getting hot on highway - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 10, 05:15 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

getting hot on highway

hey guys i have a 355sbc with m21 muncie and a 4.10 rear end.

it runs 180-190 all day long in the city and at idle it never gets above 190.

but after 5 minutes on the highway doing 70-80mph (3600-3800rpm) it creeps up to 230 and will go from 220-230 depending on my speed.

i have stock radiator with stock shroud with edelbrock high flow pump and NO thermostat; do you think it's time for an aluminum radiator? would that solve my highway issues?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 10, 05:51 AM
Banned
Alan

Re: getting hot on highway

I'm no expert but I have heard somtimes they run cooler with a thermostat because of pressure vs flow.....its a cheap try...Is it a 4 core radiator?....that gear is'nt helping though.
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 10, 08:34 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

What kind of fan are you running? Most flex type fans will flatten out at higher rpm and block air flow. Your symptoms sound like this could be the case...

You really should run a t-stat, if your cooling system is up to snuff it will regulate the coolant temps and keep your engine at a more consistent temp. It will also insure your engine gets up to operating temp quicker...

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 10, 10:49 AM
Senior Tech
TJ

You need to put the thermostat in, im almost willing to bet that will fix it.

What happens is with your higher engine speed the coolant is flowing at a faster rate thru the radiator and not having time to cool down any, but at idle the coolant is circulating slow enough to lower the temp as it passes thru the radiator.
TJ
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 10, 03:07 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

If is not the fan or shroud..on the highway there is far more air than any fan can supply...hell it will run without them fine.
Quote:
high flow pump and NO thermostat;
The issue is not so much no thermstat but rather lacking the measured restriction of the thermostat hole... do not get any old 180 from the spares shop, get the std GM speced on or the GM high flow speced for your engine.
Rates of opening , how much opens, the diam of the hole all vary as to the application they are for.
You have classic symtoms of no thermostat.

The other issue could be the bottom hose re enforcing ring inside has corroded and collapsed, which causes the bottom hose to suck in and partly restrict the coolant...good possibilty considering your final ratios.. highway cruise rpms.

The other issue could be the radiator need cleaning...not flushing, but cores manually cleaned..

Quote:
do you think it's time for an aluminum radiator?
Nope just routine maintance and set up like the factory intended....
The factory cooling system back then was WAY WAY over built for the application...hence why they run for yrs cores blocked up with no issues...till they get really blocked up.
you can spend a lot of money getting a Al radiator install etc, or get yours serviced at a fraction of the cost...its your money.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 10, 04:08 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Is your stock radiator 2 or 3 core? If it's 2 core and hasn't been cleaned out in a while, it could be your problem.

Not to argue with others here, but I ran without a thermostat for many years in my moderately built 355 (11:1 compression with 5.xx gearing) and never ever had a hint of an overheating problem, but it's the cheapest thing to try so I would go for it first. Next I would suggest you might be running lean on your jetting which would show up in the RPM range you are talking perhaps. Next I wouild go after the radiator if you still have problems. Flush it good first (cheap) and if that doesn't work and you end up buying a radiator get an Aluminum one.

69 Pace Car and 69 Hard top
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 10, 04:52 PM
Banned
Alan

Don't they even make washers that will restrict flow for radiators for this issue also?
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 10, 04:57 PM
Tech Team

yea i dont believe it's the no thermostat issue.

if its a stock rad; i think it may be getting old.

Last edited by 12bolt; Sep 13th, 10 at 07:03 PM.
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 10, 05:46 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28kid View Post
You need to put the thermostat in, im almost willing to bet that will fix it.

What happens is with your higher engine speed the coolant is flowing at a faster rate thru the radiator and not having time to cool down any, but at idle the coolant is circulating slow enough to lower the temp as it passes thru the radiator.
TJ
The device that removes the heat from your engine is a radiator, not a water cooler. You want the radiator to be as hot as you can get it to remove as much heat as possible, which means pumping as much mass through the radiator as possible. Any lowering of the outlet temperature will be accompanied by a raising of the inlet temperature in order to maintain the average radiator temperature required for heat balance.
The same physics applies to the air side, you want to pump as much cool air as possible through the radiator in order to maintain the highest temperature difference between the hot radiator and the cooling air.

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM ...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
Semper Fi! L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft, B Co 3rd AT's, Khe Sanh Combat Base, February, 1968
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 10, 06:13 PM
Tech Team

bingo your exactly right onovakind67. engineering heat transfer
post #11 of 54 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 10, 09:26 PM
Senior Tech
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by onovakind67 View Post
The device that removes the heat from your engine is a radiator, not a water cooler. You want the radiator to be as hot as you can get it to remove as much heat as possible, which means pumping as much mass through the radiator as possible. Any lowering of the outlet temperature will be accompanied by a raising of the inlet temperature in order to maintain the average radiator temperature required for heat balance.
The same physics applies to the air side, you want to pump as much cool air as possible through the radiator in order to maintain the highest temperature difference between the hot radiator and the cooling air.
Without a restriction slowing his coolant the cooling system is just a heat pump, if what your saying were true we wouldnt have any use for big multi core alum. radiators or the nice edelbrock water pumps.
Its plain and simple that without his coolant taking the time to transfer some of the heat when passing thru the radiator the system will not work properly.
TJ
post #12 of 54 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 10, 11:18 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

OH crap here we go again....never mind lol A thermosta is only a couple bucks he may as give it a go right?

Quote:
Don't they even make washers that will restrict flow for radiators for this issue also?
I dont know, but Smokey Yunick did a lot of work on his dynos and on the track didnt run a thermostat, but did run a resticter than was not much different than the flow of a thermostat
And I had issue yrs ago well before internet....and it was not till reading yunick, I tried it...gess what?......I have never had an issue of heating in that time other than 1 water pump died and a few fan belts and hoses.
When the water goe thru too fast it comes out the other side warmer, therefore to pull the same amount of energy out of the motor it has still got to increase the same amount of degrees.

But hey a thermostat is cheap, 10 mins to install..what the hell.?

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #13 of 54 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 10, 11:48 PM
Banned
Alan

51105 - JEGS Water Restrictors

JEGS #555-51105

Water Restrictor Discs3/pkg

$7.99 Ships Today

Share |

Allows you to control the rate of heat absorption from the engine block and heat dissipation from the radiator in Race Only Applications. Used by professional engine builders to obtain optimal temperature control and maximum power. Kit contains 3 anodized discs with an I.D. of 5/8'', 3/4'' and 1''. Color coded for easy identification. Fits most AMC, Ford & GM V6, V8 engines with a 2-1/8'' O.D. thermostat.

post #14 of 54 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 10, 11:50 PM
Banned
Alan

63440 - Moroso Water Outlet Restrictor Kit

Moroso #710-63440
Water Outlet Restrictor Kit, Chevy V8 and V6, Ford 260-302, 351W

$6.99 Ships Today

* Similar Items

* Add to Wish List
* Continue Shopping

Share |

The Moroso water outlet restrictor kit allows you to control the coolant flow leaving the engine. This lets you control the amount of heat that is absorbed by the coolant. The kit consists of three plates with 5/8'', 3/4'', and 1'' holes for optimum flow. All have a 2-1/8'' outside diameter and come in red, blue, and gold anodizedaluminu
post #15 of 54 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 10, 11:51 PM
Banned
Alan

8229 - Weiand Water Flow Restrictors

Weiand #925-8229
Water Flow Restrictors

$12.99 Ships Today

* Similar Items

* Add to Wish List
* Continue Shopping

Installation Instructions for 8229 - Weiand Water Flow Restrictors

Share |

Mounts under water neck on the intake manifold to restrict water flow for improved heat dissipation and cooling. Includes three plates (5/8'', 3/4'', 1''). Fits GM V8, V6 & SB-Fords.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode