VA hose routing through the kick panel. - Team Camaro Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 10, 06:03 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ted

VA hose routing through the kick panel.

I have a 69 in which I will be installing a VA Gen IV unit. My hoses will run up through the old fan hole and be hidden behind the fender. What have you guys that have done this before. Do to seal off around the kick panel where the hoses will go through to keep water from coming into the passenger compartment. Any finished pictures of the hoses running through the kick panel that you can share?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 10, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ted

Re: VA hose routing through the kick panel.

Anyone have any pictures of their finished work (kick panel area)?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 10, 05:32 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Garage

I did not run my hoses thru there, but I think they make a cover for the blower holes that has a provision for the hoses. I dont think you will get a lot of water thru there- the inner fender should shield most of it, and the fender itself pretty much covers the rest. Still want a good seal of course, but I would be more concerned at keeping engine heat out than water. Have you checked with VA or their website at all? Also, do a search on lateral G or pro-touring sites- i remember seeing a few ways guys have done this. Frank at Prodigy Customs could also help get you set up.
Scott

69 RS LS3/T56
68 Firebird vert LS1/4L60E
67 RS LS2/T56

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 10, 08:01 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Ron

Garage

I purchased a Vintage Air bulkhead, cut a piece of sheet metal the same diameter as blower hole and welded the hole shut. Drilled four holes for the bulkhead, I cut a oval hole above the passenger kick panel inside and lined the oval hole edge with door bumper edging from a local parts store. I don’t plan on driving my Camaro in the rain, but I’m still going to seal both sides of the hole with 3M black calk.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 10, 05:52 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ted

Rtee, I have done roughly the same in that I have the four holes for the hoses cut out in the firewall. And will be using the rubber grommets for around the hoses that I got from Frank. So it's not the water coming through that area that I am thinking of. But the water that drains down from the front cowl onto the hoses and follow them into the passenger compartment. I don't normally drive when it's raining. But have been out when it starts to rain. But I don't let that stop me either. So your saying your kick panel will butt up underneath where your hoses are now? Without any mods to the panel.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 10, 06:37 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Ron

Garage

No, you still will need to notch the top back corner of the kick panel to clear the hose. It’s something you won’t see when you’re sitting in the car. As far as the kick panel Air vents opening, I just ordered the Screamin’ Performance Kick panels and block out cans to seal the Air vents on my 68. Good luck...
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 10, 02:28 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtee View Post
I purchased a Vintage Air bulkhead, cut a piece of sheet metal the same diameter as blower hole and welded the hole shut. Drilled four holes for the bulkhead, I cut a oval hole above the passenger kick panel inside and lined the oval hole edge with door bumper edging from a local parts store. I donít plan on driving my Camaro in the rain, but Iím still going to seal both sides of the hole with 3M black calk.

Just a suggestion on the control valve for the heater. I mount them inside the car so they will be easier to change. You will have fun changing it if it goes bad with your fender in place. And your wires / terminations will be inside the car.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 10, 03:56 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

Mine go through the firewall, right at the edge of the kick panel. To hide the hoses, wires, and control valve, I put in the cover that would be there for a vacuum canister:

http://www.classicindustries.com/cam...s/3895954.html

It hides everything and does not poke out as much as you would think. Cheap too.

-Kevin

'68 RS Camaro, 454 SBC
'69 Camaro, body only
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 10, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ted

Mike, what if the heater control valve inside the car goes bad. Is there a chance that it could leak inside the car and all over the carpet?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 10, 09:51 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

That heater valve gets smoking hot with the a/c on. It is elec energized closed with the a/c on. I would be careful if it was inside the car.

69 SS Silver Camro, LS3 efi, 4L60e with 2800 stall, mini tubed 12bolt 3.73, Ridetech front suspension ladder bar rear.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 10, 05:11 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgifford5 View Post
Mike, what if the heater control valve inside the car goes bad. Is there a chance that it could leak inside the car and all over the carpet?
I mount mine inside the tulip panel on the backside of the kick panel. It is not inside the interior compartment so if it does leak it will drain outside by the fender. Actually the hose inside could go bad and leak.

As far as its smoking "hot", its only as hot as the engine coolant.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode