Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 10, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dan

Water Temp when a/c is on?

I have a vintage air setup.
I have a 180 degree thermostat
Flex-a-lite Alum radiator and 3000 cfm electric fan with shroud setup to turn on at 195.

When I don't have the a/c on, the car runs right at or near 180

When I run the a/c and am driving on the highway, the temp floats between 195 and 205. The fan probably turns on and brings it down a bit.

It doesn't climb over 205...I was on the road yesterday for about 90 mins and it stayed in that range with the a/c on the whole time.

Temp readings are correct...I have a mechanical gauge as a backup.

When you run your car with the A/C on, what temp do you run at?

Dan

1968 RS - Black
408 w/ Muncie 4 speed & 12 bolt rear
Deluxe Houndstooth Interior
Dropped 2" with TeamIII Mini-Lites

Click for Picture:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 10, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dan

Re: Water Temp when a/c is on?

bump....with it being as hot as it's been lately, someone's got to be running their A/C.

Dan

1968 RS - Black

Click for Picture:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 10, 05:38 PM
Senior Tech
Andy

Send a message via AIM to 67SS&99SS

I'm curious to know as well. I am about to add vintage air to my 67.

1967 Camaro SS: 406 sbc, 522hp/514 ft lbs, Doug's 1 3/4" headers, M20, posi, 3.73's, vintage air gen IV, IROC steering box, Comp Eng. weld-in sfc's & traction bars, chrome US Mags

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 10, 01:07 AM
Senior Tech
Steps

A lot depends on the 'go gear' in the engine and final ratios

Something that is cruising down the highway, bottom basic stock cam, small carb, etc at about 2500 rpms stall convertor well hooked ...this engine is running well in its effective effiency range, and handles small loads quite easy

And engine that is effecient say 3500 to 6500 rpms, is running out side its effective running rpms....runs more ineffient...caming is out, breathing, carburation etc....then load some more load on the engine, it runs warmer...and far less economical to.

Taking 1 step further...runs around town nice 185 190...doesnt ever move above that
let it idle at say 1000 rpms..will idle all day
Idle at 800 and it starts getting a bit warm after a while...2 reasons
1/ engine is outside its go component range
2/ far less water thru the radiator..but enough.

Basically, even a real hot day with a cooling system in good condition ..no extra loads...the car will run at most 5 or 6 degrees hotter over a frosty morning.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 10, 06:10 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
A lot depends on the 'go gear' in the engine and final ratios

Something that is cruising down the highway, bottom basic stock cam, small carb, etc at about 2500 rpms stall convertor well hooked ...this engine is running well in its effective effiency range, and handles small loads quite easy

And engine that is effecient say 3500 to 6500 rpms, is running out side its effective running rpms....runs more ineffient...caming is out, breathing, carburation etc....then load some more load on the engine, it runs warmer...and far less economical to.

Taking 1 step further...runs around town nice 185 190...doesnt ever move above that
let it idle at say 1000 rpms..will idle all day
Idle at 800 and it starts getting a bit warm after a while...2 reasons
1/ engine is outside its go component range
2/ far less water thru the radiator..but enough.

Basically, even a real hot day with a cooling system in good condition ..no extra loads...the car will run at most 5 or 6 degrees hotter over a frosty morning.
Good points, Steps.

Was curious what a frosty (gloaming) morning is to you fellers way down under?

capt
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 10, 06:29 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dan

Good points. I did find that while running in town and on the highway around 60mph, temps were in the 180 range.

But when cruising at 75 or 80, it was climbing to 205...but never got higher.

I should get my car in for a carb tuning. Maybe I'm running lean at part throttle cruising. I know my carb isn't right. Smells rich when I step on it hard.

Dan

1968 RS - Black

Click for Picture:

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 10, 01:29 PM
Tech Team

I wish I could get mine to run 205. In traffic it just keeps going up. It will get so hot that when you turn it off the gas will boil in the carb. You can hear it. I am working now on the fan and clutch etc to see if I can solve the issues, but so far .....nothing has helped.

396 RS SS RED 1968 Just like when I was 18 only 10 times the price
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 10, 01:52 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Think of it this way....the a/c is quite a load when the engine is not producing a lot of HP
And so it driving around with the E brake 1/2 on...

Quote:
Was curious what a frosty (gloaming) morning is to you fellers way down under?
Well get a couple heavy frosts max -3 C maybe 20 frosts thru the whole winter

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 10, 06:54 AM
Senior Tech
Ray

I was told that water temp will be 20-30 degress higher with A/C on vs off here in Austin, TX and that is about right on my Pontiac 400.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 10, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dan

Do A/C cars tend to run a cooler thermostat than a non-a/c car?

I thought that a 160degree was a bit too cool for modern oils...always heard that oil temp should be over 180 for best flow.

Dan

1968 RS - Black

Click for Picture:

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 10, 01:55 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
I wish I could get mine to run 205. In traffic it just keeps going up.
That is a different situation all together...
At real low /idle rpms look inside the radiator....notice stuff all or cant see the water flowing...now take rpms up a little more and the water flow increases.

How many times do people have to repeat posting about thermostats and there function, and differences /specs even if the same temp....?
There must be adoz threads just in the last couple weeks explaining.

Got out of bed the wrong side this morning...my give up smoking patch fell of in the middle of the night.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode