Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 10, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Robert

Lower heater core hose connection help

First of all,

I will not cut my inner fender and I am not enthused about the idea of removing the outer fender as I am scared of not being able to line it up as straight as it is, especially having the graphics not line up as my car is flamed.

This all started out as a quick/easy hose replacement until I got to the lower heater core hose.

I am wondering if I can get the hose connection at the core to heater hose connections from inside the car, my car has factory AC and original 327.

Thanks in advance.

Same old '68 since 6/24/89
(Well, with a few changes along the way)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 10, 10:45 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Roger

Re: Lower heater core hose connection help

The good news is the heater core is accessed through the interior of the car. The bad news is the heater core is accessed through the interior of the car. You may want to take the passenger bucket out to give you room to work.

Roger

1967 Camaro SS/RS 350/295HP Coupe. First and only owner.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 10, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

But I believe Robert still has to get to the hoses from the engine side.
Small hands?
Use razor to cut the old hose off, pull off carefully, new hose in hand with clamp on, grease the inside of new hose, and slide it on nipple and tighen clamp.

Never done an A/C car.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 10, 02:52 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

You will need to at least drop the liner loose, for axcess, be VERY careful, those heater
hose nipples to the core are old and tired, they will come loose at the solder joints
very easily, now you do it twice.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 10, 04:02 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

This one of maybe 3 fiddly awkward jobs on a 1st gen

The 1st thing to be VERY careful about is not bending the heater outlets
They are only soldered into the header tanks and are quite long so there is a lot of leverage on those solder joints....
The 1st time I replaced hoses , even thu being very careful and prewarned....a few week later my heater core leaking ibside the car...

2nd time (I have had the car over 30yrs) I pulled the heater from inside the car
(this is the 3rd most awkarward job on a 3 rd gen 1st time round)....then feed the hoses thru into the car and put the heater back...

But like the above post pull the seat out and at least do the job in comfort...its worth the effort....before doing so,
drop the cardboard dash out....(the 2nd most awkward 1st gen job) yers tutning the right way it drops out just clears everything...and note which way you turned it to get it out..if you dont you will spend more time getting it back in than the whole bloody job lol.

Then there is the 3rd opition....

Head down the plumbers trade supply store...there is a brass type 60 deg exstention/joiner fitting that fits over the outlet with a gasket...when tightened up it seals real good.. This is what I did last time...and will not change.

What ever method put the heater end on before the other end

Another thing to look out for is the ID of the hose...often the connections at the other end are slightly smaller. If the ID is matched to that you will end up breaking the solder joint forcing the hose on....get an ID that slips on easy...and even if have to shim the ID of the other end.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 10, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Robert

Well, I'm relieved that it can be done without butchering or pulling the fender... now if I am up to the task.

I'm replying via my phone, so I can't view the prior posts... what cardboard dash was referenced? Was that glovebox or something else?

My car had it's core replaced in the early to mid 90's, but the hoses looked suspect on the ends and tore easily on the manifold/water pump end. I think I am on the right course and appreciate all the advice, keep it coming if possible.

Thank you,
Robert

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 10, 10:44 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
what cardboard dash was referenced? Was that glovebox or something else?
yep.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 10, 05:20 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Robert

Thanks Steptoe! Wow, a Kiwi huh? Have you participated in the Americarna? I just watched a piece on that on a show called CarCrazy, looked like a pretty great event/tour.

Thanks for the advice everybody!

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 10, 07:20 AM
Retired
Jim

Robert where in MN are you?
I found I could tighten the hose clamp from under my car jacked up with a very long screwdriver. Its very tight but doable.

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 10, 07:45 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

He might have the Corbin clamps. So it would be next to impossible to tighten/loosen with out pliers. I also have an A/C car and was able to put the lower hose on through the engine bay. I did lube the inner hose some to get it on the core. My core was new so that probably helped some (new hose, new core). I also used the Corbin clamp and was able to get it on the core. My engine is completely out of the car so not sure if that makes a difference. It seemed like I had more room to work. It is tricky trying to get in that small space.

I also replaced the blower moter on the A/C when the fender was off but completely forgot to attach the harness to the motor. Everyone I talked to said that I had to pull the fender to get the wires attached. I fought tooth and nail, I did not want to pull that fender (RS car and everything was in). It took a while and my hands got chewed up but I was able to do it. Again the engine was out = more room. If you can't get that hose on, seems like John's, Roger's and Steps ideas are best.

Good luck,

Brandan-

1969 Chevrolet Camaro 396 SS X-66

1967 Chevrolet Camaro RS Convertible

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 10, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Robert

Hi Jim! I'm in Monticello, actually at work in Becker at the moment.

Are you a member of the Northstar Camaro Club? I recently joined and have membership number 527.

I found similarly that the tech who did the work last go round had oriented the clamp smartly to be accessible from straight beneath. I just cannot manipulate the hose at all from there.

I used about a 16 inch extension, 5/16" socket and a 1/4" drive ratchet.

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 10, 02:36 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
Thanks Steptoe! Wow, a Kiwi huh? Have you participated in the Americarna?
yep ..the real big one is beach hop google it beach hop new Zealand....now that is an impressive weekend.

Can you mingine a whole town main street and side streets closed of, angle parking plus down the center for display....and still not enough so spreads outside the town and into residentual sections?
not bad for a country of only 4 mil people.

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 17, 10:03 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Garage

Robert - did you replace the heater hoses? If yes, can you tell me how you did it. I have a '68 original A/C car and want to replace the hoses and really don't want to pull the fender. Any help appreciated.
Thanks

Al
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 17, 05:22 AM
Modifiers CC.

Just a message. Always razor knife cut it off never pull on it .Instead, once you cut with razor knife peel it off the nipple. And do not use grease in hose it attacks rubber instead use silicone rubber lube or O ring lube . Also if need be inner fender can be removed fairly easily to give access .Outer fender need not be disturbed so alignment is not an issue.
Troutslayer likes this.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 17, 05:38 AM
John

Garage

This thread is from 6 1/2 years ago.

I think he may have figured it out by now.
Rider69 and Troutslayer like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode