Vintage Air Kit 67 Camaro - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 10, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Andy

Send a message via AIM to 67SS&99SS
Vintage Air Kit 67 Camaro

I have been doing some reading on the vintage air kits for a while now and it seems like everyone is saying that the gen IV kit is the way to go. Does anyone have any pictures of this kit installed in a 67? My car would need a drivers side compressor so I would like to see a few pics of setups like this if possible. For anyone who has one of these kits installed, how do you like it? Can you use the factory type controls with the gen IV setup or do you have to use a different type controller? I like the look of the factory controls in my car, so I would like to stick with it, if possible.

Do any sponsors on the site sell these kits?

1967 Camaro SS: 406 sbc, 522hp/514 ft lbs, Doug's 1 3/4" headers, M20, posi, 3.73's, vintage air gen IV, IROC steering box, Comp Eng. weld-in sfc's & traction bars, chrome US Mags

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 10, 05:29 AM
Senior Tech
Ted

Re: Vintage Air Kit 67 Camaro

Frank with Prodigy Customs has sold many to us members. I have a 69 and am installing it now, so I don't have pictures for you. But I know at least for mine you can use the factory controls. You have electrical connections instead of cables. But it is all in the kit with pictured instructions. I'm sure there are other vendors here also. I just got mine from Frank.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 10, 07:41 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Garage

I suggest you go to: http://www.vintageair.com/downloads.asp
and look at the installation information. Yes you use the original controls as they are modified to work with the Gen4 system

As stated above Frank at Prodigy is likely the most knowledgeable person to talk to as he has done a ton of installations and is a dealer for them....I bought my system from him and he helped out big time on getting it installed.

Steve
The best laid plans are those not made (mine)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 10, 01:41 PM
Senior Tech
Frank

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Yes the Gen IV will use your original controls and we provide a new placard for the face of the control with the proper comands. Pretty slick set up.

As for drivers side compressor mount, you must have a long water pump 69 and up style bracket kit?

On the drivers side compressor mount cars I like to substitute some extra long hose so you can make the hoses disappear and run from your compressor down and to the bottom of the radiator support and then run across the lower support and back into the engine bay instead of criss crossing the engine with big hoses.

I also like to use factory style reproduction vents on the 67s which I think are some of the coolest vents ever. I love those big 67 / 68 chrome vent balls.

We can set you up with everything you need to do the cleanest installation.

Feel free to call
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 10, 01:48 PM
Senior Tech
John

Hey Frank, how about a set up for a 67 with an inline 6? Is there such a kit?

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 10, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyCustoms View Post
Thanks for the kind words guys.

Yes the Gen IV will use your original controls and we provide a new placard for the face of the control with the proper comands. Pretty slick set up.

As for drivers side compressor mount, you must have a long water pump 69 and up style bracket kit?

On the drivers side compressor mount cars I like to substitute some extra long hose so you can make the hoses disappear and run from your compressor down and to the bottom of the radiator support and then run across the lower support and back into the engine bay instead of criss crossing the engine with big hoses.

I also like to use factory style reproduction vents on the 67s which I think are some of the coolest vents ever. I love those big 67 / 68 chrome vent balls.

We can set you up with everything you need to do the cleanest installation.

Feel free to call
Thank you for the information. I agree with you on the factory style vents. I definitely want to use those. I do have a long water pump.

I just purchased this alternator bracket setup, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT

and this power steering bracket setup, http://www.marchperf.com/instruction...structions.pdf I had to go with this because my block isn't drilled and tapped for a normal power steering bracket setup.

Does the kit come with a compressor bracket that will work for me? I thought it would be easier to post these links for you to see before I gave you a call. What are your business hours? I will try to call friday or monday.

1967 Camaro SS: 406 sbc, 522hp/514 ft lbs, Doug's 1 3/4" headers, M20, posi, 3.73's, vintage air gen IV, IROC steering box, Comp Eng. weld-in sfc's & traction bars, chrome US Mags

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 10, 03:09 AM
Senior Tech
Joe

Andy,
Very nice engine, where did you get those valve covers from, I think they look sharp!

68, 396- 330 RWHP/ 354lbsTQ. TKO 600- 5 Speed. Ford 9in- 3.70 gear. Magnaflow 2 1/2 inch exhaust. --Semper Fi-Joe

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 10, 04:59 AM
Senior Tech
Patrick

Try this.
http://www.blown.net/cars/camaro68/ac/index.html

I used some Spectre 3" air intake couplers for the back of the stock vents to put the hoses in. They worked great. Also Kwik brackets and compressor is half the cost of S&P this guy used initially.

1968 Convertible L92 VVT project, Hotchkiss lowering front & rear.

Last edited by 68problemchild; Aug 20th, 10 at 01:42 PM.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 10, 05:33 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Thumbs up Re: Vintage Air Kit 67 Camaro

Here are some of my install- http://rides.webshots.com/album/560202775dZkBLK They are in my signature link (if that one doesn't open right). The kit installs pretty easy and uses the stock controls. As said before, buy it through Frank @ Prodigy Customs- one of our great sponsors! The great thing about using Frank is he can tailor the system for your particular needs, its like one stop shopping at a great price.

Chris
1968 Camaro SS coupe, Lemans Blue/medium blue interior
LS3/T56 Ridetech Suspension
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 10, 09:59 AM
Senior Tech
Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67SS&99SS View Post

Does the kit come with a compressor bracket that will work for me? I thought it would be easier to post these links for you to see before I gave you a call. What are your business hours? I will try to call friday or monday.
Yes we have a compressor bracket for you. I will need to know if your running a vee belt or serpentine, I am available until 6 oclock today.

Give me a call, we can talk through it much quicker
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 10, 01:14 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Pictures of the Classic auto Air system are worth looking at.
http://www.classicautoair.com/?q=67_...ontiac_AC.html

^^ click and look ^^

Then click each thumbnail for a detailed pic.

71 Camaro 355 NA
11.1650 @ 119.30
1.5028 60'

Last edited by hhott71; Aug 20th, 10 at 01:29 PM.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 10, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyCustoms View Post
Yes we have a compressor bracket for you. I will need to know if your running a vee belt or serpentine, I am available until 6 oclock today.

Give me a call, we can talk through it much quicker
V Belt. I will call you monday. I got tied up at work today and didn't get home late. I'll call you on my lunch break if I have to, lol.

post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 10, 05:33 PM
Senior Tech
Terry

I installed Classic Auto Air in my '68. Was able to use the original factory R12 controls and vents. Been blowing very cold for 2 years.

Last edited by IRON MAN; Aug 23rd, 10 at 07:57 PM.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 10, 05:49 PM
Senior Tech
Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67SS&99SS View Post
V Belt. I will call you monday. I got tied up at work today and didn't get home late. I'll call you on my lunch break if I have to, lol.
I will be in the shop all weekend putting my street racer back together. Call whenever.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 10, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt's68 Camaro View Post
Andy,
Very nice engine, where did you get those valve covers from, I think they look sharp!
Thanks. They are made by gm performance parts. I picked them up from jegs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode