piecing together an A/C system - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 10, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ashlee and Andy

piecing together an A/C system

Okay, here's the deal, I'm installing a motor for a customer at work, the new motor that's going in, came out of a car, along with the A/C compressor, hoses, Condenser, water control valve and drier (yes, I will replace it) I've already found an evaporator core and new expansion valve for a reasonable price (under $60 for both)

Yes, I know I have to modify my heater box, or build/buy a new one, I'm not worried about that, my question is do I need a low pressure switch or not? the compressor has a high pressure switch attatched to it, but the drier doesn't have any signs of a low switch, just a place to install one, but no wiring was running that direction at all.

I'm figuring controlling the clutch lock-up could come from the HVAC controls that are already in place (add a switch to the "cold" side of the heater controls?) and it shouldn't be hard at all to add a vacuum control for the water valve.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 10, 10:24 PM
Senior Tech
John

Re: piecing together an A/C system

I'm not sure where to start on this one...What year and model of car? If its a Camaro, what is left of the original system? Doesnt sound like much if your pulling in new and used parts from other cars.

And you say you know how to modify the heater box? There aint no Evap coil going inside a Camaro heater box. Good luck on that mod.

No, you dont need a low pressure switch. Theres a low temp switch on 69 Camaro A/C boxes that will cycle the compressor off if the system gets to cold, that keeps the evap from freezing up which could harm the compressor. On 69s theres no place for a switch on the accumulator/drier. If you have a regular A/C controller in the car then you wont need to add a switch to the cold side of the heater controls.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 10, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ashlee and Andy

let me clarify, I have a non-A/C car. never had it from the factory, never retrofited to it.

the A/C parts I have are from a mid seventies caprice. How is it that I'm missing "quite a bit" of the system when I'm only down an evaporator core and expansion valve? my question was if I needed the low pressure switch, does it do the same job a temp switch does, do I need one and not the other or what?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 10, 05:19 PM
Senior Tech
Gary

Does this system have an expansion valve or orifice tube? Mid seventies GM was changing to orifice tubes from VIR systems. So it could be either. When they first started using orifice tubes, they cycled the compressor by temperature. They changed to pressure cycling later. The low pressure switch is only for protection from a sudden loss of refrigerant. You need the switch but depending on if it cycles on temp or pressure. Long story short, just make sure the compressor is protected from a refrigerant loss. Gary

69 rs/ss 350 "vert" air tilt windows
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 10, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ashlee and Andy

the system definitely had an orifice tube in the evaporator core. the car had a bad evaporator, so the A/C never got fixed (common sight to see around these parts with the seventies and eighties cars)

Of course being at work, and doing what the customer wanted, I only pulled the easy to get stuff (didn't grab the heater controls, or anything of the like) like the major components, brackets, and wiring pig-tails after I asked about it all. The boss doesn't mind if I get things quickly now if I took my sweet time and got heater box and all I might have gotten a talkin to.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 10, 06:09 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Post Re: piecing together an A/C system

AP68, if you are trying to convert a non AC car to AC using factory stuff, you will have alot of work ahead of you. Like Parbrau said, the firewall cutouts are different and thats just the beginning. Not saying its impossible but you will probably be pulling your hair out sometime during the install trying to figure it out. One option you should (or your customer) consider is adding an aftermarket system like one from Vintage Air. They sell conversions to install AC into non Ac cars. They are easy to install, just time consuming. Some of our site sponsors sell them at a great price and you can get great tech support from them.

Chris
1968 Camaro SS coupe, Lemans Blue/medium blue interior
LS3/T56 Ridetech Suspension
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 10, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ashlee and Andy

yeah but at well over a grand I don't see the point in going that route, yes, to most people it'd be worth the money, but to me it isn't. I plan on waiting a few months until winter when my car isn't my daily driver so I can rip the fender off and take the heater box out to modify it.

I like a good deal and let's face it I' looking at having under a hundred bucks into an a/c system, if it makes me pull my hair out, so be it. I'm getting tired of having extra thick hair.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 10, 09:49 AM
Senior Tech
John

What car is this going into?

Beat it to Fit, Paint it to Match!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 10, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ashlee and Andy

68 camaro
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 10, 04:15 PM
Senior Tech
Frank

I have a complete small block factory A/C system we pulled out of a car that was blowing when we removed it. $600 for everything.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 10, 04:44 AM
Senior Tech
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyCustoms View Post
I have a complete small block factory A/C system we pulled out of a car that was blowing when we removed it. $600 for everything.
Now thats a deal. Will it fit his non air car?
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 10, 08:05 AM
Senior Tech
Frank

He will just have to re cut the firewall, not a big deal at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode