Vinatge Air - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 10, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Charlie

Vinatge Air

I am trying to get AC for my car and I was wondering if there is any place on here that gives a discount to Team Camaro members? The system I need requires utilizes a long WP and a passenger side alternator. The motor is a 71 model year and the car is a 67 model year. Also, I am thinking I am going to have to install this myself. So far I have called 2 places and the labor is anywhere from $1500-$2500. That is rediculous if you ask me. I was told it takes anywhere from 25-35 hours. How about guys? Anyone out there who's installed their own system that can shoot down that install time? Thanks.

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 10, 12:35 PM
Senior Tech
Rico

Re: Vinatge Air

Let me know if you get to a pint were you have to piece this together.. I can help.

I have a bran new VA gen 4 system that I may only need some parts form so I might need to part with it...
I just found out the kit wont work with an LS conversion
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 10, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Charlie

VA said they have to make my kit and it will take a few days. I am more concerned about getting it installed. Shops ar saying it takes 25-35hrs at a cost of $1500-$2500. That sounds crazy, but I may have to pay it. Does it really take this long to install this thing?

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 10, 02:04 PM
Senior Tech
Rico

that sounds like shop numbers.... my car is comlelty apart so it seems pretty easy to me....

but if you car is all in one piece theirs alot of work to be done..
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 10, 04:04 PM
Senior Tech
Ted

Frank at Prodigy Customs sold me mine. He also said it's about a 24 hr. job. I am doing mine but I am also doing body work at the same time. So it's a little here a little there. Depends on too how custom you want to go. Or just by their instructions. Contact Frank and tell him everything you got. And he can get the right kit for you.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 10, 06:13 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Very easy to install your self, just take your time. I had my car apart to put floor insulation in and I took all dash components out to install more insulation behind the firewall pad. I even took seats out and doors off as well as right fender . Also installed sound deadner and insulation in roof. Makes a lot of differance.

Once that is done, just find someone that will charge the system or evacuate it to check for leaks. 24 hours , on and off the clock is about right.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 10, 07:57 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdld17 View Post
Very easy to install your self, just take your time. I had my car apart to put floor insulation in and I took all dash components out to install more insulation behind the firewall pad. I even took seats out and doors off as well as right fender . Also installed sound deadner and insulation in roof. Makes a lot of differance.

Once that is done, just find someone that will charge the system or evacuate it to check for leaks. 24 hours , on and off the clock is about right.
Yep my VA install morphed into several of those projects as well. along with adding tach and clock. I then decided to do march mid mount system from driver side mount and had to change compressor and hoses. So to sum it up it could take months....
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 10, 08:58 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Send a message via Yahoo to Camaro67_rcl

I'm 2 hours away ,,, we can install it & i can evacuate & charge it too

Rick
67 RS/SS 355, Autogear M21 (w/Overdrive), 8.5w/3.42

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 10, 04:53 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

My car was dis assembled so the job was easier. I ran the hoses through the side vent and through the round hole where the fan motor was with a 67 Chevelle plate from Vintage AC. Then under the fender to hide the hoses, under the radiator core support to the compressor on the drivers side of the BB 69. The 1 complete hose was 12' long! That way I have no visible hoses except from the bottom of the radiator to the compressor. The interior out helps a lot as well as taking off the pass fender. Vintage AC helped a lot when I ran into glitches. 24 hours is about right. At $10 an hour that is $2400 bucks!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 10, 05:23 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Charlie

Bruce, $10 an hour would be $240. If they were charging $10/hr. that wouldbe great, bu they are charging $60/hr. The price I gave earlier was JUST FOR LABOR. That did not include the cost of the kit. Total was going to be around $4000 installed.

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 10, 06:23 AM
Senior Tech
Frank

20 to 24 hours is a real number for a assembled car. Depending on how much fight the cars gives, some times old bolts come out hard, is where the time variance is.

We install and sell more Vintage Air Camaro A/C then anyone. So if you buy from us you can get a tech on the phone that is doing one today or finished one yesterday almost gureenteed.

As for labor, we charge $1200 to install a system. But as other here have nmentioned, the instructions are great and with our support I believe anyone can do their own in a couple weekends.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 10, 11:02 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

It was too early in the morning when I "figured" that on out!!!!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 10, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Charlie

Frank, you charge $1200. I am very compitent when it comes to mehanics so if nfollow the directions I should be able to do this? I have to admit though inhave absolutely 0 fabrication skills so if somethings needs to be made to install this thing I am screwed.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 10, 06:35 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Frank,
I bought my kit from you last year...am just getting close to opening the boxes next month...you'll probably be getting a call.

Jim

Jim
Hanging on the Maine Coast...moved back North

1969 RS/SS, 383, 4spd, 373s, 12bolt, FatMat, Vintage Air - Super Red, and it's my first Camaro.
Engine pics

Radiator pics

Build album

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 10, 08:16 PM
Senior Tech
Frank

You can handle it, no fabrication required

The instructions are online here, just page down and make sure you looking at Gen IV Electronic

http://vintageair.com/downloads.asp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode