radiator still running warmer than i want - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 10, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

radiator still running warmer than i want

guys i have had this problem ever since i put this 402 in.the car runs 210-218 all the time i have put a high volume pump on & a monster 4 core radiator on a new shroud & a electric fan still runs the same. theirs no water in oil & its not steaming out the tail pipe.what i want to know is this guy told me to drill & tap the alumina water pump& run 2 copper lines from the sides of the block up to the water pump & this would stop it from running warm.i have a 180 stat in it now.will this work or is this something that's stupid to do.i don't want to mess up my motor.any help will be appreciated thanks.my car hasn't boiled over i just want it to run at 190-195 instead of 210-218.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 10, 12:28 PM
Senior Tech
MARSHALL

Re: radiator still running warmer than i want

I've used water wetter w/ a 160 degree thermostat, that lowered the temp about 15 degrees. the add above for purple ice could work, lots of different additives are available.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 10, 01:55 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Checked the acrruacy of the temp gauge?

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 10, 06:29 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

You can get a Chinese infrared temp gun off ebay for just a few bucks or maybe even get a free rental from a local parts store and verify your gauge by shooting different parts of the block and heads. That's how I found out the ECT probe in my intake was accurate but the mechanical probe in my head was high by 10-15 degrees at least compared to surface temps.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 10, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

-i have a infared gun & it shows rad 180 in center & stat housing 185.the front of both heads show 205-210.when i run for 20 min at idle it reads 215-218 with gun.i have tried everything still runs a little warm for me.this things making me insane.it took me a month to get it to run the way i wanted now problems with temp.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 10, 07:14 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

What kind of tuning have you done to it timing wise and with an AFR reading?

Also, once you get moving does it drop back down a little? Mine will heat up maybe ten degrees if I just leave it idling....just about any one will. 220 on a big block after a 20 minute idle in this weather does not seem like a problem to me. Once I get moving or just rev the engine a tad to speed up the waterpump mine drops right away.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 10, 08:26 PM
Senior Tech
george

I think this ir gun is like a wild goose chase.
Anytime you place a coolant temp sensor in the head..it will read higher by 10-15 * vs a balanced temp sensor in the intake manifold crossover.
The head sensor is located in such a manner that it picks up exhaust valve heat..but does not indicate an average temp.
The outlet temp at the stat housing is a combined average temp that you you should be targeting.
If your ir gun could actually measure cyl head temp below the surface..you would be reading 600*f at idle rpm near an exhaust valve.

George
68 Camaro
8-71 blown 461 Rat on E-85
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 10, 11:31 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

The accruacy of IR guns depends very much in the surface u are shooting at...
eg a polished surface dont even bother...differnt types and colours of surfaces will also alter from the real temp....and that to what George says above
Quote:
I think this ir gun is like a wild goose chase.
Bottom line .....unless you know how to use one and the quirks of outside temp at different places of an engine you are on "a wild goose chase"

When the missus isnt home...Take the sensor out....get the electric jug with cold water, connect the temp gauge wire up to the sensor, a ground to the body...get a thermometer to measure the temp of the water, turn the ign on and plug the kettle in...
Compare the thermometer with what is on the gauge.
You will then know if your gauge reads correct, and if not know what reading is correct.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 10, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

i adjusted timing to 38 all in total with vacuum unhooked.with vacuum hooked up it has about 52 all in at 3000 rpms. oh yea this 402 is bored out to a 408 which is a 30 over 402.the Holley is a 750 duel line single pumper.when going down road at 65 it reads 200 all the time.it has never boiled over i would say with 99% certainty its running at what the mechanical gauge says.its in the intake.it has a 3 cog gilmer belt drive on it.i even switched it back to pulleys still no change.a guy that runs on round track said to run a copper line from each side of block where the water jackets are up to the water pump & drill & tap water pump & this will make it run cooler.this sounds like it may work but i hate to chance it if its going to mess up my motor.i have had people tell me to run a 20 pound rad cap which i cant see as helping problem.i have put water wetter in radiator it was running 225 before i put it in.maybe its just has to run at 210-215.i like it to run at a lower temp it would put my mind at rest.i always have in my head when at a 4-5 minute stop light & i see the temp gauge rising up 5 degrees that we are going to be sitting on side of road with car boiling over.I'm running the water wetter & prestone 50/50 mix.there's nothing worse tan being 250-300 miles from home & your car starts to overheat.been there & done that.i really appreciate all you guys help.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 10, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony hisle View Post
a guy that runs on round track said to run a copper line from each side of block where the water jackets are up to the water pump & drill & tap water pump & this will make it run cooler.this sounds like it may work but i hate to chance it if its going to mess up my motor.i have had people tell me to run a 20 pound rad cap which i cant see as helping problem. i really appreciate all you guys help.
Most have modified the intake, blank off the front ports, then drill & tap the rear ports, and connect hoses to bring the coolant up front from the rear of the engine.

I have found water wetter does not work with 50/50 coolant, only with water.

Twenty pound cap adds to increasing the boiling point and not a bad idea since temps are higher, I run a 22 lb cap on my'88 454 Dually, runs around 230F-240F. Stop the engine and it heat soaks, then you could hear the coolant boil - not now. - but I am waiting for the original heater core to explode.............

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 10, 08:57 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steiner View Post
You can get a Chinese infrared temp gun off ebay for just a few bucks or maybe even get a free rental from a local parts store and verify your gauge by shooting different parts of the block and heads. That's how I found out the ECT probe in my intake was accurate but the mechanical probe in my head was high by 10-15 degrees at least compared to surface temps.
I just picked one up at Harbor Freight. It's on sale now for $39.99. Don't forget to use your 20% off coupon that can be found in any HotRod issue...

Matt

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 10, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

And temp guns only indicate the surface temp of anything it is aimed upon, not the medium inside.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode