Vintage Air and Firewall - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 10, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tony

Vintage Air and Firewall

What are guys doing with the firewall opening where the heater core normally comes out when installing Vintage Air? I donít like the look of the plastic piece Vintage Air includes in their kits and I donít want to smooth the firewall since it has already been painted.

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 10, 01:32 PM
Senior Tech
Ray

Re: Vintage Air and Firewall

The piece I got with my VA kit was metal.
I know that someone on another forum mention getting a Heater delete plate from NPD and then located the VA lines inside the fender area.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 10, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tony

Has anyone ran their lines through the factory heater box? I was curious how that would look.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 10, 06:14 PM
Senior Tech
Ted

Tony go to the Camaro tech section. Frank from Prodigy Customs posted a questions for his website on a Vintage Air install. I think it is what you are looking for. I think if you make sure the posts for the last couple of weeks are included it should be included in there. I guess I haven't figured out how to add previous posts.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 10, 06:15 AM
Senior Tech
Ray

This is where I am at with my install: (firewall engine side)

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 10, 07:08 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mr. Tibbs

Send a message via AIM to ChevyThunder

I left my cover and ran my lines out the far left side of the firewall and behind the inner fender . My car is an original Z so I wanted to try and make it look as stock as possible. We had a Front Runner kit on it with all the Vintage Air pieces and I did not like it at all so pot the original set up with the 837 Alt and 772 fan and I mounted a small Sanden compressor in the area that the original AIR pump would have went

This photo shows the Front Runner set up but if you would like to see photos of the stock appearance with the Sanden unit I will take some

" Burn rubber not your Soul "
Camaro,Camaro,Camaro,Camaro
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 10, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyThunder View Post
I left my cover and ran my lines out the far left side of the firewall and behind the inner fender . My car is an original Z so I wanted to try and make it look as stock as possible. We had a Front Runner kit on it with all the Vintage Air pieces and I did not like it at all so pot the original set up with the 837 Alt and 772 fan and I mounted a small Sanden compressor in the area that the original AIR pump would have went

This photo shows the Front Runner set up but if you would like to see photos of the stock appearance with the Sanden unit I will take some

Chevy Thunder,
That's exactly what I'm looking for. Do you have detailed pictures of how you ran the lines. Did you have to do much cutting of the firewall and such? How did it work out over all? Looks very clean from the picture you posted.

Thanks
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 10, 03:50 PM
Senior Tech
Ted

Tony did you check out slugo10 pics of his in the Camaro tech setion? The post was started by Frank from Prodigy Customs. But slugo has the lines routed and everything. It looks like Ray's but shows a finished product.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 10, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgifford5 View Post
Tony did you check out slugo10 pics of his in the Camaro tech setion? The post was started by Frank from Prodigy Customs. But slugo has the lines routed and everything. It looks like Ray's but shows a finished product.
Yeah, I checked out am.mscl and slugo10's pictures and they look very nice. I was wondering how it would look with a factory heater box and have the lines going behind the fenderwell. I like a factory look if I can get it to look factory.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 10, 06:47 PM
Senior Tech
Frank

Tony, We have a ABS plate with four grommet holes in it that could be used to cover the heater blower hole in the firewall cover, it would be something like this except with the hoses going through the heater cover.

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 10, 09:29 PM
Senior Tech
Rod

I just did this and if I were to do it again I would use the pieces supplied by Vintage Air. The plate was metal and if you paint it to match your firewall it will look really nice. Also the kit contains hardlines to connected the evaporator so you won't have any rubber lines on the interior of the car.

Rod
69 Camaro with LS2/4l70e

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 10, 06:26 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

It seems like there are two schools of thought regarding the rubber hoses. One approach is to run straight in to the interior thus avoiding a bulkhead connection, but puts rubber hose inside the car, as opposed to using the bulkhead.

What are the pros/cons of either approach? I'll be dealing with this before too long, and haven't made up my mind which way to go. I want to go through under the passenger fender to keep the hoses hidden as much as possible.

Jim
Hanging on the Maine Coast...moved back North

1969 RS/SS, 383, 4spd, 373s, 12bolt, FatMat, Vintage Air - Super Red, and it's my first Camaro.
Engine pics
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Radiator pics

Build album

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 10, 07:29 AM
Senior Tech
Ted

Tony I would think coming out the heater box then trying to go behind the fender puts quite a bend on the hoses. I think Frank would have a better idea on that since he has done many. I was planning on using the bulkhead first but decided to do as Frank has pictured. If you use a bulkhead there are more fittings to contend with, cost of fittings and possible leaks. The VA GenIV fits very snug against the inner firewall. And just seemed to me to be a little cramped in there plus trying to use a bulkhead too. And Jim as you stated, really going through the old fan hole would keep the hoses hidden more than if you used a bulkhead. Then might come into question is serviceability and removal of parts. But I have not had one of these units so I will not comment on that.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 10, 07:44 AM
Senior Tech
Frank

The rubber hose in the interior is of no concern. FYI, Chevelle kits are designed this way from VA.

Trying to connect short hoses or tubes under the dash coming from a bulkhead, PIA! and 8 potential leaks.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 10, 05:04 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Ok...works for me.

Jim
Hanging on the Maine Coast...moved back North

1969 RS/SS, 383, 4spd, 373s, 12bolt, FatMat, Vintage Air - Super Red, and it's my first Camaro.
Engine pics

Radiator pics

Build album

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode