Mechanical water temp gauge on 69 350 - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 10, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Marc

Mechanical water temp gauge on 69 350

I have the original 350 in my 69, and it has an electrical sending unit for the water temp (for the gauges in the console). I would like to install a mechanical one, but can't for the life of me figure out where it could go. It has a 70 LT-1 intake that does has a plugged off hole in the very front of the manifold, but don't know if it will work there. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 10, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: Mechanical water temp gauge on 69 350

Depends upon the length of the sensor at the end of the Bourdon tube, manifold may not be deep enough. I would try at the pass side head between Cyl's 6 & 8.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 10, 05:28 PM
Senior Tech
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
Depends upon the length of the sensor at the end of the Bourdon tube, manifold may not be deep enough. I would try at the pass side head between Cyl's 6 & 8.
Autometer has an extension fitting that will work in the manifold if the length of the Bourdon tube is an issue. The extension fitting will also work in the cylinder head if needed.

David F.
www.firstgens.com

"All I need is a fast machine". Steve McQueen
My Machine: 1969 Pro Street Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

468 CID 661 Horsepower
Turbo 400
33"x19.50" Mickey Thompsons

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 10, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Marc

Thanks guys. Will look into that.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 10, 09:39 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Mat ?I ask , why do you want to run a mechanical instead of an electical?

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 10, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Marc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
Mat ?I ask , why do you want to run a mechanical instead of an electical?
Well, I have the console gauges, but always felt more confident with the accuracy of mechanical gauges. Opinions?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 10, 02:46 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Just my opinion...Personally I think choice is a personal preference...
I much prefer electical
1/ less risk of leak due to long term vibtation rubbing
2/Electrical is very fast response when things go wrong...saying that I also run idoit lights.
3/Install and maintance far easier
4/When something goes wrong with electrical it either doesnt read or reads super hot..broken wire or short, or know the sensor is stuffed

A note on installing sensor in head or manifold...
There is stuff all diff between the 2 locations....but in the head one gets temps come up very fast on cold start because the thermostat hasnt opened, where as in the manifold one can see the thermostat open.
Routing the loom from the fender to head...I extended, sliped my loom up under the fender, and run the temp wire along the bottom of the top radiator hose, hidden away.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 10, 07:22 PM
Senior Tech
Al

I chose electric, basically because you usually need to drill a hole in the firewall big enough to throw a cat through for the mech type.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 10, 06:35 AM
Senior Tech
Jeremie

I have since switched to factory console gauges on my 69 but when I had a mechanical temp gauge I took of the cover on my firewall where the cluch would have been (I have an Automatic). I drilled a hole in that plate and put temp line through there with rubber grommett. Then if I got rid of mechanical line I would just need a new plate rather then having a hole forever in my firewall. Just an idea??
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 10, 05:09 AM
Guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPOS View Post
I chose electric, basically because you usually need to drill a hole in the firewall big enough to throw a cat through for the mech type.
True... I made a rubber grommet to fit the hole out of a larger one and put it in the clutch hole plate just like MTN10 did. I just split the grommet and 'adjusted' it's diameter until it fit the hole perfectly.
But when I want to move my gauges or need to pull the water temp gauge, it's gotta come through that hole in the firewall again!! What a pain... and the grommet is hidden under the master\booster.

I have both hooked up... sensor in the drivers head along with a mechanical gauge. The idiot light isn't really needed because I keep my eye on the gauge instead. But if it ever gets hot enough to shine at me, I peek at the gauge and watch it raise and lower.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode