What radiator/fan setup is best - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 10, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Joe

What radiator/fan setup is best

Have a '68 Camaro 350 4 speed, non air...puts out around 300-330HP. Planning to install a Vintage Air Gen IV this winter. Want to replace the 4 blade fan & harrison orig style radiator. Runs around 185 deg. on highway, but gets to 210 in traffic. Whats the best radiator fan combo to use? Looked at be cool and griffin's, & electic fans vs flex. Read lots of threads, but unclear what's the best alternative. Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 10, 11:45 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Re: What radiator/fan setup is best

Hard to beat the factory 7 blade/clutch/shroud setup with an aluminum or brass radiator of sufficient capacity. Most who post here with cooling problems have electric fans.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 10, 03:23 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
Want to replace the 4 blade fan & harrison orig style radiator. Runs around 185 deg. on highway, but gets to 210 in traffic.
you will find if you replace the hoses , espc the bottom, preferbly pull the header tanks of, manually clean...or at least give a damn good pressure back flush , out of the car all you run hot issues will go.
Check the clutch unit on the fan is not wobbly, worn bearings..if so replace, that can be the cause of low spped running hot
But do not confuse round town hot with moving. espec on highway, then a set of lights, the temp goes up, then while sitting fast ilde (or when you take off) the temp drops.
If u take the cap off at idle it is even hard to see the water go thru, add a few rpms and it hits the side of the header tank full on.
Whats the best radiator fan combo to use?
Stock std factory...

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 10, 07:01 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
robert

Alumitech makes a radiator that looks like stock but is aluminuim . worked great on my 67 I changed from 21 inch to a 23 inch air condition radiator. from alumitech fixed the problem
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 10, 03:49 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesauer View Post
Runs around 185 deg. on highway, but gets to 210 in traffic..
Obviously the radiator size is not an issue at all. You just need more airflow through it while stationary.
OE 7 blade clutch fan will move more air than any other option and was standard on all air-con cars.. Make sure you use the shroud.
Once you have installed your a/c and have it up & running, see if you need to increase your rad's capacity then. You may not need to.

Nov 68 Van Nuys. 327 floor-shift-auto, Frost Green and not much else when new.

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 10, 04:38 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

As was said, I would use the stock 7 blade fan and clutch to increase air flow with a factory style shroud. If that doesn't work clean out the radiator or upgrade to a 23 inch alumunium - but if you do the 23 inch radiator you need to get a shroud for an AC car to get the full benefit at idle / in traffic as the one you have now will leave 2 inches uncovered / out of the pull from the fan. Factory AC radiator on your 68 was the 23 inch 3 core, and you can still get the shroud from GM Parts Direct. Might want to check timing as well before springing for a radiator, are you running vac advance? I went with Alumitech due to the factory appearance and I have heard nothing but good about them. If you order from them, have him weld on the tabs for the lower shroud mount.

69 Pace Car and 69 Hard top
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 10, 04:40 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

I have a 69 with Vintage air stock rad. I went to an elec fan and it ran hotter than with the flex fan. I went back to a 7 blade steel fan with flex-lite clutch works great in south Mississippi heat.

69 SS Silver Camro, LS3 efi, 4L60e with 2800 stall, mini tubed 12bolt 3.73, Ridetech front suspension ladder bar rear.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 10, 08:11 AM
Senior Tech
Jeremie

If your car is cooling properly when you are driving and heats up when you are sitting still then you have an air flow problem. I reserched everywhere untill I fixed my problem. You are not getting enough air when you are sitting still probably because of your fan placement. You can prove this theory by leaving the car running and open the hood, get a leaf blower and just blow away. I think you will find that that your temp will go down to normal running temp. If your car stays cool then that means your fan is not pulling enough air. Make ajustment to where fan is half in and half out of shroud and I think it will be fixed. If you want to do Ac the best setup I have seen is to buy alluminator becool radiator Part number 12009 for 399.00. It is factory ac size radiator and the holes are already in your core support, you will just need to drill them. u can use ur small block fan shroud by bolting it on top just like normal and running a piece of alluminum on the bottom of radiator. drill two holes in shroud and zip tie or some other fastener. I picked the brain of a guy who did the same thing and it has worked very good for him.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 10, 02:04 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
orig style radiator. Runs around 185 deg. on highway, but gets to 210 in traffic.
It is as mentioned above air flow
fan not sitting in shroud correct AND/OR the radiator needs a good clean out, or radiator cap is faulty, and/or the thermostat is faulty.
All very cheap fixes before sluging out on a new radiator, which if the above is not working correct it will still idle warm.

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 10, 05:43 PM
Banned
Bethanne

Checkout this radiator that another member bought and was thrilled with.

And it's less than half the price of the alumitechs.

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...or#post1464946
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 10, 10:57 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPOS View Post
Hard to beat the factory 7 blade/clutch/shroud setup with an aluminum or brass radiator of sufficient capacity. Most who post here with cooling problems have electric fans.
I beg to differ, I have the complete Be Cool set up in my car (aluminum radiator with twin electric puller fans) with a 383 stroker pushing upwards of 500hp and couldn't be happier with its performance. cruizin, highway or traffic makes no difference, i have had no issues what so ever. The hottest i have ever seen my car get is 196 and that was on 105 degree day sitting in traffic.

Steve
67 Camaro RS
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 10, 12:23 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by class67 View Post
I beg to differ, I have the complete Be Cool set up in my car (aluminum radiator with twin electric puller fans) with a 383 stroker pushing upwards of 500hp and couldn't be happier with its performance. cruizin, highway or traffic makes no difference, i have had no issues what so ever. The hottest i have ever seen my car get is 196 and that was on 105 degree day sitting in traffic.
There are loads of examples just like yours with the OE 7 blade clutch fan & shroud (including mine). Perhaps you have a good set up also.
However, the stock parts work so well I am often very surprised that they were replaced or overlooked with aftermarket parts that are as good at best.

Nov 68 Van Nuys. 327 floor-shift-auto, Frost Green and not much else when new.

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 10, 07:58 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

The stock set up might work as well as an after market set-up but IMO, it does not look as clean. I personally like the clean look of not having fan blades and clutch, shroud etc...

Clean and simple is the way i like it! call me crazy...

Steve
67 Camaro RS
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 10, 12:59 PM
Senior Tech
Michael

With the stock fan and shroud, that's all you need.

With the $$$ dual fan BeCool setup you'll need a bigger alternator, relays and beefed up wiring to handle the load. By the way, what did that setup cost (rad, fans, alt, relays, wiring)?

As for the "way" it looks, what's more simpler than a fan and shroud? Doesn't the BeCool dual fan setup actually have 2 fans and shrouding to duct the airflow?

Save your money and go with the factory setup.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 10, 01:49 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

For several yrs now I have been poo pooed about the stock set up being so bloody over built.
I bet I am the only one here that has actually pulled the heads off an old radiator and cleaned it out manually.....and it seems in the US you guys dont have the ppl with the skills to do so.....
New radiator...heaps...clean out (get done) About $US50

It is quite amazing the number of guys who for what ever reason have stock with the stock set up ..in good nick and now swear by it...rather than messaround with electic fan wiring, fitting so called super duper Al radiators , then have issues cause they still have to 'tune' the new system in etc
Now Im not saying a flash big name brand radiator backed up with marketting propaganda Joesph Gobbells would be proud of doesnt work...they do
Why change something that has worked for over 50 or 60 yrs, has a proven track record, just to be able to have bragging rights, waste money...and in many cases , havnt fixed the problem, just over compensated and patched it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode