radiator - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 10, 05:03 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bill

radiator

Ok, I am looking at replacing my radiator with an alum. version for better cooling. Does anyone know off hand what the dimensions of a '67 radiator are and any recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 10, 05:27 AM
Senior Tech
Jeremie

Re: radiator

The debate of alum vs copper will rage on. Dimensions on small bock should be 21 inch bb is 23 inch (at least on a 69). Are you looking for electric fan setup, or running mech fan? Are u having cooling problems?
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 10, 06:44 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

If the alum rad is the same size as the copper/brass that you are replacing, don't expect any real benefits unless your copper/brass is in need of a clean.
A weight saving is the only real saving of alum. Very few fabricated alum radiators fit supports or shrouds as well as copper/brass with OE tanks.

Nov 68 Van Nuys. 327 floor-shift-auto, Frost Green and not much else when new.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 10, 06:55 AM
Senior Tech

Then there's the whole electrolysis thing.... http://www.rondavisradiators.com/tech.htm
http://www.usaradiator.com/informati...ctrolysis2.pdf
.http://www.usaradiator.com/informati...blemsMount.pdf
It happens to aluminum intakes, too, but they're so thick it takes a long time to corrode thru.

post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 10, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bill

Ok, let me add this. 1. I have a small block in my '67 camaro w/ an auto trans. 2. I am planning on a high volume water pump - alum. also. 3. I was under the assumption that an alum. radiator would disperse heat better and help w/ the cooling - Am I wrong? Really not trying to stir up controversy just want to be able to cruise Woodward or any other small town parade and not overe heat. yes, I have checked the thermostate and that is good, belts are good, new alternator- 70 amp. I grant you the alternator has nothing to do with cooling. Just needed to replace it so I got a 70 amp unit.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 10, 10:59 AM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
3. I was under the assumption that an alum. radiator would disperse heat better and help w/ the cooling - Am I wrong?
Well Im not so sure....brass is a dam good conductor of heat and so is Aluminum
The brass radiator is way over built that it requires a restiction to run properly.
Check the xmas link my sig it you want to know about slow cruising ...doesnt go over 165 deg...and xmas here is in middle of summer...and no hi vol pump either.

Difference between...Well at the end of the day its sort of like asking if a kenworth or Mac truck would be best for towing a car transporter trailer...

With the brass , clutch fan , shroud, clean cores its simple to setup
The Al electric fans etc lots of posts here for when you run into problems.
And the timing at bottom end rpms is not over advanced or retarded...or the carb too lean

Quote:
want to be able to cruise Woodward or any other small town parade and not overe heat.
So do you have a problem now?
or do you thing you MAY have a problem?
And If you thing you MAY have a problem, would it not be better to establish if you actual'y do have a problem?
THEN sort it out?....most proberly by getting the header tanks pulled on the radiator and cores cleaned.....make sure have the right shroud...new bottom hose, and the clutch is not sloppy on the bearings

Also check that at the rpms that u intend to cruise with, there is enough water flowing ...look inside the radiator at the flow and check against the rpms.
A simple pully size may do the trick.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 10, 11:43 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

Alumitech aluminum radiators look like the original and claim 30% improvement in cooling over stock 4 core the same size. They also have tabs that will hold your lower shroud in place as an option at no extra cost. They aren't cheap but they look great and have an excellent reputation for quality, service and cooling. I bought one for mine and it's in but not yet driven as the cars is still in the restoration process.

69 Pace Car and 69 Hard top
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 10, 12:12 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jon

I use a becool in a 67 sbc. The radiator is a big block application. Fits perfect with no mods. Also went with the dual fan set up. I can get the part # if you need it.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 10, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bill

Steptoe-So do you have a problem now? When I cruise the temp goes up to overheating so yes, in the summeer there is a problem.
or do you thing you MAY have a problem?see above
And If you thing you MAY have a problem, would it not be better to establish if you actual'y do have a problem? See #1
THEN sort it out?....most proberly by getting the header tanks pulled on the radiator and cores cleaned.....make sure have the right shroud...new bottom hose, and the clutch is not sloppy on the bearings- Also, realize the car has no heater for interior or defroster.
So, what radiator do you use, do you have any problems?
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 10, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bill

JR- Could you please send me the parts # for the dual fan set up.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 10, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bill

thanks, Steve - I may do more research and go to the Alumitech site to get more info. I had assumed when I posted this it would be a simple question amd a simple answer. Obviously not-LOL! Still learning.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 10, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bill

Steps- Ok, I viewed your Camaro pulling the sleigh and the Jeepster( ok, Jeepster type vehicle) Great looking Camaro. What are you using for radiator? small block?
Thanks in advance
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 10, 01:00 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jon

60009/61009-Standard transmission. 62009/63009-Auto transmission. http://www.becool.com/products/fans/modules
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 10, 01:54 PM
Senior Tech
Jeremie

I agree with what steptoe has said in a different thread. Stock is a good set up or gm would never have used it. I was on the new bigger, badder radiator banwagon this summer. My car would get superhot when i sat in traffic. I ordered a new becool factory fit black alum rad for $699. I returned it after a bought a different fan spacer for $11.99 at oreilys. Problem fixed. Gm spent alot of money devolping a system that worked in 67-69. I dont think it just quit working. If alum rad is what u want then id buy one. But if alum is what your buying to fix a problem id just make sure you try everything else first.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 10, 03:31 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jon

Have you checked your ignition timing? Just a thought...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode