Radiator leak?? - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 10, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dan

Radiator leak??

My current setup in my 69 camaro is an aluminum radiator with electric fan and a catch can attached to the fan shroud. I have the overflow hose coming from the neck down and it zig zags to the catch can. My radiator is leaking coolant out of the cap when the coolant heats up. I replaced the cap, another 16 lb cap, and it still leaks. Anybody have any ideas why coolant leaks out from the cap when I have a catch can?

I know I could just let is spit out what it doesn't need and it will eventually run at that level but I would like to know why this is happening.

Thanks in adavance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 10, 04:38 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

Re: Radiator leak??

Does your catch can have a breather hole to allow the expelled water to displace the air in the catch can? (Can you blow through the overflow hose into the catch can without resistance?)
I assume you have checked your zig-zagging hose for kinks..

One option, although you shouldn't have to, is to use a recovery type cap. The upper seal of these caps will prevent expelled water spilling from under the cap providing the water is able to flow through the overflow hose into the catch can.

Nov 68 Van Nuys. 327 floor-shift-auto, Frost Green and not much else when new.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 10, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dan

No, there is no breather hole. The hose isn't kinked. Good point on the breather hole. I could always make one and see if that helps. I might try to reconfigure the inlet on the tank so I can just run the hose right down into the tank rather than zig zag back and forth.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 10, 04:11 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

The raditaor if over filled will spue out coolant till it reaches the correct fill level on marked on the side.
A catch can is there because of scrutineering requirement at tracks fo doest spliil on the track creating dangerous conditions...
In some places it is now manditory to have on the road because of enviromental issue with thr glycol.
If you want to convert...I tryed a few yrs back and didnt work as meant to...did bother to find out why......a modern presure system where the raditor is full all the time, the access hot goes to a resorver (not a catch can) then when cools down gets sucked back in you need a special radiator cap, AND I think a special type of neck on the radiator.
Just fill the radiator up to the factory marks on the side of the radiator..there are 2 one "hot" the other "cold"..
Or fill it right up, catch the ecess in the catch can, mt the catch can....dont top up the radiator
problem solved

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode