Vintage air - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 10, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeremie

Vintage air

Need a vintage air expert???Anyone running a stock small block 3 row radiator with vintage air, if so does it run hot? Is vintage air gen 4 sure fit system a pretty easy do it urselfer or is it worth 800 bucks to have a pro install?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 10, 09:17 AM
Rick

Re: Vintage air

I installed my sure fit gen 4 in my 69 and it took three days with the removal of the old heater cover taking the most time. The best way to do it is by removing your passenger fender or the inner fender well, one or the other should be removed. You can do it without removing them (I did) but it really adds time and difficulty to the process. Then the A/C shop charged me 300 to cut and crimp the rubber lines and charge the system so if the 800 includes charging the system I would just go ahead and have them do it!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 10, 09:39 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Larry

I installed my own kit and agree mostly with Rick. I used the lines they supplied and they worked great with no cutting required so it was only about $150 to have it evacuated and charged. Use a shop that has done aftermarket installs before if you can and take in the directions they supply for charging - it has to be the correct amount of freon. Read the directions carefully and take your time, the system is very well designed IMO and fits great. I live in the desert and have no cooling issues with a new 3-row and 3300 cfm electric fan and shroud. I 7-blade mechanical and properly installed shroud should be fine as well given the rest of the system is in good shape. I also enjoy the process as much as the results so the $800 is up to you depending on yu budget and how much you like to do these types of projects. It is pretty involved and took me probably 30-40 hours.

68 RS Coupe 355/350 TH, Detroit Speed, Hotchkis, Vintage Air, 8.5" 3.42 posi 10-bolt, MagnaFlow 2 1/2" exhaust, etc.

"The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men."
Samuel Adams

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 10, 09:55 AM
Senior Tech
Terry

I installed Classic Auto Air in my '68 Camaro. The ac system is very similar to Vintage Air. Never had any ac experience in my life. Did it alone. Had to read the instructions about four times. CAA's system came with the hoses. I had them make them extra long without crimped fittings on one end so I could tailor them to run behind the fender apron. The hose shop only charged me $15.00 to crimp the fittings on. It cost $118.00 to have the the system evacuated and charged up with R134. Altogether spent around $1400.00. Took about 40 hours with the seats out, the AM radio removed, with the fender and fender apron on (made it more time consuming). Still blows cold and its been two years since installing it. I also dynamatted the firewall, floor, to rear glass/hat shelf. Tinted the rear glass 80%. No overheating issues with a 3 row std radiator. Recently went to an alum radiator because I installed a 200-4R.

$800 sounds cheap to have a "Pro" do it. I emphasize "Pro"
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 10, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeremie

Thanks for the info. Just didnt know if alot of experiance was required. The price i got was 2,000-2,100 because he hasnt looked at my pullys. He is a vintage air dealer, but i never asked about system getting charged? Thanks for the tip, i will ask.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 10, 09:52 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

There is 2-3 days work in a system.

71 Camaro 355 NA
11.1650 @ 119.30
1.5028 60'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode