factory center a/c vent 1967 Camaro w/Vintage Air? - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 10, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Andy

Send a message via AIM to 67SS&99SS
factory center a/c vent 1967 Camaro w/Vintage Air?

I just ordered a Vintage Air kit and I have question for those of you that have vintage air that have installed the center vent. How did you do it? I thought the vent would be assembled but the vent just slides into two slots in the housing and there is nothing to keep it there.

The adapter that came with the kit has no spacers or shims to keep it place. I got my 67 Camaro assembly manual out and it found a diagram of a factory air assembly and it mentioned using spacers.

I guess I'm going to have to fabricate some?

1967 Camaro SS: 406 sbc, 522hp/514 ft lbs, Doug's 1 3/4" headers, M20, posi, 3.73's, vintage air gen IV, IROC steering box, Comp Eng. weld-in sfc's & traction bars, chrome US Mags

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 10, 05:58 PM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

Re: factory center a/c vent 1967 Camaro w/Vintage Air?

Pretty sure that #4 part is also needed. I have not installed mine yet so I can't say for sure. One thing I can say is the after getting vintage air (older cable system) thier engineering is not that great, and I thought the instructioned sucked. which leads me to belive what they sold for this set up to work might not be up to par and has crapy instructions.

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 10, 06:50 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Garage

I got so frustrated I just centered it an used epoxy to hold it in the full open position. The felt spacers drove me nuts.

Steve
The best laid plans are those not made (mine)

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 10, 05:47 AM
Senior Tech
Michael

If you buy/obtain a new center AC vent, they don't come with the felt spacers that provide tension to keep the vent pointed where you want it.

If you have/had factory AC, you can reuse your old felts by transferring them to the new vent. There're also 2 strips of adhesive backed foam vent sealant at the top and bottom of the vent between the long axis of the bezel, (item 5 in the diagram) and the vent.

If your old felts are no longer serviceable (like mine were), just get some felt furniture foot pads and make your own. They end up just being little rectangular blocks behind the axle of the bezel.

The seals are another matter.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 10, 06:55 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
tom

i cut small pieces of 1/4" rubber and stuck them behind the trunions one on each side works fine

thanks tom
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 10, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Andy

Send a message via AIM to 67SS&99SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Harrison View Post
Pretty sure that #4 part is also needed. I have not installed mine yet so I can't say for sure. One thing I can say is the after getting vintage air (older cable system) thier engineering is not that great, and I thought the instructioned sucked. which leads me to belive what they sold for this set up to work might not be up to par and has crapy instructions.

Thanks for the info. I agree, the instructions aren't great. I've had to bend the hard metal heater lines to get them remotely close to working, the bolt holes in the outlet plate on the firewall had to be slotted because the 4 hoses would never go to the position they were supposed to, the holes weren't drilled correctly in the bracket that supports the evaporator box, so I had to modify it, no spacers were included for the a/c vent, I had to modify the compressor bracket to get the compressor to line up correctly with factory pulleys and the list goes on and on. This should be a direct bolt-in kit for the price. The heater lines in the kit were designed for a 55-56 chevorlet, and when I asked about it, they told me that, "we just try to make as much stuff work from a previously designed kit so that it keeps cost down." I would happily pay more for a direct fit bolt-in kit.

1967 Camaro SS: 406 sbc, 522hp/514 ft lbs, Doug's 1 3/4" headers, M20, posi, 3.73's, vintage air gen IV, IROC steering box, Comp Eng. weld-in sfc's & traction bars, chrome US Mags

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 10, 05:05 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Mines a '69 and the same thing.. The Vintage Air supplied vent is crap. I modified part of an A/C housing that accomodates the OE (repro) vent and the Vintage Air housing so it would fit.

http://www.usmuscle.com.au/Forum/sho...&postcount=294

I'm surprised at what they supply is so lame in terms of look, fit and function, as you can't switch off the V-A vent.
The fact that mine is RHD makes no difference.

Nov 68 Van Nuys. 327 floor-shift-auto, Frost Green and not much else when new.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode