Radiator Water Disappearing.... - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 10, 05:18 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Oscar

Radiator Water Disappearing....

I have a SBC 383, that seems to drink water fast. I can run 10 miles, and will have to put at least 1-2 quarts of water into the radiator everytime. Its a aluminum radiator and heads. Fairly new engine. I don't see any water leaking any where, and don't see any water in the oil. Any suggestions. Thinking maybe a head gasket leaking into the exhaust side, but I don't see water coming out the pipe.

Oscar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 10, 06:30 AM
Senior Tech

Re: Radiator Water Disappearing....

Do you have an overflow can?

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM ...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
Semper Fi! L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft, B Co 3rd AT's, Khe Sanh Combat Base, February, 1968
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 10, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Oscar

Yes, one of the small platic ones..

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 10, 07:36 AM
Senior Tech
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by obengston View Post
I have a SBC 383, that seems to drink water fast. I can run 10 miles, and will have to put at least 1-2 quarts of water into the radiator everytime. Its a aluminum radiator and heads. Fairly new engine. I don't see any water leaking any where, and don't see any water in the oil. Any suggestions. Thinking maybe a head gasket leaking into the exhaust side, but I don't see water coming out the pipe.

Oscar
Check the color of your plugs yet? If going into the combustion process, the cylinder getting the water will have a different color plug.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 10, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Either a small hole in the reservior or, leaky head gasket.
As suggested, check for the cleanest spark plug eletrodes - leaky cylinder.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 10, 08:57 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Quote:
Originally Posted by everett#2390 View Post
either a small hole in the reservior or, leaky head gasket.
As suggested, check for the cleanest spark plug eletrodes - leaky cylinder.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 10, 09:17 AM
Senior Tech
Michael

I had a similar situation with my iron block and aluminum head engine. Hope you don't let your car sit for long periods of time.

Swap out your head gaskets for the Mr. Gasket grafoil version.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 10, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Oscar

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking maybe a head gasket. It runs really well, but my plugs are pretty clean not much coloring at all on them...
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 10, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Another troubleshooting aid, pull the plugs and inject through the spark plug hole, with a piston at TDC, valves closed, shop air into the cylinder and check radiator for bubbles. Repeat seven more times.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 10, 06:11 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

If the impeller seal on the back of the water pump is loose or the gasket is bad, it'll only leak when hot and under pressure. It'll make you scratch your head since it won't leave any on the driveway when you start it up, just blow it out going down the road.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 10, 08:36 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

If plugs are clean on a cyclinder then get a hydrocarbon test on the radiator..most work shop do it for free...takes minutes including getting the unit, using, clean liquid, and hang on the wall again.

And if head gasket...make sure you get the head skimed...never ..never simply replace a gasket..it will come back and kick u in the butt.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 10, 02:43 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

If it's a head gasket leaking you should smell the antifreeze behind the car - especially at the rates you are talking.

69 Pace Car and 69 Hard top
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 10, 04:18 AM
Senior Tech
Peter

Are you putting straight water into the radiator? That could be your problem. 2 quarts in 10 miles is a lot of fluid to be losing, if it was your head gasket you should be able to smell it in the exhaust or see white smoke.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 10, 05:23 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Oscar

I have antifreeze in it. I have'nt noticed any smell from the exhaust or seen anything. I will re-check it. Its just that if it were leaking from the front somewhere you would think I would some some sign of that. I see no drips or wetness, but have noticed the chrome areas have specs on them so thats a sign of liquid flying. I think I will start with my overflow tank (I checked it last night and it was dry), Also pulled the valve covers the oil on the heads looked clean and water free. The valve cover itself had a small amaout of condensation, but not much.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 10, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by obengston View Post
Also pulled the valve covers the oil on the heads looked clean and water free. The valve cover itself had a small amaout of condensation, but not much.
With East Coast temps, should be no condensation.

Check water pump weep hole for signs of leakage under the pulley.
Also, as another suggested, a steam leak would be hard to find as coolant evaporates, but, it will leave a white crusty trail.

'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode