New water pump squeals - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 10, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

New water pump squeals

I just replaced the water pump on a 350 with a new Stewart phase 2 pump. The pump had been sitting on the shelf here for a year. I started up the motor and I thought it sounded a bit loud but not too bad. The cooling was fine--actually it was great. Maybe an hour of running time later I've developed a squeal at idle that goes away with increased RPM. Could the main bearing have dried out while sitting on the shelf? Do you think it might get better with use? Again, no leaks and superior cooling.

I checked the belts and they are fine--all new and tight.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 10, 08:32 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Re: New water pump squeals

Did u check the belts by pouring a little water on them?
Use a mechanics stethoscope and probe around to locate the sound or a long screwdriver to your ear.
Could be several things including the impeller touching something inside

Doubt the main bearing they are sealed units.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 10, 04:21 AM
Senior Tech
Peter

If it is the belt, use a candle and place it against the belt while it is running, it should quite the belt down.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 10, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Now I'm not so sure it is the pump--although the scraping/squeal comes from the front and it seems high rather than low in the bay. I tried water on the belts and no change. I also noted that the noise only starts when the engin is fully warm and the noise stops when you increase the RPMs. In addition to changing out the water pump I also changed the balancer and front seal--no problems with the install and no leaks.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 10, 03:57 PM
Senior Tech
Al

One drop of antifeeze on a belt or pulley and it will howl.. Try the candle wax or whatever. I squirt a little WD40 to test....

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 10, 09:44 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Water lasts about 2 min
Candle wax about 5 /10 mins

Get a mechanics stethhoscope, they are only a few bucks and real handy, or us a long screw driver with the handle held to you ear, place around the engine till u find the sound.
Would not be suprised if the alternator bushes/bearings
Does it disapear when take a bit of tension off the beltsa

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode