Pulley info and help needed - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 10, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Pulley info and help needed

I have searched but can not find the answers to this. I am installing a short water pump on my Big Block 68 Camaro. I ordered those cheap chrome pulleys that are all over the internet, because I can not find the right short pump pulleys. They will not work. They are too large in diameter and touch in the center. Where can I get real steel pulleys that work and are not a million dollars. Any ideas? Thanks Mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
396 RS SS RED 1968 Just like when I was 18 only 10 times the price
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 10, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Re: Pulley info and help needed

Can I use Small Block pulleys on a Big Block?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 10, 08:48 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harvard

http://www.camaros.org/pdf/pulleys-68-2007-02-01.pdf

Can you cross reference any of these numbers? I know some of these are repro'd.

1968 Z28 British Green, all original except CE 302 engine. Have original owners booklet and protect-o-plate.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 10, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I do not know how to find anything on the part numbers but I will work on it. I have found some pulleys but the problem is I do not know what diameter they should be and since the chrome repop ones touch each other, I am worried about buying more until I know what I really need. THANKS for any help. Mark

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 10, 11:34 AM
Senior Tech
Jimmy

I went thru the same problems with my bb short water pump setup and probably have 3 different sets that won't work. I ended up buying a 3 groove crank pulley on ebay and I believe it was a march aluminum pulley for a good price. Water pump pulley I did the same thing and got one cheap. Just try searching bb short water pump or crank pulley and see what comes up.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 10, 05:28 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
cb

Send a message via Yahoo to flyingskibiker

I orginally (when I purchased car in '83) had chrome underdrive pulleys on my car. Since I had overheating problems, I bought new "standard" chrome pulleys. They fit fine. But slip like heck. Tried belt-eze and other fixes. No luck. That was when I was into chrome.

Now, I did the research and picked up "stock" pulleys. CRG has a couple spreadsheets listing the applications and part numbers. I believe the diameters are there, as well.

I bought some originals off of eBay and craigslist. But that is while I was still learning things. Turns out I have some pulleys that aren't really correct for my engine, now. The final set (and most expensive) is the cast 3 groove crank, cast PS, steel 2 groove water pump, and steel alt. pulleys. All are deep grove. They are for 396/375 engines. They should work fine on my 427/425. I, too, did searches and many others are running my set-up (makes sense since it's original)...

I do have a few original and aftermarket pulleys for sale, if you are interested. They are:

PS pump pulley for a '68 BB Camaro. Used original GM. PN: 3925537 DC. Camaro Research Group says it is for a '68 L34 or L35 with and without smog. The L78 used the cast pulley, not this one. But it would work on that engine, too. It is not a "deep groove" pulley. Good, used condition. Single groove 5.7" diameter.

Crank extension pulley for power steering on a '67 BB Camaro. Used original GM. PN: 3874416 BR. Camaro Research Group says it is for a '67 L35 without smog. This pulley is used in addition to the crank pulley to add power steering to a big block engine. Good, used condition. Single groove.

Water pump pulley for a '68 high performance BB Camaro. New, never used reproduction. PN: 3906656 CV. Camaro Research Group says it is for a '67 L35 with smog and a '68 L78 or L89 (w/ smog). It should work on all big block Camaros. It is a "deep groove" pulley. Perfect condition. Two groove 7.1" diameter.

Power steering pulley 3860457 CV. According to CRG, the pulley is used on a '67 L35 w/o smog and '67-8 LF7 and L30. The pulley goes for about $35 on eBay (starting bid). It is in decent shape. I have never used it. Pulled it off a pump I used as a core exchange.

I also have an original PS pump cradle bracket for sale.

'68 SS Camaro w/ a '66 427/425 28 year project and counting!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode