thermostat housing - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 10, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

thermostat housing

I have what I believe is a chrome thermostat housing (looks like this, but PO put it on so I have no idea if it's really cheap chrome or stainless steal: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_2816wt_820.)

It's leaking ever so slightly. My questions are:

1) is it possible that this is a cheap POS part and the bolts are tight to the point that they make the center section not seal properly?
2) if I do need to replace this housing, is there any reason to spend $50+s&h for the one from Ricks (or other parts house), or can I get away with picking one up from a local parts store?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 10, 03:15 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Keith

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to keithl1967
Re: thermostat housing

local parts store is fine...in all likelihood, you can pull the one that you have off, put a new gasket, with some gasket sealer, and you'll stop your leak...

Unless, of course, you are looking for originality.

Keith
1967 Camaro
406, 10:1, comp xr282HR, Dart Iron Eagle 200cc, Holley Contender dual plane, Holley 750 DP
Muncie M-20
GM 8.5, 3.73 posi
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 10, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Generally, O-ring housings get overtorqued, warped into a bowed shape and leak.
The one shown is chromed alum housing.

As Keith suggested, buy one from a parts house.
If you want, buy the reusable thick FelPro gasket.
Snug the bolts, you're not torquing a cylinder head.

Check the construction inside, make sure the bolt bosses have no holes and the holes are close to center about the bosses to prevent the coolant seeping out the threads. Another member here had one leaked from day one and after several attempts to stop the leakage, he bought another one and compared the two. The leaky one had half the bolt showing inside.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 10, 04:44 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

fel-pro makes a nice one..no o-rings!

BILL D.
JOHN 3:16
SEMPER FI
if you have a bbc in your 1st gen 67-69 camaro click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post yours up!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

if you have an all original 1st gen camaro 67-69 click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post your up!!

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 10, 07:08 PM
Senior Tech
mike

Here is a decent G.M. water neck $5.95

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NAL-10108470/

1967 convertible T-1
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 10, 11:02 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

If want one to last a couple decades.. get an orginal GM one
I wen thru a few chrome crap metal gasket types lasted stuff all
I now use the O ring type..they dont corrode thru the top
As mentioned above dont over torque...I also use a little locktite orange gasketmaker on the inside side of the O ring.

Unless getting Genuine GM, treat them as a 'disposable' item every few yrs ..like tie rod ends.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 10, 01:42 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

Chrome plated pot metal (POS). Will warp with just heat! -No need to over-torque. (A few inch-pounds is plenty, anyway)

Wet & dry sand paper on a sheet of glass or something flat, kerosene and elbow-grease will flatten it nicely until it warps some more.

The O-ring is a good idea, but the Made in China quality is very typical.

As suggested, get a used GM housing and a re-useable FelPro O-ring gasket.
Much better.

Nov 68 Van Nuys. 327 floor-shift-auto, Frost Green and not much else when new.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 10, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackoutSteve View Post
Wet & dry sand paper on a sheet of glass or something flat, kerosene and elbow-grease will flatten it nicely until it warps some more.
Someone actually suggested that to me before I read this. I certainly like the idea of saving a few bucks, but I don't like the idea of it just getting warped again. Think I'll hunt for an orig GM.

Incidentally, I'm getting rid of the chrome-plated radiator hose, too. Just a little too much bling bling, for my tastes anyway .

Thanks, all, for the feedback.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 10, 10:29 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
Just a little too much bling bling,
Chrome for show, black for track m8
you would be very surpised how much heat a polished or chrome hoses, sumps, tappet covers, diff covers, trans sumps etc hold heat in....and how much they disperse with a coat of matt black...and how many track engines have been destoryed by oil running hot and latent heat ..

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 10, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
Chrome for show, black for track m8
you would be very surpised how much heat a polished or chrome hoses, sumps, tappet covers, diff covers, trans sumps etc hold heat in....and how much they disperse with a coat of matt black...and how many track engines have been destoryed by oil running hot and latent heat ..
I haven't played in a long time, but that reminds me of the old saying in golf: "Drive for show, putt for dough."

I'm really not a fan of any inappropriate chrome, so the info about heat build up is very good to know. PO put a lot of it in places that I wouldn't (therm housing, rad hose, diff cover, fuel lines, alternator, A/C compressor). But, you know, it's there and paid for, whereas non-chrome will have to be bought. Maybe I need to post some classified ads and look for some trades.

Last edited by ZaCamaro69; Oct 26th, 10 at 06:09 PM.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 10, 04:46 PM
Senior Tech
mike

I also have one of these they are really nice and will probably last lifetime plus they swivel and come in 1 1/4" and 1 1/2" and -16 AN outlets

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CSI-912C/

1967 convertible T-1
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 10, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOGDADDY View Post
I also have one of these they are really nice and will probably last lifetime plus they swivel and come in 1 1/4" and 1 1/2" and -16 AN outlets

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CSI-912C/
Stupid question, but does swivel not deteriorate the integrity of the housing at some point? Seems like if it's on a swivel there would be more parts to wear out/warp/whatever.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 10, 06:38 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
but that reminds me of the old saying in golf: "Drive for show, putt for dough."
Yeah when I 1st started playing golf...(a cheap working mans game in NZ)...I got down to around a 20 handycap...and stayed static...had a round with the club pro (not a lesson), and that wa his comment...dropped to a 13 very quick...(he also called it "% golf")

Quote:
Stupid question, but does swivel not deteriorate the integrity of the housing at some point? Seems like if it's on a swivel there would be more parts to wear out/warp/whatever.
Nope not stupid, that though has always crossed my mine when I see them or need to replace one...alway stuck with what I know works, so really havnt a clue to the answer. A55- U & me ptions but dont KNOW..big diff.

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 10, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
Yeah when I 1st started playing golf...(a cheap working mans game in NZ)
Golf is a cheap working man's game in the land of Kiwis!!?? I'm moving! But shipping the Maro will not be cheap.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 10, 10:42 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

M8 this country is so screwed up
Golf is a working mans game...it is the most participant played game in the country by a long shot....working man Im talking a part picker in a warehouse, the guy leaning on the shovel at the road side.
Boating...we have more boats..not dyngys, from 12" to bloody huge than anywhere in the world...every 2nd backyard has a boat, usually round a 18 to 22' runabout.
Hunting is a working mans sport...as is hot rodding and motorsports.
Quote:
But shipping the Maro will not be cheap.
Rubbish..drive to LA about $NZ4500 landed here..thats just just over 3K US
And if over 20yrs dont have to convert to right hand drive
Full comnprehensive insurance here about $NZ625 for 50K
Annual regist if a 1st gen $NZ about 125
Petrol last time I checked, mexeco is cheapest, then the US with Aussie and NZ not far behind (taking into a/c exchange rate and taxes.)
health and education is free..but a doctor will cost u...cant rem $5 or $10 for an adult??
Now think of another excuse lol
And "Maro" here is a GM Aussie MONARO lol
And not to be aquesed of hyjacking the thread lol
The Aussie HK/ HT Monaro uses the 350 sb and thermostat housing

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
thermostat housing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode