68' sbc w/ac heater core replacement - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 10, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
kevin

68' sbc w/ac heater core replacement

Hello all! Getting ready to replace my leaking heater core on my 68' RS 327 With a/c. I've read alot of previous threads on how to r & r the heater box and think I have a pretty good idea on tackling the project. However, one thing I'm curious about is accessing the lower heater hose & clamp. It's hard to even see from the top, and looks impossible to reach from the bottom. It's in a very remote location with the inner fender and A/C evaporator case blocking access. Without cutting an access hole in the inner fender, does anyone have any suggestions for getting to this hose? Any other tips for this job are also appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 10, 09:22 AM
Senior Tech
Michael

Re: 68' sbc w/ac heater core replacement

I always take the fender off.

Well, the hood too of course.

You do know that the suitcase in the engine compartment will be coming off the firewall and the airbox by your passenger's feet actually houses the heater core (yeah, that's coming out too)?

Just undoing the two heater hoses, is only the start of the process. It's not like you undo the two water lines and the heater core falls out. Don't forget to get a new heater hose grommet, the little duckbill flap at the bottom of the suitcase and new hoses while you are at it.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 10, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
kevin

Michael, I understand that the heater core doesnt just "fall out" after removing the hoses. My question specifically was geared towards access of the lower hose which appears to be a difficult reach. Is this why you are saying the evap. suitcase has to come off? Alot of the threads I've been reading say that heater core replacement can be done w/out removing the fender. Removal of heater box is done through interior under dash. Any thoughts?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 10, 01:07 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

I think all heater cores come out without removing the fender. It is the "going back in" that's the problem. Some people are able to get them in, some aren't. The probability is higher if you rebuild your original core because the spigots will be at the same exact angle, assuming you don't need to replace them.

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 10, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
kevin

Thanks Tom! I was actually thinking about having my old one redone just for that reason. I've heard that the spigot angles on the repros are sometimes different.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 10, 05:48 AM
Senior Tech
Michael

I think?

The late '60's Chevelles had a circular embossment in the passenger fender skirt that was used as a cutting template for access to the blower motor (we get a subtle dent to let us know where the blower is), so you didn't have to remove the fender. Remove the tire, cut your hole, swap your blower, make a hole cover and apply to fender skirt with sheet metal screws.

The point of this is; the blower is easy to change, heck even the evaporator is easy (IMO) compared to swapping out the heater core on an AC car. Maybe you can pull the core without all the sheetmetal disassembly, but I do because it's pretty straigtforward and I never pass up an opportunity to fix the other things that get exposed during dissassembly.

If Tom says you can remove the core without sheetmetal removal, you can. I believe in you.

Let us know how it goes. I try to learn something new every day.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 10, 06:51 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahunt View Post
I think?

The late '60's Chevelles had a circular embossment in the passenger fender skirt that was used as a cutting template for access to the blower motor (we get a subtle dent to let us know where the blower is), so you didn't have to remove the fender. Remove the tire, cut your hole, swap your blower, make a hole cover and apply to fender skirt with sheet metal screws.

If Tom says you can remove the core without sheetmetal removal, you can.
Cutting a hole makes too much sense. I considered it myself.

Thanks for the vote of confidence Michael but the truth be told I've only swapped the core on non-ac cars and I had to pull the fender to get mine back in. Whether you need to pull the fender or not is a topic of much debate. In my case pulling it was the path of least assbusting.

-
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 10, 07:32 AM
Retired
Jim

This sure makes it easy, then a steel plate with 4 sheetmetal screws holding the plate over the hole with 3M dumdum to seal it so water doesnt splash around the plate:

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 10, 07:56 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Sweet. Adapt and overcome!

-
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 10, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
kevin

thanks guys! I've considered cutting an access hole. particularly now after looking at the pictures, looks like it would make life a whole lot easier. Especially if I need to replace the bolwer motor. Only thing is...I'm kind of a purist and the car more than just a driver- not sure if I can handle the patch on the inner fender. Decisions, decisions! Can anyone recommend where I can buy a quality heater core from? I've heard alot of horror stories about the aftermarket ones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode