No air flow out of vents - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 10, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Tommie

No air flow out of vents

On my newly aquired 68, the venting system is not working. The blower motor works fine but no air flow out the vents, defroster or floor. There is a bit of air exiting, however slight, from the floor area but thats it. With the speed set to high, there is a bit of back draft on the vents themselves, as indicated by a lighter placed in front of them.

I'm assuming the kicker panels are for re-circ as there is alot of "vacuum" coming from there. It will almost suck them shut on high speed. The complete system looks to be new. The levers seem to move the flaps but I don't know if its moving enough.

Its almost as if the blower is in reverse, if that makes any sense.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Tommie

Last edited by tmax68; Sep 22nd, 10 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Added stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 10, 09:25 PM
Senior Tech
Dale

Re: No air flow out vents

Does the car have factory AC? if so the blower wires could be on backwards, and not short out.
Does the blower sound like it changes speed when going high to low speed.

68 Dana 302, 68 rs 327 daily driver/family car, 71 rs, track car/ driver, 68 firebird 400, 70 formula 400, 73 type LT, 98 TA, 2 goofy kids and an incredible wife.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 10, 09:37 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

I dont know if the heater box is the same or siilar tothe the 69...
If a 69 I would say that ewhen the 2 flaps inside where put in they where put in in the wrong seqence...
1st time I did it had me scratching my head hard till decided to remove and start from scratch...
The 2nd time yrs later, the moment I realised wasnt working right... i remembered...
Blamed it on the ma in law, she wasnt around so was safe...
She is a good stick really, just dont tell her that lol

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 10, 03:43 AM Thread Starter
Tommie

No factory air. I have checked outside on the motor and black is grounded, red/orange goes to speed control. The fan works on all 3 speeds. Its real puzzling. Everything is new, wiring, motor, heater assembly, cables, etc. Hmmmmm.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 10, 03:06 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Re: No air flow out of vents

And havnt checked the flaps in the heater box?

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 10, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Tommie

There is no air coming out anywhere, that I can locate. Do the flaps actually stop all airflow or just direct it? Just wondering, is it possible for the fan to be wired backwards?

The two flaps/doors that are operated by the cables move. Really dont know if its enough but there should be SOME air somewhere?
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 10, 09:56 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Larry

It is pretty common for the defroster lever to break on the 68 heater control, have you checked that? The vents in the kick panels only let in outside air (or shut it off) as do the round vents on the lower right and left. I doubt you could make the fan run backwards.

68 RS Coupe 355/350 TH, Detroit Speed, Hotchkis, Vintage Air, 8.5" 3.42 posi 10-bolt, MagnaFlow 2 1/2" exhaust, etc.

"The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men."
Samuel Adams
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 10, 10:01 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Follow instructions... pull the damn heater box Out...you will see the flaps
they have to go in the right in the right order..If not you may get a little air flow out if the levers are in a given combination, all the rest you could F faster.

Quote:
The two flaps/doors that are operated by the cables move. Really dont know if its enough
So you think the cables should move further and dont..
Its the bloody flaps put in the wrong order... not the cables.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 10, 10:10 PM
Senior Tech
Dale

It doesnt have ac so the blower wires cannot be on wrong, if they were, the fuse would blow.

68 Dana 302, 68 rs 327 daily driver/family car, 71 rs, track car/ driver, 68 firebird 400, 70 formula 400, 73 type LT, 98 TA, 2 goofy kids and an incredible wife.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 10, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Tommie

I took everything possble out from underneath the dash to get a better view of the heater assembly. Everything as it's supposed to be, cables/doors were fully functional.

Then I took the ground off the blower motor and disconnected the power lead and swapped them. Fixed the problem.

Air now flows quite nicely... as it should.

Thanks for all the ideas and help!
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 10, 11:27 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
Then I took the ground off the blower motor and disconnected the power lead and swapped them. Fixed the problem.
You are saying you had the power to ground and ground to the power on the fan????
If that was the case, turn the fan on and the fuse will blow!!!
So that means you had no flow because of connctions wrong way, (and they are diff sized connection. banetts..1 fits the other doesnt) and a blown fuse....????
Something weird there.

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 10, 05:17 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

It may be an aftermarket motor wired wrong internally if swapping wires made it work.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 10, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
Tommie

The whole package / heater assembly is aftermarket (new). The blower motor had 2 wires out the back side and being a DC motor, I checked both leads to verify 1 lead or the other was not internally grounded. Being okay there, I reversed the polarity to reverse the motor's direction. Bingo. With that being done, the only thing I could figure out is the wires got crossed during the manufacturing process... or the person was color blind?
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 10, 08:26 PM
Senior Tech
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmax68 View Post
The whole package / heater assembly is aftermarket (new)
Ok now that makes sense. It was bad to assume it was a stock system. But who would have known it was aftermarket?

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 10, 03:10 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

It would have been nice, IF he said that in the first place, but I guess it is more fun to sens everyone on a guessing game.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode