Heater box replacement - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 10, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ralph

Heater box replacement

I have a 1969 Camaro that was orginally a small block car, it now has a 502. The heater box was not changed when the engine was installed. I would like to replace the heater box on the firewall to the big block style. The question I have is can I get the old heater box off and the new one on without removing the passingers side finder and inner finder ??

Part 2. Do I have to change or modify the heater on the inside of the car when I do this since the heater core will be in a differance place. Classic Muscle sell a BB heater box coversion kits to do this with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 10, 07:09 PM
Senior Tech
Camarodude67

Re: Heater box replacement

Just do a search, this has been answered 20 times before. You do not have to remove the fender, there are detailed pics on how to get this done.

I converted my 69 Ragtop from 350 to Big Block and left the heater core alone, because it is a pain. Luckily for me it was a low mileage car and had a good core.

Jeff G.
69 Vert Triple Black
69 Vert LM1 RS
69 Vert SS Hugger Orange
http://community.webshots.com/user/jeff69rag2001
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 10, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ralph

I have considered replacing the SB heater core and just using it. The one that is in it now leaks. The Hoses coming out of the heater core would be close to the Valve covers on the 502. But It would work. I really do not want to remove the finder on the car and take a chance of scratching it.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 10, 09:44 AM
Senior Tech
Al

I think if you want to remove the box that's under the hood you have to remove the fender - UNLESS - you have really skinny arms with 3 elbows, or are willing to cut an access hole in the inner fender.

What's easier is to convert your existing box to a big block style, and you can do it in place. Do a search. There is a part you have to buy and you have to drill a couple of holes and plug off the SB core tube holes.

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...ore#post742760

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by BPOS; Nov 12th, 10 at 11:41 AM. Reason: better link
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 10, 01:51 PM
Senior Tech

Yes, as Al said, it is easy to convert the box without removing the firewall side cover. The repro BBC cover is not a good piece anyway, much thinner gage than OE. All you need are the measurements, a correctly sized hole saw, and the reinforcing plate and gasket.

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 10, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ralph

Can you attach a link to where I can get the measurement to drill the holes in the existing SB heater box and convert it to a BB heater core. It looks like it would be pretty close if I put the reinforcing plate just to the right of the V indention in the Heater box and marked the center of the holes. ???????
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 10, 12:01 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPOS View Post
I think if you want to remove the box that's under the hood you have to remove the fender - UNLESS - you have really skinny arms with 3 elbows, or are willing to cut an access hole in the inner fender.

What's easier is to convert your existing box to a big block style, and you can do it in place. Do a search. There is a part you have to buy and you have to drill a couple of holes and plug off the SB core tube holes.

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...ore#post742760

Haha too funny Al. I am swapping out my inner because someone along the way cut hole in the inner to access the heater motor. Then they never ever welded a patch on the inner. Caused a lot of trouble with rust. I say stay away from cutting a hole in the inner and go the suggested route. You will be much happier in the long run. The fender is a bit of a pain to remove I found. I had to take most of the front end off to get mine off properly. The inner and out kind of wrap around each other. Plus you have to be very careful when removing not to scratch your srrounding paint. I also snapped off quite a few bolt heads in the process, which is also a pain. If you car is original and those bolts have never come out, you need to check out Martin Sr.'s post on rusty bolt extraction. It will save you a ton of problems. Wish I had seen it a few weeks earlier.

Good luck.

Grandma, 69.5, Z/28 Finally Done! Well almost...

My Build Thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 10, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ralph

When I did the search for 742760 , I could not access it. Will I have to update my membership to have access to old files?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 10, 06:07 PM
Banned
Bethanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveoldchevys View Post
When I did the search for 742760 , I could not access it. Will I have to update my membership to have access to old files?
Mike and Al both posted the link. Just click on it !!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 10, 08:50 PM
Senior Tech
Silvio

Let me know if you will go with a big block heater box. I'm in need of a small block heater box if you decide to replace it.

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 10, 11:54 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

The great first gen mystery: Why didn't GM use the BB box in all Camaro's?

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 10, 01:18 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Ficarra View Post
I've wondered that myself. Even with a small block it's still a crappy setup.

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 10, 01:51 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Ficarra View Post
Why oh why????

Skunk Works
302DZ, M22W Muncie, GV overdrive,12-Bolt Rear 3.73
Some photos:

Member # 159
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 10, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ralph

Project is complete, I took the measurements off another BIg Block Camaro and used the small block blower duct on mine. I took a 1" metal hole saw and cut the holes . Installed the BB heater core in the heater and reinstalled the heater. The holes aligned perfectly. Purchashed the BB core tube support and seal. Works gerat and looks just like the factory.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 10, 05:31 PM
Senior Tech
Al

You're welcome.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode