old May 16th, 10, 04:06 AM Thread Starter
Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400bird View Post
Are you sure the gauge is accurate?
Definately, laser checked the motor temp to confirm
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old May 16th, 10, 06:12 AM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

Do you have the correct rotation fan??
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old May 16th, 10, 07:58 AM
Retired
Jim

I dont see you mention if you have a shroud too? If not, thats part of the problem. You need to have that shroud.

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old May 16th, 10, 02:27 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

No shroud that WILL be a problem

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old May 16th, 10, 02:36 PM
chris

Smile Re: Overheat issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevguy View Post
Hey guys, just got my 69 on the road to find it overheats(230-240 deg) when driving after awhile(15miles odd). It is a zz502 with a gm serpentine system. I have been through all the common issues e.g. water pump spinning the right way(reverse cavitation), timing, fuel mix, t/stat failure etc.
I even bought another new premium radiator( full alloy) with a 16" thermo and it helped a little bit but still eventually overheats. I have now even installed a push thermo and fabrricated an air intake which sits under the valance to direct air straight into the radiator. I do have an a/c condensor about 2" in front of the radiator but this air intake feeds straight into the space between them so it should rule out any air turbulence caused by the condensor. Horrid thoughts of incorrect head gaskets blocking off water holes are a possibility but I hope not.
The only things I am thinking off is a possible flow problem with the serpentine kit(although when I pulled the top hose off it pumps the radiator dry very quickly), or a far out one like... I am running hedman shorty headers and had to clearance primaries 3 and 5 to fit around steering box, seeing as they are only 1 7/8" primaries the back pressure causing heat problems, far out I know but I am stumped. Any help would be great thanks, Ken.
id try back flush maybe heater core is plugged thats if you have one.sure thermo is installed the right way? just my thoughts.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old May 16th, 10, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Ken

It has a full shroud and no heater connected, triple checked thermo rotation. Thanks for the replies but after fitting the new thermo relays the motor seems constant now at about 200 deg, from looking on here and around it seems the 502`s seem to run at about this or a bit above. Thanks again for the help.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old May 16th, 10, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Thermo relays control what?

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old May 16th, 10, 08:31 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dan

x2

67 RS convertible
Mark Jones 496...690hp
Liberty modified TKO600
Holley HP EFI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode