my 67 needs some help - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 10, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

my 67 needs some help

I have a 67 camaro with a T&L 408ci stroker and a TKO600 tranny.
It seems to be running a little hot. It was about 85 out today and i took it out and it was at about 210. It has a GM big block radiator, edlebrock water pump, shrouded mechanical fan, and a 160 degree thermostat.

is 210 too hot?
what do you suppose it is or can i have a link to a troubleshoot?

Thanks a lot

67 Camaro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 10, 01:32 PM
Senior Tech

Smile Re: my 67 needs some help

Is your sending unit in the head or in the intake man? If it,s in the head, it runs a little hotter
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 10, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Re: my 67 needs some help

it is in the intake

67 Camaro

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 10, 01:09 PM
Senior Tech

Was the car getting warm while cruising or sitting idle?
210 is not too hot, but with a 160 stat the temp should get up to 160ish and stop.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 10, 06:10 AM
Senior Tech
Charlie

I would start by replacing the 160 with a 180. 160, IMHO, is too cold. You say it was running around 210, was thus on the highway or city streets? City street, as long as fan brings back down, then ok. If highway, then bad, but you really need to start with replacing the stat. Also, check the cap. Are you running an open or closed system? If closed, then the cap will have 2 rubber seals on it. 1 to seal the system for pressure and the 2nd is to seal the cap to the rad so the fluid won't leak out when the fluid goes to the overflow bottle. If the cap is old, the seal that allows pressure to build gets a groove in it and allows the pressure to leak, causing the boiling point to lower and causing the system to run hot. If all this checks out, are you running a fan clutch or flex fan? If you are running a fan clutch, is it a thermal or non thermal style? I thermal, then the bi-metal spring on the clutch that senses how hot may be bad or it may be the clutch itself. If you are running a non thermal clutch, you may want to switch to a thermal. It will help with fuel mileage.

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode