radiator overflow fitting busted off - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 10, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

radiator overflow fitting busted off

my radiator over flow fitting just below the cap busted off and now i have a round hole at the raditor, i tried everything i could think of but the piece is slightly heavy for any tthing to really hold it back on the radator so the line to the over flow tank can go back on.

called local parts stores and they say the fitting is weldd on piece of the radiator thus it would have to be welded back on or i would have to buy another radiator?

in the meantime when driving around will your water/coolant leak out at high rpm?s or onlky come out if full up to the hole below the cap? i dont want to over heat ..

it about helping others
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 10, 08:29 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Re: radiator overflow fitting busted off

Just go down to your local parts store and buy some JB WELD... Mix the 2-part and clean the area, then put back together and let it set up for 24 hours. Or have someone just weld it back on. Its just an over flow.

I NEED TO HIT THE LOTTERY
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 10, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter55 View Post
Just go down to your local parts store and buy some JB WELD... Mix the 2-part and clean the area, then put back together and let it set up for 24 hours. Or have someone just weld it back on. Its just an over flow.
thanks i treid JB weld already wont work in this case as far as welding i think its in an area whereby the radiator would have to come out in order to get at her properly.

My question really is will the car over heat with just having the open hole under the cap?

it about helping others

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 10, 10:55 AM
Senior Tech
Al

That's just the overflow tube. The cap seals the radiator below that tube. As the coolant heats, it expands. The radiator pukes out any fluid it doesn't want through that hole. They usually puke when the level is a little high, but once they find the sweet spot, not much comes out. Your car won't overheat because the tube is missing, but if it ever does purge fluid, it'll go under the hood instead of on the ground. I'd remove the radiator and take it to a rad shop and have it repaired - should be an easy job for them and not too much $$$.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 10, 11:58 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Christopher

This is a $30 fix at most shops. You waisted that on gas and JB weld already. Fix it right the first time, You will always be happy in the long run. There has to be at lease 2000 Radiator shops in LA.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 10, 01:26 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
This is a $30 fix at most shops. You waisted that on gas and JB weld already. Fix it right the first time, You will always be happy in the long run. There has to be at lease 2000 Radiator shops in LA.
Yep....If orginal brass everyting is soldered. JB will not work because of the higher expansion rate of the brass to the JB.
And if considering soldering yourseld..its done woth gas and solder alloy special to radiators.

For a temp fix so water doesnt overflow...full the radiator to the marks on the side.....and/or if want to get carried away. cut an old inner tube put over the cap, use a plastic tie around the base and a hose on the tube valve...no valve in it.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 10, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by psy4s View Post

Thanks your right. A new radiator will cost about $200 for a 3 row orderd from auto zone, with a 10% military discount with an active military id, to off set the tax, it isnt hard to take out yourself but the lines i have have fiuttings that i dont wantto tweak, i.e the radiator and transmission cooler lines etc, and im not 1 that has patience in regards to the brass fittings etc.

it about helping others
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 10, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
Yep....If orginal brass everyting is soldered. JB will not work because of the higher expansion rate of the brass to the JB.
And if considering soldering yourseld..its done woth gas and solder alloy special to radiators.

For a temp fix so water doesnt overflow...full the radiator to the marks on the side.....and/or if want to get carried away. cut an old inner tube put over the cap, use a plastic tie around the base and a hose on the tube valve...no valve in it.
Yes i wasted almost 10 bucks on JB weld and your right there is no way in this case that jb weld will work, the hose idea seems pretty cool and you could run itto the groundso the coolant does stay underthe hood as suggested here, this will work as a good meantime fix until the radator comes in thanks..

it about helping others
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 10, 03:58 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Not my idea...we where on a weekend hot rod club run yrs ago...1 of the guys had a real, and I mean REAL rough C cab he had thrown together with a odd ball radiator/cap that leaked....and no windscreen....we stopped at a tyre shop and thats what he did...worked a dream....knocked up over 1000 miles that weekend lol.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 10, 09:04 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Also JB weld lasts forever. Cash not wasted.
Also now is a good time to install an overflow return system. After the repair of course.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode