68 Camaro Cowl Plenum Duct's - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 10, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Max Stewart

Send a message via Yahoo to bigbuckcity
68 Camaro Cowl Plenum Duct's

I have a 68 Camaro Coupe with out A/C, that caught on Fire while driving, caused by a leak at the Carburetor, Needless to say from the Carburetor back thru out the Interior and Trunk every thing was melted or destroyed! The Camaro had an Extreme Make Over which started in June 2010. The Body Work is all done now, and ready for paint, and then the process of buying, finding new replacement parts....My biggest problem is finding the Astro Ventilation replacement parts, I have asked this question prior on Team Camaro, and got several responses, saying every thing can be purchased new, EXCEPT for the right and left ducts that go in the Cowl Plenum. I have found a donor Camaro, but we cannot figure out how to remove these two ducts, one on the right side and one on the left side!!!
Want to clarify what I am calling the Cowl Plenum, it is the area below the removable piece where the windshield wiper arms connect to, (the slotted panel at the back of the hood, and just in front of the windshield) that I understand when the Camaro is being driven, the Air goes into this slotted area, and then the Air goes into the Two ducts for the Astro Ventilation to bring fresh air into the interior.............Does any one know how to remove these right and left ducts??? Also I need ALL the Heater/Ventilation duct work, including the Defrost Duct that looks like a big "Y". I was able to salvage the Heater Metal Case, had to purchase a new heater core, Heater Control Panel, the 3 Heater Cables, and a new Heater Blower Wheel, I need every thing else, can some body help me with finding these hopefully used parts, even though they would be 42 years old, I would hope to be able to clean them up and reuse them, any that I cannot reuse, will have to purchase new!!!!!!!!!!! I do hope some one understands what I am trying to describe, if more information is needed, please contact me at::
[email protected]

Thank You, Max in Las Vegas, NV

Last edited by bigbuckcity; Oct 20th, 10 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Want to point out to put a Fire Extinguisher in your Ride!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 10, 10:46 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Larry

Re: 68 Camaro Cowl Plenum Duct's

They attach with 3 sheet metal screws per side. The screws go through a sort of big triangular shaped stamped steel piece that clamps the plastic to the firewall. I have a complete heater box and Y duct in pretty good shape I took out to install a vintage Air system. PM me if interested.

68 RS Coupe 355/350 TH, Detroit Speed, Hotchkis, Vintage Air, 8.5" 3.42 posi 10-bolt, MagnaFlow 2 1/2" exhaust, etc.

"The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men."
Samuel Adams
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 10, 10:32 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Larry

Below is a picture of the metal piece that is attached under the dash for the Astro Ventilation. The 3 screws are accessed from inside the car under the dash.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0831.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	18338  

68 RS Coupe 355/350 TH, Detroit Speed, Hotchkis, Vintage Air, 8.5" 3.42 posi 10-bolt, MagnaFlow 2 1/2" exhaust, etc.

"The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men."
Samuel Adams

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 10, 08:29 PM
Senior Tech
Dale

On my factory air 68. I do not remember there being a left side duct, under the cowl panel. There is a right side plenum door. That is attached to the cowl

The actuator is avaliable through old air products. The rest of the door and assy will need to be found used.
Only the right kick panel is open on a factory ac car.

The left side has no holes/grille.

68 Dana 302, 68 rs 327 daily driver/family car, 71 rs, track car/ driver, 68 firebird 400, 70 formula 400, 73 type LT, 98 TA, 2 goofy kids and an incredible wife.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 10, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Max Stewart

Send a message via Yahoo to bigbuckcity

Thanks for your reply, BUT my 68 Camaro Coupe is not an A/C Car, I have recently looked at a Project 68 Camaro Coupe, and it indeed does have the Right and Left Side Cowl Plenum ducts, I have yet to find out if the 67 and 69 Camaro?Firebirds have the Factory Cowl Plenum ducts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Also I am still trying to find and purchase both the Right and Left side Cowl Plenum ducts, no luck finding them so far, I have been told that every thing is available to purchase new reproduction parts for the Astro Air Ventilation System, EXCEPT for the Cowl Plenum Ducts, which no one is reproducing, why I have no idea. Does any one know where I can find these?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 10, 04:08 AM
Senior Tech
jerry

They have used ones listed here:

http://www.camarocentral.com/CAMARO_...TS_s/41050.htm
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 10, 06:46 AM
Senior Tech
STEVE

PM sent, e-mail me when you get the message
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 10, 04:16 PM
Senior Tech
STEVE

e-mailed the pics, let me know what you think
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 10, 05:11 AM
Senior Tech
STEVE

couldn't find the defroster duct, but total $ with shipping for astro parts sent today
regards,
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode