A/C and Headers - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 10, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Terry

Unhappy A/C and Headers

Has anyone found a (reasonably priced) set of headers that fit with the A/C box installed? I've searched and can't seem to find any info out there.... 67 small block w/ a/c.

Thanks,

Terry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 10, 03:55 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Re: A/C and Headers

This has been explored for years and no manufacturer out there makes a header for A/C equipped cars! The issue as you, I and others have discovered is the A/C Box! You could bash them to gain clearance but the heat will have its toll if not sufficient clearance!

The only option is to purchase a set and modify them to your specs to clear the a/c box so as not to melt it or put a hole in it.

Sanders makes a cast header that is tight but again it is not full length and does not give much in performance gain over the regular cast manifolds.

Be very leary of suppliers that claim they fit a/c as others here have purchased these and found that they needed to cut them up or bash them to gain clearance. Again you want clearance for the a/c box or things will melt.

As far as a bolt in header goes for a/c there is no such thing available.

Lots of posts to confirm this in the forums.

Sorry to dissapoint you

67 RSSS Van Nuys, 4th week Sept,1966
ps,tilt,headrest,spd warn,pw,am/fm,delux int,
remote mirror,rear defrost,tint glass.etc...
TKO 600 Extreme,12bolt 3:73 gears.

Last edited by 67RSSS; Oct 17th, 10 at 09:23 PM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 10, 05:11 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Derek

Send a message via AIM to 97 CAIVIAROSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67RSSS View Post
This has been explored for years and no manufacturer out there makes a header for A/C equipped cars! The issue as you, I and others have discovered is the A/C Box!

The only option is to purchase a set and modify them to your specs to clear the a/c box so as not to melt it or put a hole in it.

Sanders makes a cast header that is tight but again it is not full length and does not give much in performance gain over the regular cast manifolds.

Be very leary of suppliers that claim they fit a/c as others here have purchased these and found that they needed to cut them up!

As far as a bolt in header goes for a/c there is no such thing available.

Lots of posts to confirm this in the forums.

Sorry to dissapoint you
I am happy to say this is not true.

I have a 67 with factory A/C with a 383 smallblock with AFR straight plug heads and have Dynatech 1 5/8 to 1 3/4 stepped longtubes and have NO clearence issues with the a/c suit case. They are the best fitting header I have put on a car. I was inially sent a passenger side that did not fit with the a/c. They sent me out a redesigned header in July that fit perfect. (Great customer service - I dealt with Jeffrey at extension 6204) Don't know if it matters but I purchased them directly from them. I will take a pic and attempt to post it up tomorrow. Also the driver's side fit with no clearance issues too. The four bolt collector flange is also nice.

Derek

97 Camaro SS #1925 6spd (Cammed, now it sounds right!)
67 Camaro SS 350 #s Matching (Being Restored..umm covered in garage
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
11 GMC Sierra 2500hd (Driveway Queen)
09 Tahoe 204,000 with a ton of new parts (Work)

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 10, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Terry

Thanks Derek, what was the part #? A couple of picture's would be great! Do you have PS also?

Thanks
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 10, 08:32 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

I stand corrected, yes would like to see pics also and get part #s

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 10, 07:28 AM
Senior Tech
Michael

I also had the header/AC compatibility issue until I noticed a '67 Camaro with a set of Doug Thorley tri-Y headers. Everything fit (AC and PS) and the tri-y design is supposed to help with low speed torque which makes sense for an AC equipped car. My car is a '67 RS/SS 350 4 speed with a factory AC/Sanden R134a hybrid setup.

I think I have the Thorley THY-375Y set, but I really should check the stamp on the header flange.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 10, 07:37 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Derek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry C View Post
Thanks Derek, what was the part #? A couple of picture's would be great! Do you have PS also?

Thanks
Terry

I do have power steering. I have part number 401-91120130C which is a the 1 5/8 to 1 3/4 stepped header with coating and the 3 inch reducer cone. If you have 2.5 inch exhaust you would need 401-91120125C. I also had to get the A/C bracket to suppor the rear of the A6 Compressor part # 60-03006. Also I could get to every spark plug with a regular sparkplug socket. A couple I had to pull the rubber insert but it went on. That was with the AFR 195 straight plug heads do not know about angle plug heads. It does say they do not fit with a powerglide trans. I pulled my orginal powerglide for a TKO600. There website is www.dynatechheaders.com

Quote:
I stand corrected, yes would like to see pics also and get part #s
Chris

I would not say corrected just more informed. I read all the same posts that you have before calling Dynatech. They said if they did not fit they would refund all my money and pay to ship them back. The first passenger's side did not fit. When I called (thanks to a camaros.net member who had the same issue) they advised they would send me out a redesigned header at no charge and would send a call tag for the old one. The redesigned header went in with absolutely no problems. I did put a VERY slight dent where it just BARELY touched my lakewood bellhousing.
Our car/builds are very similar! My car is also has a good amount of factory options, not as many as yours but alot for the time. I have a 383/afr heads with a tko600 and 12 bolt.

Derek

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 10, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Terry

Thanks for your help guys, if you could post a couple of pix's Derek I'll be on my way to Dynatech!!

Thanks again,
Terry
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 10, 05:02 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Derek

Quote:
Thanks for your help guys, if you could post a couple of pix's Derek I'll be on my way to Dynatech!!

Thanks again,
Terry

Ok pics are below. I did forget one thing the #6 primary tube I did dent near the A/C box for more clearance. It was not touching but wanted some more air between them. (I just took a rag and placed it over the primary and hit it a couple of times with a hammer, did not damage the coating) It is a little deceiving in the pic but I can fit my finger between the #8 primary and the suitcase. Hope this helps make up your mind.

I was thinking of putting some sort of heat barrier on the lower edge of the suitcase for some insurance, but I did not know how it would look or if it would stay on it.

Derek

)

Last edited by 97 CAIVIAROSS; Oct 18th, 10 at 05:16 PM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 10, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Terry

Perfect, thanks Derek I'll give Jeff a call. One last question, are you using stock motor mounts and engine frame mounts?
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 10, 05:34 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Derek

Quote:
Perfect, thanks Derek I'll give Jeff a call. One last question, are you using stock motor mounts and engine frame mounts?
Yes they are.

)
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 10, 06:46 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Thanks for the pics Derek, Yes that is pretty close to the A/c box. I think i would add a barrier also. You could maybe add a few strips of header tape in the area and paint it with high heat black to hide it. It will stick and not damage the evaporator box.

I have a starter heat shield blanket that i would cut up and velcro in place that would protect that area. Motor is going to torque over also so would be good insurance.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 10, 07:01 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Derek

Quote:
Thanks for the pics Derek, Yes that is pretty close to the A/c box. I think i would add a barrier also. You could maybe add a few strips of header tape in the area and paint it with high heat black to hide it. It will stick and not damage the evaporator box.

I have a starter heat shield blanket that i would cut up and velcro in place that would protect that area. Motor is going to torque over also so would be good insurance.
Chirs,

Not a bad idea on the heat shield. Should hold if I get some of that industrial strength stuff and put a line of it across about a quarter of the way up and wrap the shielding underneath and secure it. Will have to definitely look into it over the winter. It is a little deceiving in the pics but there actually some room there.

Derek

)
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 10, 05:39 AM
Senior Tech
Michael

Provided the suitcase doesn't actually contact the header or exhaust manifold, they actually put up with an enormous amount of heat with no damage.

Having stated that, Thermo-Tech, Cool It makes a thin adhesive heat barrier that works very well. I used it on the lower portion of my suitcase as insurance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode