69 Camaro - Interior heater hose routing for VA Gen IV using bulkhead - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 10, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Rod

69 Camaro - Interior heater hose routing for VA Gen IV using bulkhead

I am installing my Gen IV set now and trying to get the heater hoses connected from the firewall to the evaporator. When I order the setup I ordered two 90 degree & two straight fittings thinking everything would line up. Well it doesn't. The area is so tight I really can't envision any combination of fittings working. What combination of fittings are you using? I just don't want to order fiting "hoping" they will work. Thank in advance.

Rod
69 Camaro with LS2/4l70e

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 10, 06:32 PM
Senior Tech
Ted

Re: 69 Camaro - Interior heater hose routing for VA Gen IV using bulkh

Rocketrod, do a search that I started titled - "Vintage Air IV-interior hose install-69". Vegas 69 added some pics of what he tried to do. But I don't know what his finished interior hose routing looks like. You might see if he has more pics. I have a 69 also and the VA Gen IV. It is very tight along the inner firewall. I opted to do what Prodigy Customs and others have done by going through the old fan blower hole area and not using a bulkhead. Less fittings to deal with.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 10, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgifford5 View Post
Rocketrod, do a search that I started titled - "Vintage Air IV-interior hose install-69". Vegas 69 added some pics of what he tried to do. But I don't know what his finished interior hose routing looks like. You might see if he has more pics. I have a 69 also and the VA Gen IV. It is very tight along the inner firewall. I opted to do what Prodigy Customs and others have done by going through the old fan blower hole area and not using a bulkhead. Less fittings to deal with.
I did a search and saw the post by Vegas69 and didn't see any additional pics. I may send him a pm to see what he did. I saw how Prodigy and a lot of them are doing it, but I already had the bulkhead installed by then . If I can't come up with a solution this winter I will pull the passenger side fender and use the blower hole like others have done.

Rod
69 Camaro with LS2/4l70e

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 10, 11:06 AM
Senior Tech
Ted

I would guess with the space thats there between the VA unit and the firewall. I would think Vegas69 would have had to go up and over the unit, then curl around back to the bulkhead at the firewall.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 10, 11:25 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I'd give Frank a call...I'm sure he knows.

Jim
Hanging on the Maine Coast...moved back North

1969 RS/SS, 383, 4spd, 373s, 12bolt, FatMat, Vintage Air - Super Red, and it's my first Camaro.
Engine pics

Radiator pics

Build album

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 10, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgifford5 View Post
I would guess with the space thats there between the VA unit and the firewall. I would think Vegas69 would have had to go up and over the unit, then curl around back to the bulkhead at the firewall.
I would think so, just don't know if that is the best way for my situation since my bulkhead is installed vertically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobstah View Post
I'd give Frank a call...I'm sure he knows.
I am sure a call to Frank will happen soon.

Rod
69 Camaro with LS2/4l70e

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 10, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Rod

Ok, I got my problem solved, for the lines connecting the evaporator to the bulkhead. For the A/C lines I had Vintage Air make to custom hardlines with female fittings on both ends. Vintage Air could not bend the heater lines like I needed so I took the barbed fittings (2-90 degrees and 2 straight), heated them up with a propane torch and bent each about 10-15 degrees so they line up. I should have everything together soon.

If I ever to this again I will run them out the blower motor hole, BUT I will have custom hardlines made with bulkhead fittings on one end and female on the other. A continuous rubber hose is cheap and simple, but having a rubber hose in the interior of the car is less than idea IMHO.

Rod
69 Camaro with LS2/4l70e

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode